Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 5, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #316 of 654
the mod basically just seal the pad better no?
I guess somewhat in those lines, but it's on the other side of the pads, which is quite interesting in this case. How did somebody figure this out, and not Hifiman? lol

It's basically sealing the air better for more air flow. This goes to support that sub-bass does depend on seal somewhat. I guess that opening would leak air, and reduce pressure. But, it's quite interesting how this was found out.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #317 of 654
I guess somewhat in those lines, but it's on the other side of the pads, which is quite interesting in this case. How did somebody figure this out, and not Hifiman? lol

It's basically sealing the air better for more air flow. This goes to support that sub-bass does depend on seal somewhat. I guess that opening would leak air, and reduce pressure. But, it's quite interesting how this was found out.

Or maybe it was a deliberate design choice to nerf/differentiate the performance. Total speculation on my part but I assume they would know to do that if they cared to go after more bass.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #318 of 654
The bracket on the ear side has a large gap so the volume is not sealed and this already weakly driven diaphragm can not properly excurse. This mod makes the driver behave much better overall (along with some rear damping because the headphone literally has none).
I thought the seal was just sealing that interior chamber so that there isn't a volume there for the air to flow into, but the tack material reduces the cross-section that the air can flow, and prevent the air from moving into the chamber. TH-X00 vs TH900 tells us that if you reduce the cross-sectional area of the inlet and the pad room, the bass increases.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #319 of 654
Yah i guess that
The bracket on the ear side has a large gap so the volume is not sealed and this already weakly driven diaphragm can not properly excurse. This mod makes the driver behave much better overall (along with some rear damping because the headphone literally has none).
yah i guess that make sense.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #320 of 654

They most likely know, it's only $200 anyway. gotta minimize cost.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #321 of 654
mod to remove the bass roll of
Screenshot (537).pngScreenshot (538).pngScreenshot (539).png
This basically the Stax bluetac mod isn't it? Also, I'm 90% certain people have been doing this to the round cup Hifimans since 2012.
Definitely not hating, but I'm pretty sure this is a well known headphone mod.

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #322 of 654
This basically the Stax bluetac mod isn't it? Also, I'm 90% certain people have been doing this to the round cup Hifimans since 2012.
Really? I've not heard of this for the round cup Hifiman. Don't recall discussion of this on the 500 thread or even for HE6. However, I do recall hearing something about a gap in HE1000V1, and closed (or reduced?) the gap with V2. Somebody claimed this gap caused distortions.

I think it's with the HIfiman's later designs (after the classic era?) the way the drivers are configured that may have some sort of gapped area between the driver and frame.

This the classic round cups, and I don't see any large gaps on there. Certainly not the 5XX.
MG_0120.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #323 of 654

This is correct, there are multiple threads on a few sites including this one that discuss this mod for the he-6.

Nov 6, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #325 of 654
I had a feeling this was bound to happen...I mean this hobby is chuck full of peeps that like to fiddle around with their toys:wink:
The more I think of it the more reasonable it sounds that the first gen Hifimans indeed were made by ‘someone else’..or at the very least made before the company got greedy...like every other big business out there. The fact of the matter remains: those OG drivers are far and away the best thing Hifiman ever sold...and we’re most likely never going to see them in a headphone again (maybe with the exception of even pricier coconuts with inferior designs to the old..ahem HE6se).

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #326 of 654
Hey, at least the HE5XX shares something with the old-school Hifimans, a proud heritage of putting play-doh inside the cups. The legend continues...

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #327 of 654
Really? I've not heard of this for the round cup Hifiman. Don't recall discussion of this on the 500 thread or even for HE6. However, I do recall hearing something about a gap in HE1000V1, and closed (or reduced?) the gap with V2. Somebody claimed this gap caused distortions.

I think it's with the HIfiman's later designs (after the classic era?) the way the drivers are configured that may have some sort of gapped area between the driver and frame.

This the classic round cups, and I don't see any large gaps on there. Certainly not the 5XX.
MG_0120.jpg
Here is someone talking about it in 2016 with the HE6. And in regards to Stax, this is from last year but I know for a fact people have been doing this for awhile. I don't feel like hunting down more posts but @elquixote remembers and I'm sure a few more old timers will know it too.
This isn't a new mod (no offence to FastandClean), interesting that it was reawakened like this though.

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #328 of 654
Here is someone talking about it in 2016 with the HE6. And in regards to Stax, this is from last year but I know for a fact people have been doing this for awhile. I don't feel like hunting down more posts but @elquixote remembers and I'm sure a few more old timers will know it too.
This isn't a new mod (no offence to FastandClean), interesting that it was reawakened like this though.

I don't think it was implied to be new, just effective. Nor do I think originality is a pertinent concern when modding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back