Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 4, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #286 of 654
Just arrived, impressions to come later
IMG_20201104_105052.jpg

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #288 of 654
Mine just arrived today. Here are some very brief impressions based on maybe 30 minutes of listening single ended out of my Liquid Platinum.

In summary, they sound pretty good for the price, but fit is terrible on my head. I have a rather small, narrow head, but need a pilot pad for the cups to not hang too low on my ears and the clamp force is rather loose as I do not get a good seal with these on my head. As far as build quality goes, they are decently built, nothing special. Feel very light on the head, really about what I expected for Hifiman. I am rather impressed with the stock cable, however. It is nice and thick, with zero stiffness or microphonics.

If I had to describe what I am hearing though, I would definitely say bass is the strong point here. Compared to the HD650, I'm hearing some good impact and much better bass extension, even with the light clamping force. Moving on to the mids, there is definitely less weight in this area for sure, and would call it rather neutral sounding, neither forward nor recessed, with good clarity. The highs definitely have some detail and some zing, but do not detect any shoutiness at all. They are well extended and definitely more presence in the treble region than the HD650. The perceived veil present with the HD650/6XX is definitely noticeable after listening to the 5XX.

Compared to the HE-500 (which I've owned but haven't heard in over a year), the magical midrange just isn't there, not as much "oomph" in the vocal region that I adored so much about the HE-500 (and HD650), just overall thinner sounding in this area. If you are after speed though, this is where the 5XX outshines the 500. The clarity and detail are an improvement for sure. I am hearing a well rounded, neutral tuning overall with a slight bass emphasis. The 5XX actually reminds me of the Sundara with better bass.

Nov 4, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #290 of 654
I've spent a couple of weeks with the HE-5XX and have just published my full thoughts over here.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.03.05 am.png

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #293 of 654
Nov 4, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #294 of 654
I've spent a couple of weeks with the HE-5XX and have just published my full thoughts over here.

Nice review! Spot on except I actually heard a bit more bass quantity on these. Definitely not a speaker-like slam that you get from the 500, but more of a tight, snappy bass like you describe. Perhaps the low end just jumped out at me and was more noticeable in relation to the more neutral, even midrange response. Plus I was comparing to my HD650 which isn't exactly known for a great low end.

And I agree, bass could have been more impactful if the seal were better. These definitely do not clamp well enough on my head and feel this is a big weakness for me. They are comfortable, just not secure.

Nov 4, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #295 of 654
Nice review! Spot on except I actually heard a bit more bass quantity on these. Definitely not a speaker-like slam that you get from the 500, but more of a tight, snappy bass like you describe. Perhaps the low end just jumped out at me and was more noticeable in relation to the more neutral, even midrange response. Plus I was comparing to my HD650 which isn't exactly known for a great low end.

And I agree, bass could have been more impactful if the seal were better. These definitely do not clamp well enough on my head and feel this is a big weakness for me. They are comfortable, just not secure.

Seems like a fair and balanced review. Writer was able to separate the 5XX from the 500 without making that the focus of the review - but got the point across, it's no 500. Seems like a 4XX killer. The world needs more good cheapish cans. I believe drawing comparisons between the 500 and 5XX was a mistake for HFM. They could have saved the name for later, used up now.

Nov 4, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #296 of 654

Much appreciated, thank you mate. They're also quite easily eq'd downstairs, they'll happily take a +/-3dB shelf below 100Hz.

Nov 5, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #297 of 654
Mine just arrived today. Here are some very brief impressions based on maybe 30 minutes of listening single ended out of my Liquid Platinum.

In summary, they sound pretty good for the price, but fit is terrible on my head. I have a rather small, narrow head, but need a pilot pad for the cups to not hang too low on my ears and the clamp force is rather loose as I do not get a good seal with these on my head. As far as build quality goes, they are decently built, nothing special. Feel very light on the head, really about what I expected for Hifiman. I am rather impressed with the stock cable, however. It is nice and thick, with zero stiffness or microphonics.

If I had to describe what I am hearing though, I would definitely say bass is the strong point here. Compared to the HD650, I'm hearing some good impact and much better bass extension, even with the light clamping force. Moving on to the mids, there is definitely less weight in this area for sure, and would call it rather neutral sounding, neither forward nor recessed, with good clarity. The highs definitely have some detail and some zing, but do not detect any shoutiness at all. They are well extended and definitely more presence in the treble region than the HD650. The perceived veil present with the HD650/6XX is definitely noticeable after listening to the 5XX.

Compared to the HE-500 (which I've owned but haven't heard in over a year), the magical midrange just isn't there, not as much "oomph" in the vocal region that I adored so much about the HE-500 (and HD650), just overall thinner sounding in this area. If you are after speed though, this is where the 5XX outshines the 500. The clarity and detail are an improvement for sure. I am hearing a well rounded, neutral tuning overall with a slight bass emphasis. The 5XX actually reminds me of the Sundara with better bass.

Hi--Thanks for the review! I was curious as to your impression of the soundstage. Many reviewers have mentioned that it has a very large, outside-your-head soundstage with a sort of semi-circular frontal presentation. Some have said vocals can also sound distant. Any comments regarding your set in this area? Thanks!

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #298 of 654
Hi--Thanks for the review! I was curious as to your impression of the soundstage. Many reviewers have mentioned that it has a very large, outside-your-head soundstage with a sort of semi-circular frontal presentation. Some have said vocals can also sound distant. Any comments regarding your set in this area? Thanks!

Sure, I realize I forgot to mention staging. I definitely agree that the staging is rather large and out of your head so to speak. This tends to add to the space, instrument separation, and overall clarity of these headphones. Unfortunately, this does contribute to the perception of a thinner, more distant vocal presentation. These definitely are not an intimate, warm headphone with euphoric vocals, but the clarity, speed, and staging is very good at this price point.

Nov 5, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #299 of 654

Users who are viewing this thread

Back