Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #256 of 654
If you look at the full testing it included pad swaps, harmonic distortion, impedance and CSDs. They're not Devas based on all the measurements. Maybe based on the same underlying driver with tweaks, but not the same headphone with a new colorway. That's the question being addressed.
Don't you mean whining and griping about the name usage? lol

HFM is a public company, and so far one is able to voice ones opinions on politicians, products, ideas. You are free to call it griping. And I am free to point out in the past 2.5 years HFM has outright lied about its products HE-5SE and HE-6SE in relation to similarity to their namesakes. For some that doesn't matter, it does to me. So does the outcome of the only real question - does the 5XX bear a strong similarity to the HE-500? New Coke vs Coke Classic.

Nov 2, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #257 of 654
I was so pissed I bought another HE-6!

(No seriously, I did)

We are more disappointed than angry, the HE500 is something that competes with LCD2 and its ilk. An LCD2 beater for $250 would sell faster than Hifiman can make them.

When Audeze does a relaunch of an old model such as the LCD2 Classic, it does it properly. It doesn't put in an El-8 in a LCD2 chassis and send it out as an LCD2 Classic.

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #258 of 654
I was so pissed I bought another HE-6!

(No seriously, I did)

We are more disappointed than angry, the HE500 is something that competes with LCD2 and its ilk. An LCD2 beater for $250 would sell faster than Hifiman can make them.

When Audeze does a relaunch of an old model such as the LCD2 Classic, it does it properly. It doesn't put in an El-8 in a LCD2 chassis and send it out as an LCD2 Classic.

Well, a used HE-500 for $400 kicks the LCD-2 to the curb, and it always has. Now lets the hear the 5XX.

So true.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #260 of 654
I think it is a private company, mate.

That's right, but they sell in a Democratic country (a number in fact) that opens them to comment.

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #261 of 654
That's right, but they sell in a Democratic country (a number in fact) that opens them to comment.

True. But at a certain point, it moves beyond simply expressing an opinion to griping and inflicting one's unhappiness on others. At least ten pages ago in this thread.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #262 of 654
True. But at a certain point, it moves beyond simply expressing an opinion to griping and inflicting one's unhappiness on others. At least ten pages ago in this thread.

You want this to stop? Well you're doing your part to keep it going.

Unhappiness for me is mostly rooted in being lied to, I don't like it. I don't respect people who minimize/defend it. If I had as much respect for the best products of HFM as for BOSE, I wouldn't care, but HFM is capable of greatness, which is why their misleading marketing is so bloody obvious.

Put me on ignore, but do please stop bleating.

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #263 of 654

Suspend reading for a few weeks, eventually the reviews on the 5XX will take over.

Or perhaps you feel you need to defend the "innocent", I feel the same.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #264 of 654
Suspend reading for a few weeks, eventually the reviews on the 5XX will take over.

Practice some self-restraint. Just like there was no need to reply to me twice to express your displeasure with what I said.

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #265 of 654
Practice some self-restraint. Just like there was no need to reply to me twice to express your displeasure with what I said.

Ha Ha. Pot, kettle, black.... Next time try providing something of use. Everyone here can take care of themselves without your help.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #266 of 654
I repeat my suggestion I made a couple of days ago
I agree with both sides. Yes, you should have the freedom to post criticism directed at Hifiman. But at the same time I understand the annoyance it creates for those who just want to read and write about sound impressions.
Maybe this thread needs to be split up in two threads: "Drop Hifiman HE-5XX sound impressions only" and "Headphones marketing, the Do's and Don'ts".

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #268 of 654
User reviews involve expectations based on company claims though.
So far I have read only one user review in this thread....

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #269 of 654
HFM is a public company, and so far one is able to voice ones opinions on politicians, products, ideas. You are free to call it griping. And I am free to point out in the past 2.5 years HFM has outright lied about its products HE-5SE and HE-6SE in relation to similarity to their namesakes. For some that doesn't matter, it does to me. So does the outcome of the only real question - does the 5XX bear a strong similarity to the HE-500? New Coke vs Coke Classic.
Isn't Hifiman a private company? It went public? foreal? what's the ticker?

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #270 of 654
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but are the pads on the HE-5XX the same size as the Sundaras? The cup do seem to be larger after all.

I ask because I find the Sundara's pads uncomfortable, too small for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back