Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Nov 22, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #376 of 390
Man, I am really really sorry to hear about this. That totally sucks for sure. There is no question that these are the cheapest, poorest, saddest build quality that I have ever seen on any pair of headphones, never mind ones costing $200-300. Although I will say the SZ2000 are a close second. The Sig Xs are my favorite sounding headphones ever and I can't imagine losing them. Because of this, I purchased a second pair from a fellow Head-fier that now sits in its box in my basement just waiting for the day that I will need them. For anyone who reads this thread, do yourself a favor and DON'T purchase these. If you don't know what they sound like, you won't be missing anything. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. Shame on Drop and Ultrasone for putting such shabby headphones out there at that price.

Thank you @squeakez I appreciate having an understanding soul in all this. Its bad enough my 200+ dollar pair of cans have cracks in the hinge in only 5-months of extended normal usage. Its worse that Drop doesn't stand by the products that they sell. I literally was a first time customer on Drop this year, but because of their shoddy policies, they have lost me as a customer, as quickly as I became one, their loss!

After leaving a negative review on Drop for these can's, I decided to read a few of the reviews myself, and I came across something interesting. Another customer had their hinge completely go, but it was in the ball socket hinge area, not the flat headband adjustment area like mine. Instead of throwing his can's into the landfill, he came up with quite an interesting approach to saving his can's!

He apparently switched out the headband, to an ATH M50X headband, or whatever those headphones are called. Unfortunately, the process of doing this, also required soldering work, I assume for running the wiring through the new headband, and having to re-solder the wiring to the circuit boards. ( Headband super thin wiring, soldering work, YIKES! 😲 ) But since the headband wasn't designed for these can's specifically, he had to create his own bushings, to put between the headband and cups connection, so that the fit would be tight and not sloppy.

While I am a mechanic by trade, we don't typically do refined work like this in the space. From what I understand, when doing headphone soldering work, it requires a steady surgeon like handywork, and its going to be tricky, cause your working with what is it 28 gauge super thin wiring? It seems a bit much for me to do, but still, very interesting approach to saving ones headphones from the landfill, I give them massive props!

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #377 of 390
Thank you @squeakez I appreciate having an understanding soul in all this. Its bad enough my 200+ dollar pair of cans have cracks in the hinge in only 5-months of extended normal usage. Its worse that Drop doesn't stand by the products that they sell. I literally was a first time customer on Drop this year, but because of their shoddy policies, they have lost me as a customer, as quickly as I became one, their loss!

After leaving a negative review on Drop for these can's, I decided to read a few of the reviews myself, and I came across something interesting. Another customer had their hinge completely go, but it was in the ball socket hinge area, not the flat headband adjustment area like mine. Instead of throwing his can's into the landfill, he came up with quite an interesting approach to saving his can's!

He apparently switched out the headband, to an ATH M50X headband, or whatever those headphones are called. Unfortunately, the process of doing this, also required soldering work, I assume for running the wiring through the new headband, and having to re-solder the wiring to the circuit boards. ( Headband super thin wiring, soldering work, YIKES! 😲 ) But since the headband wasn't designed for these can's specifically, he had to create his own bushings, to put between the headband and cups connection, so that the fit would be tight and not sloppy.

While I am a mechanic by trade, we don't typically do refined work like this in the space. From what I understand, when doing headphone soldering work, it requires a steady surgeon like handywork, and its going to be tricky, cause your working with what is it 28 gauge super thin wiring? It seems a bit much for me to do, but still, very interesting approach to saving ones headphones from the landfill, I give them massive props!
Yeah - if I had the skills to change out the headband, I would do it in a heartbeat. I think there was someone earlier in this thread that put a different headband on these also. I do treat these like "The Precious" and am glad that I have a small, narrow head. I guess there is always duct tape :dt880smile:.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #378 of 390
Quick update!

After writing my review on Drop, and sharing the pictures including email screenshot, somebody else from the customer service department, a manager specifically, took notice. And there is nothing like lighting the metaphorical fire under someone's arse, to get them to take action I suppose. Well, that customer service manager, took another look at the case, and they decided that I am actually in the right afterall. They included a pre-paid return shipping label, as well as RMA sheet in email, so all I got to do is print those out.

Were too close to the holiday's at this point, Thanksgiving is tomorrow, so closest I will be able to send my Ultrasone's out for return shipping is Friday. They said they would issue my full refund, once I return them. I decided that I am through playing headphone roulette with cheaper can's. I decided that I am going to do it right this time. Click on the link to see my new thread, to see the can's I just ordered to replace these.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/i-j...please-post-your-own-experiences-here.970651/

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #380 of 390
Quick update!

After writing my review on Drop, and sharing the pictures including email screenshot, somebody else from the customer service department, a manager specifically, took notice. And there is nothing like lighting the metaphorical fire under someone's arse, to get them to take action I suppose. Well, that customer service manager, took another look at the case, and they decided that I am actually in the right afterall. They included a pre-paid return shipping label, as well as RMA sheet in email, so all I got to do is print those out.

Were too close to the holiday's at this point, Thanksgiving is tomorrow, so closest I will be able to send my Ultrasone's out for return shipping is Friday. They said they would issue my full refund, once I return them. I decided that I am through playing headphone roulette with cheaper can's. I decided that I am going to do it right this time. Click on the link to see my new thread, to see the can's I just ordered to replace these.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/i-j...please-post-your-own-experiences-here.970651/
Best of luck! I hope you are thrilled with the D9200. I’ve thought about them before but not really willing to spend that much for a headphone. Having said that, I do look forward to reading about your journey.

P.S. I’ve not had any issues with my Sig X, but I’ve got a bunch of headphones and IEMs, and rotating around means most things are only lightly used, so that may explain my good fortune.

Nov 23, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #382 of 390
Best of luck! I hope you are thrilled with the D9200. I’ve thought about them before but not really willing to spend that much for a headphone. Having said that, I do look forward to reading about your journey.

P.S. I’ve not had any issues with my Sig X, but I’ve got a bunch of headphones and IEMs, and rotating around means most things are only lightly used, so that may explain my good fortune.

Its interesting that you mentioned that, I too have never been interested in spending this much on a headphone, and the financial is most certainly a struggle now. But the thing is, I am tired of buying headphones that I thought were good, ended up being crap, and only get burned in the end, when they break. Life has always been a struggle for me, and I am struggling with things as we speak. Having said that, I am at a point in my life, where I would like to have some creature comforts. And since I converted over from being a speaker user, to a permanent headphone user, I don't think its a lot to ask, to have quality sound, in excellent build quality.

But what I had to learn the hard way, is I can't get that, unless I spend a lot of money. But I believe in spending money wisely however, I am not jumping on the Beats train, Bose train, Bang Olufson train, or Harmon Kardon train. Those brands tend to pray on the non-informed. This is why its good to spend time on Head-Fi, it might not be so great for your wallet, but there is such a wealth of information here, that one can be able to make an informed decision. I am also slowly leaving my basshead phase, and becoming more mature with my age, where I am starting to seek higher quality sound, not cheap bass, that has nothing else.

Plus don't forget, I have an EQ box, I can always add more bass to a pair of cans, and I know I will anyways, cause thats just how I role lol. But its going to be great to have a pair of cans, that offer superb details in the sound. All the reviews mention this, which is just something you don't get in a cheap pair of can's. Also to your last statement, I am not like the most of you all, I don't own a bunch of audiophile grade headphones, most of what I have are cheap utility pairs, or wireless pairs. So when my Sig X's broke, now its pulling on my right ear lobe a bit, and losing sound isolation, as I can hear me type on this keyboard right now, so life sucks, until my new pair come in.

Also, I am pretty sure the battery on my Cowin E7 Pro's are shot, it doesn't seem to want to hold a charge for long. So I would have to hook them up by wire to use them for an extended period. And let me tell you what, those E7 Pro's, are mid-range centric can's, they emphasize mid-base and are very boomy, and they drop off the sub-base range around 50-hertz. I could adjust them a bit with EQ when wired, but there is only so much you can do, with an ill tuned warm boomy 40mm pair of can's. This is the reason why I paid for overnight shipping, which was easy to do since I got a 50 dollar new member discount at Denon website. It will be tricky with the Thanksgiving holiday, they probably won't ship them out till Friday, but hopefully they will get here by Saturday.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #383 of 390
Quick update:

I was just putting my headphones on right now, to watch a video of a guy playing Dead Space. (Classic quality horror game) And the right side cup, snapped completely off this time, and is now just held my the cable.

I don't feel like putting on my garbage headphones, so I am now using my speaker for right now.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #384 of 390
From this month of December this model is also available through Thomann.de.. It's visible on their website and if I am not wrong those are exactly the same Sig X model from Drop.. or am I wrong? Price is 198 €.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #385 of 390
From this month of December this model is also available through Thomann.de.. It's visible on their website and if I am not wrong those are exactly the same Sig X model from Drop.. or am I wrong? Price is 198 €.
According to the product images it seems to be the pre revised version which has thinner earpads.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #386 of 390
I've been using the Signature X for a week and I am very impressed by the bass. I'm pretty happy with my EQ settings but I'm still playing around with the values.

Current EQ:
32 hz = +4.5 dB
64 hz = +1.5 dB
125 hz= 0 dB
250 hz = -9 dB
500 hz = -11 dB
1000 hz = -13 dB
2000 hz = -12 dB
4000 hz = -11 dB
8000 hz = -7.5 dB
16000 hz = +2 dB

This EQ gives me a good amount of rumble but I feel like I could improve it. I'm curious how you guys tuned your units. Feel free to share your own EQ settings. I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #387 of 390
Started in 2012 with the ultrasone pro 900s, did try many headphones after that, coming back to the root, just bought the signature X, it just dropped from 300 to 250 on drop. i Cant wait to see what ultrasone did with that one, looks like they choose a similar sound signature i learned to love in the 900s. Will update on it after a couple days of listening.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #389 of 390
Started in 2012 with the ultrasone pro 900s, did try many headphones after that, coming back to the root, just bought the signature X, it just dropped from 300 to 250 on drop. i Cant wait to see what ultrasone did with that one, looks like they choose a similar sound signature i learned to love in the 900s. Will update on it after a couple days of listening.

It was $199 back in November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back