Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Nov 22, 2022 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 390

HoffmanMyster

Sponsor: DROP
I'd like to introduce our latest collab, the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X. This is our first collab with the German brand Ultrasone, who've been around for quite some time. They are known mainly in Europe for their professional DJ headphones and some uber high-end models like the Edition 10.

After listening to several models within their Signature Series line-up we decided to try and make our own tuning that used the Harman curve as a reference point. The goal was not to get as close as possible, but rather use it as a template. The engineers at Ultrasone went through several iterations before we landed on the tuning for the Signature X. The result is a slightly dark but wonderfully punchy sounding headphone that still has some shimmer to the highs. The Signature X is well suited to many modern recordings and bass-heavy genres, but we also found them to be great with live recordings where the high energy and room acoustics shine. We think it’s time to give Ultrasone another shot. Let us know what you think.

Additional info:
  • You can check out Zeos’ early review here:
  • Measurements - coming soon!

RYkJydw2Snmzh9qyBs3u_0547-copy.jpg

opoG9bXJSPCosSF8wMFh_CB9A9514-copy.jpg

saDTiYHkQAjUPzEv94Hb_0431-copy.jpg

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 22, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 390
Collab will probably sell 3 units total.

No hate against Ultrasone from me, I like their sound signature. Just no else seems to.

Love the look of these, too - they look great. I really like Ultrasone for closed backs.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 390
I feel like Ultrasone is outclassed by a lot of its competitors. Having said that, I sti love my HFI-780s. They are my gaming headphones (along with the Denon D2000 once I repair them) and I do enjoy them if I listen to metal.

I'd check these out potentially down the road.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 390
I feel like Ultrasone is outclassed by a lot of its competitors. Having said that, I sti love my HFI-780s. They are my gaming headphones (along with the Denon D2000 once I repair them) and I do enjoy them if I listen to metal.

I'd check these out potentially down the road.
The 780 is a very fun one. A lot of energy on that headphone and I think it highlights the exciting sound signature of the brand. Fun punchy bass with treble sparkle.

I get less interested here when I see that in Zeos review, the baffle on this new headphone looks IDENTICAL to that old line minus that little weird triangle thing they added. It makes you wonder if this is just basically recycled model to help push new sales. A fresh design, some advertising and new coat of paint? Perhaps they had too many of those old parts lying around that were not moving sales?

Look at the Zeos review at exactly 8 minutes in. It is the freaking exact same baffle on his 580. And the newer 580 includes the velour pads which I think are more comfortable. The 580 and 780 are VERY old headphones which have been out forever.

You could pick up a used 780 for under $100 bucks now (I've seen these go before for like $50 since no one seems to care for them), so yeah I'm just not sure when I see things like that. Is this just a re-purposed HFI series headphone that is now close to $300?

I noticed a similar thing with my Ultrasone Performance 860. The baffle was just like the Edition 8 baffle. The Edition 8 sounded better overall with more detail but the 860 was very enjoyable (at a much lower cost) and I just kept it instead. Still really enjoy the 860 a lot. The house sound / tuning carries through most of the models.

Ultrasone signature is great for gaming too, especially if needing closed back. The S-logic gives great imaging and the dynamic tuning with the enhanced bass is fun.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 390
Additional comment and then I'll shut up. I think for closed, Ultrasone is really great. Once you open (pun intended) the category up to include open headphones, open headphones just have a massive inherent advantage across the board that makes it hard for a cupped/closed design to compete against.

That's the conclusion I had come to over time - I really like Ultrasone for CLOSED (easy to drive) - fun sounding headphones. That is most of their models anyways so I think when talking about the SQ it is only right to compare them against other closed backs which will have similar limitations due to that design.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 390
The original Signature Pro were one of my favourite headphones, even edging out the Edition series. Ordered this Drop version for old times' sake. Shall see how it holds up now that I've progressed further into the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 390
I think for closed, Ultrasone is really great. Once you open (pun intended) the category up to include open headphones, open headphones just have a massive inherent advantage across the board that makes it hard for a cupped/closed design to compete against.
Oh, no doubt. Open is almost always going to sound better. For those working in an office / shared space, or wanting to block out environmental noise though, closed back can bring its own share of benefits. I view these and other premium closed backs as filling that niche and need.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 23, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 390
Oh, no doubt. Open is almost always going to sound better. For those working in an office / shared space, or wanting to block out environmental noise though, closed back can bring its own share of benefits. I view these and other premium closed backs as filling that niche and need.
Absolutely! Closed backs are an important category as you get isolation which is often needed and sound doesn't leak out in a massive way. You can only use open headphones in certain select environments (at home, quiet) where closed give much more versatility in their use.

Plus, these look lovely in their design with that sparkly silver name plate. I love the design you guys did - these look great.

Some closed backs can really kick ass in the bass/low end because of the complete seal, which sounds like that's the case with these.

I have always had a thing for Ultrasone bass! It is a ton of fun.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 390
Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 2.56.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 2.57.01 PM.png

I mean, here is a picture of the original "HFI" 580 which was around in like 2010 and the new "signature" X model, released now in 2022, over 12 years later.

580 was marketed also as a Bassy DJ style headphone. It just looks exactly the same down to the same ear pads and the specs like 50 MM mylar drivers.

The only difference visible here is the tiny triangles added to the baffle. But why is it a signature branded headphone when it has the same baffle as the old hfi?

It just is surprising to me that these are headphones released almost a decade apart and they look entirely the same.

It again feels like Ultrasone had more spare old parts to go around so they went with this idea and a price hike with a fresh coat of paint.

Maybe this shouldn't be surprising to me... Beyerdynamic released updated newer versions of their DT 770 and 990.

Sennheiser released the 660S model recently which looks exactly like the old 650 and 600 also. Seems to happen across the board.

And actually now that I think about this - Ultrasone released "i" versions of all of the old headphones, like 580i, 780i, 900i, 750i etc which basically was a headband update.

So really I shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 390
I'm slightly interested in these checking out Zeos' video, seems like for an Ultrasone it's a decent tuning, as in no shrill highs that has been an issue for me with most of the Ultrasone offerings. In fact I'm still in the process of trying to find a replacement for my M-Audio Q40 that has a bassforward sound but with otherwise balanced mids and highs tuning with no obvious peaky treble, it just sounds natural to me. I did also pick up the Signature DJ but they were slightly too V-shaped for my liking, the bass was of pretty similar quantity on both but the M-Audio Q40 just sounds much tighter and punchier and the DJ's were boomier. I want some tight punchy impactful bass that I can feel, not so much the boomy audible bass distortion, I'm after that "standing next to a drumkit"-feel when the EDM kickdrum hits it should give a sense of impact in the way the drumstick hits the drum but on the ears. This is what Q40 does particularly well, provide a distinct almost tactile bass that you can feel but without so much audible quantity.

Maybe these Ultrasones would be worth a shot, at least these new gen Ultrasones seems to have a very noticeable amount more lower-midrange than Signature DJ generation, even the "Pulse" one which this Signature X drop collab seems to be based on has quite forward lower-midrange in particular, wonder if it's overly "thick" in the character even?
Here's a comparison of Signature DJ and the DXP version for example where you can tell which my ears agreed on the midrange takes quite a backseat on the Signature DJ:

10194965.jpeg

Here's the Ultrasone "Pulse" response (which appearently the Drop Signature X is based on), pretty similar to the DXP:
nedladdning (1).png

The measurements alone makes me interested as the frequency response balance seems to have been fixed for my tastes compared to Signature DJ, wonder if the bass is also any tighter, it was pretty punchy to my memory but lacked slightly detail and tightness.

Attachments

• nedladdning.png
    nedladdning.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 390
I'd like to introduce our latest collab, the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X. This is our first collab with the German brand Ultrasone, who've been around for quite some time. They are known mainly in Europe for their professional DJ headphones and some uber high-end models like the Edition 10.

After listening to several models within their Signature Series line-up we decided to try and make our own tuning that used the Harman curve as a reference point. The goal was not to get as close as possible, but rather use it as a template. The engineers at Ultrasone went through several iterations before we landed on the tuning for the Signature X. The result is a slightly dark but wonderfully punchy sounding headphone that still has some shimmer to the highs. The Signature X is well suited to many modern recordings and bass-heavy genres, but we also found them to be great with live recordings where the high energy and room acoustics shine. We think it’s time to give Ultrasone another shot. Let us know what you think.

Additional info:
  • You can check out Zeos’ early review here:
  • Measurements - coming soon!

RYkJydw2Snmzh9qyBs3u_0547-copy.jpg
opoG9bXJSPCosSF8wMFh_CB9A9514-copy.jpg
saDTiYHkQAjUPzEv94Hb_0431-copy.jpg

can't help but notice the DDF thingy (the black fin that helps create S-Logic 3 soundstage) in Z reviews unit has been placed in a wrong direction?
looks different from the marketing shots.
hope this gets fix in the mas prodoction units.

1669358095069.png

1669358247130.png

Nov 25, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 390
and if you watch till 8:52, you'll notice that they might've installed the wrong plate on the right cup
(the cut off portion's of the plate should be symmetrical on both sides, so that the sound enters the port angled slightly in front of either ears)
they accidentally used the same plate for left and right on the unit in the video.

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 390
I'm more woried about the bump at 3.5kHz personally as at least with all IEMs I've tried my ears seems to give some boost in that region and have to EQ it down for it to sound natural, otherwise looks decent for my preferences, it appears it has a bit of a bass boost versus Pulse headphones. But yea ~8.3kHz spike is a bit in the lower region, typically you see the spikes in the 9-10kHz region.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 390
Am I the only person that thinks the Signature X looks like hot garbage? Look at that huge spike at 8 kHz. That's so close to 7 kHz (sibilance).

1669789069951.png
They've always looked strange but sounded fine. Trust ears not eyes! Too bad I'll be overseas by the time they ship. Won't get to listen till the new year~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back