Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Dec 12, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #31 of 390
@Beagle Slightly dark is indeed how I perceive it, but not so dark that it seems murky.

@RPGWiZaRD Yes, I did specifically think of those headphones, and the Ultrasone is much more on the tight bass side of it, it’s strong but not wet and loose.

I generally found the Signature X treble to be polite but present: the hot harmonica mics on Cowboy Junkies’ “Trinity Sessions” are no problem on “Walking after Midnight” and bearable on “Postcard Blues.” That harmonica on “Postcard Blues” is an extreme example, haha. Some recordings just contain their own sibilance… I noticed that the Kakegura theme song (https://songwhip.com/tia/deal-with-the-devil) just drags out the “esses” in the tracks vocals due to all the processing in how that track is produced, but I’m still able to enjoy that energetic jazzy track. With all the effects in that song, the producer should have just used some stronger de-essing filter, lol! Even with a song with sibilance in the recording, the Signature X is more polite than a “reference” tuned headphone, but to go further and dull that specific frequency range in that one song would have required other songs and instruments to feel too noticeably dulled in that range, and lose the sensation of dark but clear that this headphone is managing now. Typically I feel like I can just rock out, most tracks sound great!

Here’s a playlist of some songs I’ve come across so far that sound great with the Ultrasone X… it will change over time, but I’m trying to keep it to just a few tracks (10-12) that really stand out:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #33 of 390
I mean I'm still interested in these and how they compare with the HFI-780s

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #34 of 390
I mean I'm still interested in these and how they compare with the HFI-780s

While I can't say for certain just yet, I'm quite confident the Sig X's will be one or two levels better than the 780's. I spent most of yesterday comparing the Sig DXP to the Sig Pulse, the Pulse being the model that the Sig X is based on. After several hours of back and forth I switched to the 780's and the change was a bit jarring. Compared to the Signatures the 780's were canny, muffled, had a compressed sound stage, and lacked detail. The overall sound signature was similar, just hidden behind layers of different issues. So I can conclusively say the Sig Pulse's are technically better than the 780's, but the question still remains as to how the Pulses will compare to the Sig X. We'll see in a few weeks.

As for the Sig Pulse's, I won't get into their sound signature yet as it will take time to get used to them. All I will say is that they are good, really good. I look forward to hearing how they have been retuned into the X's. The Pulses don't need their tuning to be changed, but a different flavor of the same quality will be awesome.

Side note, it always amazes me how our hearing can adjust to different sound signatures. When I listen to the 780's they sound great. Not perfect of course, but they are quite enjoyable. When you listen to a headphone with better abilities those headphones sound great too. It's not until you switch back to the 780's that you hear all sorts of issues that you were oblivious to before. Just interesting how that works. It speaks volumes as to how if you can find a sound signature you like you can probably just stop there. There's only need to get something better if you aren't satisfied with what you've already got.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #35 of 390
It also depends on what you are looking for - technical refinement etc.... like the 780 is very FUN sounding for EDM, pop etc.

It has a V shape with a thin midrange and it is quite colored. I love them for electronic music which I frequently listen. The bass character seems to be emphasized for fun too. Imaging is interesting and there is a lot of energy. Sometimes you don't want the headphone to be too refined/technical etc when you are looking for this kind of sound.

I think that is something to keep in mind. People generally assume more technical, etc automatically is better (and it generally is), but if what you you want a fun sound, you don't always need it overly refined and I think the 780 is a good example of this.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #36 of 390
It also depends on what you are looking for - technical refinement etc.... like the 780 is REALLY FUN sounding for EDM, pop etc.

I need more time with the Pulse's, but I'd take them any day over the 780's both from a fun and a technical standpoint. For me the Pulse is a straight upgrade over the 780, but we all hear differently so I wouldn't put too much stock into that opinion. That said, I need more time with them as I've only spent about 8 hours with them. I'm sure my opinion of them will be refined over time.

What's interesting to me is that the DXP's are thicker and warmer than the Pulses. If the Pulse has a clear tuning, I wonder how the Sig X's will be since it's been said that they are "darker"? Perhaps they will be essentially a DXP with a larger sound stage...? I'm looking forward to trying them in the coming weeks.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #38 of 390
I use my 780s for gaming only. If I don't compare them to my other headphones, they sound pretty good although to me they sound unnatural. Once I compare them to my other headphones, it gets worse for the 780s. But I still do enjoy them for gaming. The bass impact is fun. They almost remind me of being in a movie theatre with their presentation

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #39 of 390
Side note, it always amazes me how our hearing can adjust to different sound signatures.
While a measurement rig may be objective (though still subject to technique and fixture variation), we listen with our brains which are very subjective... the best DSPs on the planet! Brain burn-in is very real :D

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #40 of 390
I need more time with the Pulse's, but I'd take them any day over the 780's both from a fun and a technical standpoint. For me the Pulse is a straight upgrade over the 780, but we all hear differently so I wouldn't put too much stock into that opinion. That said, I need more time with them as I've only spent about 8 hours with them. I'm sure my opinion of them will be refined over time.

What's interesting to me is that the DXP's are thicker and warmer than the Pulses. If the Pulse has a clear tuning, I wonder how the Sig X's will be since it's been said that they are "darker"? Perhaps they will be essentially a DXP with a larger sound stage...? I'm looking forward to trying them in the coming weeks.
The Sig X's are "darker" than a studio reference tuning (like... an HD 600 or DT 150), but the product story mentions that it was tuned just a bit brighter than the Pulse:
"the Signature X keeps its predecessors bass-centric identity, with a new tuning that adds energy to other key areas of the frequency spectrum. Built around an ultra-punchy low-end, the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X gets a few more swings in with sparkling highs and clearly defined mids."
I haven't heard the Pulse myself (unless you count the Koss KSC75 Pulse, lol!), but the Signature X sounds clear despite being darker than average. Good attack transients for a closed headphone, too, which helps with the sense of separation and clarity.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #41 of 390
I use my 780s for gaming only. If I don't compare them to my other headphones, they sound pretty good although to me they sound unnatural. Once I compare them to my other headphones, it gets worse for the 780s. But I still do enjoy them for gaming. The bass impact is fun. They almost remind me of being in a movie theatre with their presentation

I agree, the 780 can sound unnatural. It is very scooped out in the midrange body. So you get tight and punchy bass and a sparkly top end. But the bass is very reverberant. It is bouncy and punchy and wubby. I like the bass on the 780, it is nearly perfect to me in amount and emphasis. I'll stop gushing on them but seriously for $100 bucks these are quite good for my taste.

I would easily recommend this one as a genre-specific headphone - EDM. If you like EDM genres, trance, electro house, dubstep etc, they are enjoyable. A lot of pop music sounds quite good too.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #42 of 390
@Evshrug Thanks for the input. I think I might give these a try, at $250 it's probably worth it. I'm personally a favor for that more tight punchy bass, the quantity looks quite suitable too from the response measurement, the Q40 measures around 7dB or so boost over the midrange and this one looks to be about 6dB or so (which is roughly Harman target territory so it's not like it should be a one trick pony or so). The most critical response frequency variations I can balance out with RME ADI-2 DAC FS that has built-in parametric EQ but it's more important the headphone is free from excess bass reverberations or reverberations in the treble etc which EQ cannot fully fix. I think a drier sound is probably among the more important aspects for me that affects a lot the punchiness in particular (more dry response usually benefits punchiness and more wet/reverby sound contributes to more boomy sound again that I felt the Cascades were for example).

I had bought Ultrasone Signature DJ myself quite a long time ago that were well recieved also in these forums but felt that headphone was slightly too laid-back in the midrange and slightly too bright and the bass response was pretty okay but I felt it was still boomier than the Q40's bass response so in the end I returned those.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #43 of 390
Something I'm listening to right now... this album is kind of like the bands "Yes" with a touch of "My Chemical Romance"
link to view on different music services: https://songwhip.com/gazpacho/ive-been-walking-pt-1b
It's the kind of track that I play louder to have the mids where I want them, but I am impressed with the sense of stage and size. Trying them out with TH-900 pads because they were in reach... honestly, those pads are too big haha, T50RP pads probably fit better, but the headband clamp keeps the big pads on and it sounds pretty good.

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #45 of 390
HEAVILY considering these. I haven't heard the Pulse, but to hear the Drop joints a touch brighter than the Pulse (and I'm guessing the old Signature DJ, as well), I'm super interested. That said, I'd need to order a pair of the leather Signature pads, too.

I replaced the old sheepskin pads on my Signature DJ with the extra pleather ones included with the Master and it sounds like they changed the sound of the DJs. Not to mention, the leather of the Master's pad feels a whole lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back