Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #361 of 390
Omg. Have you actually heard HE-6??? I mean seriously, I'm done with this discussion.
Have u tried t
I dont know what slam you hear on TH900. I've owned it multiple times. Yes, it has bass that extends down well. Yes, it has nicely detailed bass. However, the peaky treble limits volume a great deal and bass was never slamming for me on that headphone like I'd expected from statements like above.

Maybe you do EQ or something, but I've found multiple headphones that punch better than a TH900 IMO and they don't have that very sharp treble tagging along for the ride.
Me and you has to try the 1266 headphones

Oct 26, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #365 of 390
How does this compare with HFI-780, if anyone has both?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #367 of 390
Thanks very much for the insightful response, TWerk. It is really interesting that I bought my 780s on eBay used for 45+(15 shipping)... and through the LG V10 Spotify, metal/electronic music with a bit of Eq is just WOOOW! (I got an LG V60, a quad DAC, but there is no way I can use it with this setup. Too much high-frequency sound... I do not know what is wrong with me). Anyway, I was planning to upgrade to the X but I just don't know what to do now after your praising comment for the 780s, especially mids being clearer.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #368 of 390
That is a steal for the 780, which I really enjoy, despite owning way more expensive headphones. I think it is one of the very best budget cans at $50, I love them.

I personally almost always use them for gaming, the V shape scoop is perfect for that and it allows be to play competitive COD really well.

Their highs do not bother me, I find them energetic and alive, but yeah like any headphone, the chain plays a role and chain in front can be a make it or break it.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #369 of 390
I keep wondering why this thread has been so dead. I was so glad to see your take on these since I agree 100%. I purchased these 3 months ago and haven't touched any of my other headphones since. As far as I'm concerned, these are perfection for me. Please feel free to look at my profile to see all the headphones I have owned for the last 12 years. Over 125. Within the past year or so I have owned 2 $3000 headphones - ZMF VC and Focal Stellia. Those 2 headphones couldn't hold a candle to these. I know that sounds crazy, right??? But it's true for my ears.

I agree about the thick pads being the best. I have tried the thinner stock pads, which weren't that bad really. I also ordered some other pads recommended earlier in this thread that I ended up throwing in the trash. I also had ordered a Hart Audio cable for these that wasn't anywhere near as good as the stock coiled cable sounds. That's a rare experience for me. Almost every after market cable has sounded better to me than stock.

I have to add that I am running these headphones through a $6000 system - iFi Pro iCan Signature/iDSD/Lokius. Most people who have an expensive system don't run cheap headphones. This is one of the reasons I haven't posted about my experience. What good is listening to some guy who says these are great but is using an expensive system to drive them? I get it. When I started in this hobby 12 years ago, I couldn't afford much and $220 headphones seemed pricey to me. But one thing I have learned in the 2 years I have had this iFi set up, is that you don't have to spend big bucks on headphones for the sound to be amazing. These Sig X have amazing subbass, midbass, beautiful mids, lots of detail and clarity and the best imaging I have ever heard. Please keep in mind that I only listen to EDM so YMMV.

One thing that I find interesting is that there hasn't been one pair of these on the For Sale forum. I realize that there probably isn't a ton of people purchasing these, but there are obviously some or this thread wouldn't exist. I keep looking because I would like to buy a back-up pair since the build quality is pretty bad. I will probably just end up buying a spare pair from Drop. If you are on the fence, I would take the plunge. If you don't like them then I will buy them from you.
In what way did the Hart Audio cable sound worse than stock?

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #370 of 390
In what way did the Hart Audio cable sound worse than stock?
There was a flatness to the sound - a loss of tonality and fullness. It's hard to describe but it led to a loss of engagement. Believe me, I am a Hart Audio fanboy - I have their cables on both my Denon and Sundara and they make a noticeable difference to me. As soon as I went back to the stock coiled cable, the music came back to life. I've had these headphones now for 4 months and they are still perfect to me. Even though the build quality sucks, it's the best $200 audio dollars I've ever spent. I just purchased a back up pair in case anything happens to them. That's a first for me.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #371 of 390
Now it is back on 300 dollars and I ordered a second hand pro 750 on eBay for 80 dollars shipped. I do not know what I am going to miss.

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #373 of 390
Well, this didn't take long. I ordered these in June of 2023. I've listened to them extensively for several months. While putting them on today, the plastic hinge on the right side cracked. So this confirms that the durability is crap, and not up to par, for a 200+ dollar pair of cans.

IMG_20231121_113731303.jpg

IMG_20231121_113906439.jpg

I used Drops customer support for the first time. I told them what happened, and sent them these same pictures. I'm asking them for a full refund. I paid good money for these, I don't appreciate getting screwed in less then a year on them.

I gotta say, I have a lot of bad luck with cans. The hinge snapped on my JVC cans, the AUX port failed on my Vmoda cans, and now I'm back to another hinge problem with a still new pair of Ultrasone cans.

Bad enough my house is breaking apart, but I can't even have creature comforts for longer then 5-months. And since these are still my only working audiophile cans, I'm up Schitts creek right now. Sucks to be me.

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #374 of 390
Here is the response from Drop...

Screenshot from 2023-11-21 13-25-03.png

Yep, I'm up schitts creek right now for sure. How could this not be considered a defect? Is Drop trying to say that its normal that a pair of headphones, only last 5-months until the plastic hinge cracks? What a crock of BS! And how could putting the headphones on be considered accidental damage or misuse either? See, this is all well and fine with Joseph, because it didn't happen to him, I see how it is. Now I know what kind of company Drop is now as well.

And I tell you something else. If Drop doesn't want to help me, then Ultrasone certainly won't. The only positive thing from all this, is that the headphones are still usable, for now. But there is no telling when that cracks spreads, and then the hinge is completely gone for good. I really thought spending 200+ dollars, would provide me better quality then a 50-dollar can. But I see now, that I was sadly mistaken.

Too much garbage made now days.

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #375 of 390
Here is the response from Drop...

Screenshot from 2023-11-21 13-25-03.png

Yep, I'm up schitts creek right now for sure. How could this not be considered a defect? Is Drop trying to say that its normal that a pair of headphones, only last 5-months until the plastic hinge cracks? What a crock of BS! And how could putting the headphones on be considered accidental damage or misuse either? See, this is all well and fine with Joseph, because it didn't happen to him, I see how it is. Now I know what kind of company Drop is now as well.

And I tell you something else. If Drop doesn't want to help me, then Ultrasone certainly won't. The only positive thing from all this, is that the headphones are still usable, for now. But there is no telling when that cracks spreads, and then the hinge is completely gone for good. I really thought spending 200+ dollars, would provide me better quality then a 50-dollar can. But I see now, that I was sadly mistaken.

Too much garbage made now days.
Man, I am really really sorry to hear about this. That totally sucks for sure. There is no question that these are the cheapest, poorest, saddest build quality that I have ever seen on any pair of headphones, never mind ones costing $200-300. Although I will say the SZ2000 are a close second. The Sig Xs are my favorite sounding headphones ever and I can't imagine losing them. Because of this, I purchased a second pair from a fellow Head-fier that now sits in its box in my basement just waiting for the day that I will need them. For anyone who reads this thread, do yourself a favor and DON'T purchase these. If you don't know what they sound like, you won't be missing anything. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. Shame on Drop and Ultrasone for putting such shabby headphones out there at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back