Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #331 of 390
Have you heard something like an HE6SE or HE-500? The speed of those planar drivers is just something I think you need to hear to understand. I think planar in general can have an advantage with that sense of speed. The drivers just sound very FAST in their attack and decay.

Dynamics can too - something like the Focal Elex to me sounded really fast - but I just find it very apparent in planars like I mentioned.
I tried planars like lcd4 and mrspeakers, I didn't like the punch.

I think dynamic is worth it more

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #332 of 390
I keep wondering why this thread has been so dead. I was so glad to see your take on these since I agree 100%. I purchased these 3 months ago and haven't touched any of my other headphones since. As far as I'm concerned, these are perfection for me. Please feel free to look at my profile to see all the headphones I have owned for the last 12 years. Over 125. Within the past year or so I have owned 2 $3000 headphones - ZMF VC and Focal Stellia. Those 2 headphones couldn't hold a candle to these. I know that sounds crazy, right??? But it's true for my ears.

I agree about the thick pads being the best. I have tried the thinner stock pads, which weren't that bad really. I also ordered some other pads recommended earlier in this thread that I ended up throwing in the trash. I also had ordered a Hart Audio cable for these that wasn't anywhere near as good as the stock coiled cable sounds. That's a rare experience for me. Almost every after market cable has sounded better to me than stock.

I have to add that I am running these headphones through a $6000 system - iFi Pro iCan Signature/iDSD/Lokius. Most people who have an expensive system don't run cheap headphones. This is one of the reasons I haven't posted about my experience. What good is listening to some guy who says these are great but is using an expensive system to drive them? I get it. When I started in this hobby 12 years ago, I couldn't afford much and $220 headphones seemed pricey to me. But one thing I have learned in the 2 years I have had this iFi set up, is that you don't have to spend big bucks on headphones for the sound to be amazing. These Sig X have amazing subbass, midbass, beautiful mids, lots of detail and clarity and the best imaging I have ever heard. Please keep in mind that I only listen to EDM so YMMV.

One thing that I find interesting is that there hasn't been one pair of these on the For Sale forum. I realize that there probably isn't a ton of people purchasing these, but there are obviously some or this thread wouldn't exist. I keep looking because I would like to buy a back-up pair since the build quality is pretty bad. I will probably just end up buying a spare pair from Drop. If you are on the fence, I would take the plunge. If you don't like them then I will buy them from you.
Wow big statements
Why in the details the x is your fav out of all of the ones you have owned? And how come other brand can't match these with a much higher price tag.

And is it true that the punch and impact of mid and upper bass makes the drums in the x stand out and feel stronger than the rest? I'm asking because subbass quantity doesn't make headphones bass strong but rather fat and soft if you know what I mean

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #333 of 390
Wow big statements
Why in the details the x is your fav out of all of the ones you have owned? And how come other brand can't match these with a much higher price tag.

And is it true that the punch and impact of mid and upper bass makes the drums in the x stand out and feel stronger than the rest? I'm asking because subbass quantity doesn't make headphones bass strong but rather fat and soft if you know what I mean
Hameem have you tried the X? It is more mid bass than subbass quantity...especially with the big thick pads. I think what makes the signature x special is that it has a massive bass boost but has a good balance of midrange and treble that comes through all that bass and sounds good

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #334 of 390
Wow big statements

Everyone's idea of audio perfection is going to be different, obviously. I listen almost exclusively to electronic music so I am always looking for that perfect headphone for that genre. After getting the iFi system, I fell in love with all the ways you can tweak the sound. I decided that it would be my end game amp/dac and that I would only look for headphones that sounded good on that system. I tried quite a few and was surprised that the more highly regarded and expensive headphones just didn't do it for me. I really can't explain why. My ears like what they like and was pleasantly surprised that this group of mid-fi/budget headphones that I have collected all sounded amazing. The leader of that pack was the Denon 7200s, before I heard the Sig X.

If the bass isn't there, neither am I. But I don't like flabby, soft bass. It can't be the only feature like it is with the SZ2000, the supposed "King" of bass. The Signature X just gets everything right for me. Deep, impactful subbass, forward mids (feels like they are in the center of my head), detail and clarity, fun imaging (the way the sounds move around inside of your head). Words can only go so far to describe something that you feel viscerally. The "engagement" factor gets a 10 of 10 for me.

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #335 of 390
Everyone's idea of audio perfection is going to be different, obviously. I listen almost exclusively to electronic music so I am always looking for that perfect headphone for that genre. After getting the iFi system, I fell in love with all the ways you can tweak the sound. I decided that it would be my end game amp/dac and that I would only look for headphones that sounded good on that system. I tried quite a few and was surprised that the more highly regarded and expensive headphones just didn't do it for me. I really can't explain why. My ears like what they like and was pleasantly surprised that this group of mid-fi/budget headphones that I have collected all sounded amazing. The leader of that pack was the Denon 7200s, before I heard the Sig X.

If the bass isn't there, neither am I. But I don't like flabby, soft bass. It can't be the only feature like it is with the SZ2000, the supposed "King" of bass. The Signature X just gets everything right for me. Deep, impactful subbass, forward mids (feels like they are in the center of my head), detail and clarity, fun imaging (the way the sounds move around inside of your head). Words can only go so far to describe something that you feel viscerally. The "engagement" factor gets a 10 of 10 for me.
I know the bass is central, but haven't you heard other headphones that sound more punchy or hard hitting than the x? I heard the Signature Dxp might.. what about u

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #336 of 390
I know the bass is central, but haven't you heard other headphones that sound more punchy or hard hitting than the x? I heard the Signature Dxp might.. what about u
I guess it depends on what you experience as "punchy and hard hitting". I'm never sure what that means exactly. I'm usually not looking for just one or two elements. It's the overall package that I hear as a synchronistic whole that I make my decision on. I have never heard the DXP so I can't make a comparison. You should just take the plunge and experience them for yourself.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #337 of 390
I guess it depends on what you experience as "punchy and hard hitting". I'm never sure what that means exactly. I'm usually not looking for just one or two elements. It's the overall package that I hear as a synchronistic whole that I make my decision on. I have never heard the DXP so I can't make a comparison. You should just take the plunge and experience them for yourself.
By that I mean drums and percussions

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #338 of 390
@Hameem

Can I ask why you aren't trying/purchasing anything you say you are interested in? You keep asking people about DXP for like a long time over a month, that one I think is a model not a lot of people have owned. Why not just make a few purchases and decide first hand what you think? The X is even returnable. You could literally try it and return it within 30 days for a refund. You saw the list of Ultrasones that I have purchased and that is just Ultrasones. Squeakez also went through so many to find these. There is not a definitive answer that 100% of people will agree with and there are too many models where everyone would know each model.

The other part too is that you will STILL do not know if you get some answer. Like let's say you have an answer that DXP "slams the hardest" per someone so you go ahead and buy it. Still, without hearing the X, you don't know how it compares yourself. Many of these Ultrasones are not super expensive either, I'd say they are on the lower side for cost so it's much easier to play with than if you were looking at comparing Hifiman HE1000 versions.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #339 of 390
Just wanted to chime in to say that I appreciate all the recent discussion on the X's. They don't get much attention. Everything I've said about the X's in this thread was for the first version, which had a manufacturer defect. Ultrasone did a great job at remedying those issues and making further improvements. I've (finally) spent enough decent time with the second version, and they are much more balanced than my first pair. The sound signature with the deep pads is overall similar to the DXP just without the sparkly treble and with an additional bass boost on the already boosted bass of the DXP. With less treble the X's have less clarity and separation between each note, but with more bass the X's end up with their own fun sound. The bass is always there, the focus of every song. It rumbles, booms without becoming too boomy, and is a lot of fun.

@Dramlin disagrees with u

No, I'd say I don't :yum:. Everyone's opinion is valid, especially TWerks with his sheer amount of Ultrasone experience. My post in another thread on my 'slam' preference is just a preference. No one is wrong, getting multiple opinions on one headphone is the only way to account for bias, unit variance, and other factors.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #340 of 390
No, I'd say I don't :yum:. Everyone's opinion is valid, especially TWerks with his sheer amount of Ultrasone experience. My post in another thread on my 'slam' preference is just a preference. No one is wrong, getting multiple opinions on one headphone is the only way to account for bias, unit variance, and other factors.

Just wanted to chime in to say that I appreciate all the recent discussion on the X's. They don't get much attention. Everything I've said about the X's in this thread was for the first version, which had a manufacturer defect. Ultrasone did a great job at remedying those issues and making further improvements. I've (finally) spent enough decent time with the second version, and they are much more balanced than my first pair. The sound signature with the deep pads is overall similar to the DXP just without the sparkly treble and with an additional bass boost on the already boosted bass of the DXP. With less treble the X's have less clarity and separation between each note, but with more bass the X's end up with their own fun sound. The bass is always there, the focus of every song. It rumbles, booms without becoming too boomy, and is a lot of fun.
Thank you for participating, From what you wrote its more fun on the x, sounds exciting, since the whole bass range is more in the x the drums and percussions sound better in the x right? Would you say so?

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #341 of 390
The vmoda m100 I got now got good bass when EQ applied, without eq it's flat, boring, no s logic fun, and with eq it can a level where it's not distorted, with v shaped EQ the bass makes my ear vibrate on high volume, however the modbass slam between 100 and 200 hz is not like my old DJ1 model when I used to EQ it, the mids and Highs never are an issue and I never complain with a 20 band EQ. Even the lcd5 didn't kick good coming straight out of an expensive large sized amp, which makes me feel surprised, all I wanted was drums sounds that satisfied my taste, that made me feel like I'm in front of a festival subwoofer. I guess it's my taste, the herman curve was made with a collection of people that don't hear like us, I tend to hear the mids loud, when I apply v shaped EQ every thing sounds crisp and with more clarity and nothing like an old speaker from the 70s
I just don't know why although headphones are very close to ears they don't succeed often in replicating the kick sounds and snare sounds right

They say the x makes you feel like you inside a bassy club, I get that, but that soft sub bass sound isn't what I'm looking for.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #342 of 390
Just a short update on these from another week of listening.

Yes, these things are fantastic bass-centric headphones. I cannot think of another headphone on the market that has this level of fun, elevated bass. It has THE most quantity of bass from any of the many Ultrasone headphones I have owned when running thick stock pads. I'm very surprised they do not have more attention for the amount of fun these things deliver to genres with bass - EDM, POP, RAP, ETC. They are a unique headphone.

But IMO it is JUST on the mark for what it delivers - in other words, they did a really great job not going way overboard on the bass as to make it lose control - it is a lot of bass but the headphone still handles it and it doesn't get out of control.

I again would say to run the thick pads on them for that full experience. I do not like them with the stock memory pads the same. I also alternated with the vegan pads that came with my signature Natural. Those do bring down the bass several notches but it retains a very punchy character. They work quite well with the vegans for a more of a balanced sound signature but the clamp force of these with the harder vegan pads make me prefer running the softer thicker pads for comfort. I also think that the very special bass emphasized tuning you get with the thick pads is something worth keeping those on them for.

Bottom line - fantastic bass centered headphones that do something very very few headphones can do and that is have a nicely elevated level of bass but keep the rest of the signature enjoyable (mids/highs). They are warm overall but have just the right sparkle and a very enjoyable smooth midrange. They are not detail monsters and if anything is given up it is some treble extension up top but that is the trade off when choosing a headphone with this kind of response.

I highly recommend them for anyone who wants a bass leaning headphone - creaking and all.

I really thought I had heard it all when it comes to Ultrasone, but these have a different take on their formula that I love so much. I still find the Naturals to be brilliant and one of my favorite closed backs, period with wonderful detail and clarity. I still find the 780 fun, V-shape, and exciting.

But these things deliver a juicy, fun bass-head experience that is addictive.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #343 of 390
Just a short update on these from another week of listening.

Yes, these things are fantastic bass-centric headphones. I cannot think of another headphone on the market that has this level of fun, elevated bass. It has THE most quantity of bass from any of the many Ultrasone headphones I have owned when running thick stock pads. I'm very surprised they do not have more attention for the amount of fun these things deliver to genres with bass - EDM, POP, RAP, ETC. They are a unique headphone.

But IMO it is JUST on the mark for what it delivers - in other words, they did a really great job not going way overboard on the bass as to make it lose control - it is a lot of bass but the headphone still handles it and it doesn't get out of control.

I again would say to run the thick pads on them for that full experience. I do not like them with the stock memory pads the same. I also alternated with the vegan pads that came with my signature Natural. Those do bring down the bass several notches but it retains a very punchy character. They work quite well with the vegans for a more of a balanced sound signature but the clamp force of these with the harder vegan pads make me prefer running the softer thicker pads for comfort. I also think that the very special bass emphasized tuning you get with the thick pads is something worth keeping those on them for.

Bottom line - fantastic bass centered headphones that do something very very few headphones can do and that is have a nicely elevated level of bass but keep the rest of the signature enjoyable (mids/highs). They are warm overall but have just the right sparkle and a very enjoyable smooth midrange. They are not detail monsters and if anything is given up it is some treble extension up top but that is the trade off when choosing a headphone with this kind of response.

I highly recommend them for anyone who wants a bass leaning headphone - creaking and all.
Thanks, .... but not not details monsters makes me mean towards the dxp or sig dj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back