Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Sep 11, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #316 of 390
Ultrasone: Signature Studio, Signature DJ, Signature Natural, Signature Master, HFI 780, Ultrasone 1480i, HFI 2200, HFi 580, Pro 900, Pro 2900, Pro 2500, Performance 840, 860, 880, DJ1 Pro, Edition 9, Edition 5, Edition 11, Edition 8 EX, Edition 8 Ruthenium, Edition 8 Carbon

Yes, I've owned far more of them than that but have had both Master and DJ.

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #317 of 390
Ultrasone: Signature Studio, Signature DJ, Signature Natural, Signature Master, HFI 780, HFI 2200, HFi 580, Pro 900, Pro 2900, Pro 2500, Performance 840, 860, 880, DJ1 Pro, Edition 9, Edition 5, Edition 11, Edition 8 EX, Edition 8 Ruthenium, Edition 8 Carbon

Yes, I've owned far more of them but have had both Master and DJ.
Wow great! Among all you think the x hits the hardest, and got the best bass?

I heard the master is more detailed and hits harder

I like that you have tried all of those, I'm sure each one left an impression and signature worth remembering

I love ultrasone the most, that's why I'm active here

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #318 of 390
Ultrasone is PERFECTION for EDM. I have been through so many pairs too - like you - I always come back to Ultrasone for EDM.

And I also know what you mean about Mids. They are rich and beautiful.

Curious have you tried any of other Ultrasones?

I'm not surprised how much you love these - it surely is not about $$$ when it comes to this.

It's a great thing for EDM listeners for sure IMO. You could pay tons of money for high end or you could grab this one at $200 and be done.
Ultrasone is PERFECTION for EDM. I have been through so many pairs too - like you - I always come back to Ultrasone for EDM.

And I also know what you mean about Mids. They are rich and beautiful.

Curious have you tried any of other Ultrasones?

I'm not surprised how much you love these - it surely is not about $$$ when it comes to this.

It's a great thing for EDM listeners for sure IMO. You could pay tons of money for high end or you could grab this one at $200 and
Yes!! Ultrasone is really special with EDM. I have tried other Ultrasones: Signature DJ, Edition 10, Performance 860. My problem has been with the fit and comfort which is why I didn't keep them. With the Edition 10 I had to wear a sports headband just to keep them on my small and narrow head. The 860 was creaky beyond acceptable levels and the Sig DJ was bought used and the pads were in terrible condition and it was uncomfortable. The Sig X had some creaking but over time has gone away and I put a ZMF Pilot Pad on which has made the comfort perfect for me. I am a little concerned about the build quality. If I had the skills to change the headband like someone did earlier in this thread, I would do that.

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #319 of 390
Wow great! Among all you think the x hits the hardest, and got the best bass?

I heard the master is more detailed and hits harder

I like that you have tried all of those, I'm sure each one left an impression and signature worth remembering

I love ultrasone the most, that's why I'm active here

I just got these so I'll give an update but off the bat, yes. It's super impactful.

Most of the Ultrasones have what I consider punchy and impactful mid/upper bass.

The difference here is the quantity which is noticeably pushed up. So yes, it's hitting very hard with that punchy Ultrasone bass but it's elevated through the entire bass range in a very enjoyable way.

The master with its stock pads was not as hard hitting as this. Very nice headphone but you have to understand it is a "master" headphone and isn't going to boost bass where it's just superb fun. Many pro headphones are trying to give you a fairly accurate picture, a refined sound with low distortion, not a crazy balls to the walls fun sound.

The DJ I never liked and never understood the fuss with. In fact, the signature DJ was probably the most disappointing Ultrasone for me because it just sounded too polite for me.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #320 of 390
Yes!! Ultrasone is really special with EDM. I have tried other Ultrasones: Signature DJ, Edition 10, Performance 860. My problem has been with the fit and comfort which is why I didn't keep them. With the Edition 10 I had to wear a sports headband just to keep them on my small and narrow head. The 860 was creaky beyond acceptable levels and the Sig DJ was bought used and the pads were in terrible condition and it was uncomfortable. The Sig X had some creaking but over time has gone away and I put a ZMF Pilot Pad on which has made the comfort perfect for me. I am a little concerned about the build quality. If I had the skills to change the headband like someone did earlier in this thread, I would do that.
Performance line has build issues.

I had 2 pairs of 880's. I liked them a lot but both broke. Cup always eventually snaps off the assembly. Then I owned an 860, same thing happened. Popped right off.

After that, no more performance for me. It's a really bad build IMO. They were comfortable for me but they always break which really never happens to me with any other headphone, regardless of the manufacturer. I haven't had build issues with any other Ultrasones like those.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #322 of 390
Okay yeah these thick pads transform Signature Natural. Wow. They sound a lot more like the X now.

Warms/sweetens them up quite a bit, adds a large heap of extra low end but you also get the additional clarity of the titanium drivers.

I'll probably keep the thick pads on my Natural and the vegans on the X.

It's a bass head experience there for sure running X with thick pads.

The X sounds really great to me on the vegans, it has a little more balance - I think that's going to be my preferred pad.

A shame they aren't included instead of those memory foam ones because these are really very nice but maybe then it would just be to much identical to their pulse which also uses the same pad but costs way more.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #323 of 390
Okay yeah these thick pads transform Signature Natural. Wow. They sound a lot more like the X now.

Warms/sweetens them up quite a bit, adds a large heap of extra low end but you also get the increased clarity of the titanium drivers.

I'll probably keep the thick pads on my Natural and the vegans on the X.

It's a bass head experience there for sure running X with thick pads. The X sounds really great on the vegans.
Right, I agree on pads, and on ultrasone clarity and subbass quantity and quality, however what I disagree about is that the X is the most hard hitting among all the signature series.

What I mean is that the drums would hit the hardest in other my models if you know what I mean to a degree that hurts or feels physical and felt in a impactful way throught the mix.

Where the subbass makes it soft, the 100-150 hz area is where the ✨ magic right?

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #324 of 390
Right, I agree on pads, and on ultrasone clarity and subbass quantity and quality, however what I disagree about is that the X is the most hard hitting among all the signature series.

What I mean is that the drums would hit the hardest in other my models if you know what I mean to a degree that hurts or feels physical and felt in a impactful way throught the mix.

Where the subbass makes it soft, the 100-150 hz area is where the ✨ magic right?

Yeah, I think that's a distinction to consider. I didn't realize what affect was the thick pads and what was the headphone driver itself which was why I wanted to play with the pads for awhile. I just got these X so I'm still getting aquinted.

It's a very hard hitting driver and bass tilted headphone for sure because it is hitting me like a mule with the vegan pads.

I think you want the impact like upper and mid bass but really with a headphone like the X where bass is boosted all throughout - it hits very hard because a broader band of the bass frequency engages whenever it's punching. So - I think just upper mid/upper bass doesn't have this same impactful and full hit like I'm hearing on X.

It's like the lower bass is here supporting the rest of the slam.

I had Sivga SV021 before which was a very bassy headphone but that one was more sub-bass specific and didn't hit like this X.

But yeah, the Natural sounds harder hitting with the thick pad.

Problem is IDK how you could get these exact thick pads to say add to your DXP.

You would think Drop might sell them but not seeing it.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #325 of 390
Yeah, I think that's a distinction to consider. I didn't realize what affect was the thick pads and what was the headphone driver itself which was why I wanted to play with the pads for awhile. I just got these X so I'm still getting aquinted.

It's a very hard hitting driver and bass tilted headphone for sure because it is hitting me like a mule with the vegan pads.

I think you want the impact like upper and mid bass but really with a headphone like the X where bass is boosted all throughout - it hits very hard because a broader band of the bass frequency engages whenever it's punching. So - I think just upper mid/upper bass doesn't have this same impactful and full hit like I'm hearing on X.

It's like the lower bass is here supporting the rest of the slam.

But yeah, the Natural sounds harder hitting with the thick pad.

Problem is IDK how you could get these exact thick pads to say add to your DXP.

You would think Drop might sell them but not seeing it.
I don't have dxp, my last ultrasound was dj1, now I'm trying to pick based on what hits hard and I think we get it differently

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #326 of 390
I thought before you said you decided on DXP?

I also think you need to consider it's also about volume maybe more than only model. If you push the volume up higher on any of these, you get more perceived impact from that extra volume so long as the driver isn't topping out. There is only so much a 40/50 MM driver itself can do to push air. You aren't sitting in front of a massive watt system with crazy subs and woofer cones that will blast your face off. All these Ultrasone drivers have a certain amount of punch they can give - limits of physics and materials. Ultrasone as you know drivers punch better than most headphones.

The X compared with other models IMO is tuned with a LOT of bass punch.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #328 of 390
I can't say. It's deff right up there. It probably the most bass emphasis of all them but translation to impact is hard to answer.

As far as impact I have trouble because some of the other models are faster/tighter, which (to me) sounds impactful as well.

This model is bass emphasized and that helps it sound impactful rather than the most tight and speedy driver. Like the Planar Hifiman's to me have good impact for that reason - the drivers are so fast and speedy without any blurring of notes so the sound can hit fast. Think like a jump scare in a horror movie is all about the fast and loud note which come from nowhere and startles you - it's that INSTANTANEOUS speed of a loud pop that makes you jump.

To me - in general - the heavier bass emphasized headphones like X tend to sound slower in speed because of all that bass it's pushing. It's not slow by any means, just slow-er compared to something with less bass and tighter sound. Still the impact is there in terms of sheer force due to the quantity.

I also thought the edition 8 Carbon edition was VERY hard hitting but that headphone is also very rare and expensive and would not recommend chasing when you have far cheaper options available like the X.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #329 of 390
I think every note in a song will play in the same second and Milli second in every system, there is no such thing as snappy or fast bass for me, I don't get it.

The way I look at it is about feeling, sensing the sound waves, if I play the same song without eq on different headphones, I can tell which headphones makes the drums hit harder than the rest by simply noticing and paying attention to how the kicks standout from the rest of the elements of the song.

Also the snares would sound heavy with thickness more than usual compared to other headphones, that's is the good feeling that these headphones give that others don't, it's that clear cutting through satisfying sound frequencies of mid and upper bass that makes the sound of 808s and toms shine noticably regardless of how much subbass there is.

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #330 of 390
Have you heard something like an HE6SE or HE-500? The speed of those planar drivers is just something I think you need to hear to understand. I think planar in general can have an advantage with that sense of speed. The drivers just sound very FAST in their attack and decay.

Dynamics can too - something like the Focal Elex to me sounded really fast - but I just find it very apparent in planars like I mentioned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back