Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Jan 4, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #76 of 390
I agree with you, there is not enough out there about these to even make people aware. I know Ultrasone is not super popular which I cannot understand being a fan but still.

Like literally the only video review out there on them is Zeos.

This entire thread on head-fi (now whopping page 5) is at the end of the day mostly just a few of us.

And most of us here were already Ultrasone fans anyways, rather than new folks looking to try a new brand.

If they'd release even just an initial batch, at least you'd see some more discussion.

Yea, I'm not suprised it hasn't got so much reach yet.

I'm no Ultrasone fan personally by any means, the only Ultrasone I have owned is the Signature DJ which I paid over 700€ at the time but in the end, ended up prefering my old 120€ M-Audio Q40 in the end despite giving them some time but if it's anything I've learnt with this hobby, sound signature fitting your tastes is just the most important, it's not if it's objectively measures correct and how balanced and detailed and what not. I'm just trying to find a replacement of my now discontinued M-Audio Q40 for years already, ie a "^--" shape headphone with boosted bass and even mid/highs balance and I thought the Signature DJ was just slightly too much V-shaped, so I felt the mids like vocals and instruments weren't enough in-my-face and the highs just slightly too bright for me. I go with the mindset a 750 or 250€ headphone has equally much chance of satisfying me and try to see if it's enough close to a ^-- shape measurement for starters and then proceed to try gather info if the bass is more of the sloppy boomy type of punchy controlled type etc etc. and how much Ultrasone boasts about the quality of the boosted bass really speaks to me personally in this headphone and knowing Ultrasone tends to focus on that type of bass signature in pretty much all their headphones why many people enjoy them especially for EDM style music like I'm mainly listening to. Not even the fancier audiophile stuff tend to get the bass right all of the time because 90% of the focus were on the mids and highs and having less bass quantity the quality of it also stands out less. When you have headphones with boosted bass it becomes increasingly more important it's not of the sloppy type. Comparing multiple Ultrasone DJ measurements with this one's it's quite clear the bass is slightly bit less, seems DJs were more of a ~8dB boost or so over the midrange and the Signature X is in the ~6dB or so area and the mids are more elevated and the highs less emphasized so theoretically I know these should probably be a better fit for me than Signature DJs were.

The biggest problem I've had with headphones I've tried the bass just sounded too sloppy compared to the M-Audio Q40 or the frequency balance had some issues (especially "ringing" in the upper-mid area seems like a common one). Campfire Cascades is another 700€+ headphone that I thought did worse in this regard to the much cheaper M-Audio Q40.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #77 of 390
I'm also slightly interested in the Pulse headphones so your input of comparing these two would be HIGHLY valuable to me no doubt but it's ofc your own call. :)
Oh no worries, I'm just being overly dramatic :) . I'm too excited about the X's to do anything but wait and look forward to them. I do hope this is the last delay though. They need to communicate with us on what is going on.

Best thing to do now would be to put more review units out there
I agree with you, there is not enough out there about these to even make people aware. I know Ultrasone is not super popular (which I never understood being a fan) but still.
If they'd release even just an initial batch, at least you'd see some more discussion happening.

Agreed on all fronts. This is what happens when you've got a company making excellent headphones that doesn't advertise outside of their local area. If they were a sponsor on head-fi their name would be well known again. Not sure who else could get the word out, but more review units or releasing an initial batch is a great idea.

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #79 of 390
The short explanation is that there was a "longer than could be anticipated logistics issue," affecting many products. Everyone who ordered products affected by the delay will be getting emails tomorrow containing DROP's sincere apologies and explaining our efforts to work around the issue, and ship ASAP.

DROP's shipping partner and warehouse is experiencing a longer than anticipated system outage, which backed up a number of products in their shipping times. To expedite orders while working with Drop's partner to understand and resolve the issue, Drop is making shipment arrangements through an additional shipment warehouse. Due to the high volume of orders, Drop and it's partners will be working to bring all shipments back to normal time frames within the next few weeks. The current most accurate estimated shipping date is shown at the bottom of each product detail page.

Edit: Link to the full, official response: https://drop.com/talk/122307/shipping-status-update-january-2023?utm_source=linkshare

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #80 of 390
Wonderful update, thank you very much for getting to the bottom of it.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #82 of 390
I agree with you, there is not enough out there about these to even make people aware. I know Ultrasone is not super popular (which I never understood being a fan) but still.

Like literally the only video review out there on them is Zeos.

This entire thread on head-fi (now whopping page 5) - is at the end of the day mostly just a few of us complaining about the wait.

And most of us here were already Ultrasone fans anyways - rather than new folks looking to try a new brand.

If they'd release even just an initial batch, at least you'd see some more discussion happening.
I plan to first do a video chronicaling some experiments to reduce the echoes in my home office/recording room, but if you like, I could make a video on YouTube, while we wait for logistics to catch up to shipping to more people. Is there anything I didn't cover yet that you would like in a video? This is my first Ultrasone, but I do have a lot of headphones (and someone did ask for an HD 560S comparison, plus I think an HD 280 Pro comparison would be good too).

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #83 of 390
Glad it turned out to be a logistics issue rather than "being unpopular", for me there's no really need for apologize from drop really, I'm just satisfied knowing the reason for the delay and them trying to do what they can to resolve it. Thx for finding out for us @Evshrug, I think you're doing a good and welcomed job regarding Drop. Are you planning to review other headphones and such in the future as well perhaps that Drop announces? It would be very useful to a lot of people I'm sure of.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #84 of 390
Glad it turned out to be a logistics issue rather than "being unpopular", for me there's no really need for apologize from drop really, I'm just satisfied knowing the reason for the delay and them trying to do what they can to resolve it. Thx for finding out for us @Evshrug, I think you're doing a good and welcomed job regarding Drop. Are you planning to review other headphones and such in the future as well perhaps that Drop announces? It would be very useful to a lot of people I'm sure of.
Quite honestly, reviewing stuff was one of the things I missed the most when working for a manufacturer. I do think people need a more in-depth description of sound and the utility of products, and I want to cover some things I believe other reviewers miss. I have the opportunity to get access to a lot of gear through DROP and their vendor partners. Though with respect to my connection to Drop now, I may call them “descriptions” or “overviews” instead of reviews. My opinion will be in there, but I think we all know that people make their own conclusions, so that won’t be the focus.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #85 of 390
I'm glad the delay is a result of a logistics problem, and not the more (rightfully) cynical thought about goosing sales. If the headphone is as good as advertised, the reviews should be largely positive and the buzz should help the bottom line (that's how it's supposed to work, right?).

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #86 of 390
Yeah, that’s how it’s supposed to work; a virtuous cycle that allows good stuff to grow.
1672945483319.gif

(The shipping delays are a bummer though)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #87 of 390
Quite honestly, reviewing stuff was one of the things I missed the most when working for a manufacturer. I do think people need a more in-depth description of sound and the utility of products, and I want to cover some things I believe other reviewers miss. I have the opportunity to get access to a lot of gear through DROP and their vendor partners. Though with respect to my connection to Drop now, I may call them “descriptions” or “overviews” instead of reviews. My opinion will be in there, but I think we all know that people make their own conclusions, so that won’t be the focus.

Yes I wasn't thinking of reviewing in the more traditional format but your description-like sound assessment in the more brief bullet point-style was perfect for me to get a quick rough estimation what to expect from the sound. Everyone tend to analyze and come to slightly different conclusions depending on what headphones they have had experience with and what tastes they have etc but a description of the sound you made which you are able to do as you hear various headphones and get a better and better idea where different aspects in the sound stands like can still give quite good overall picture in what to expect from the headphone so thanks for that. :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #88 of 390
I can understand it's hard to review stuff when you're not usually a reviewer. I can decide whether I like a headphone or not but providing an entertaining and informative review can be a challenge.

@Evshrug -

Anyways we appreciate your participation on this thread in keeping us informed about the collab!

Something you didn't have to do but obviously decided to take on.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #89 of 390
I can understand it's hard to review stuff when you're not usually a reviewer. I can decide whether I like a headphone or not but providing an entertaining and informative review can be a challenge.

@Evshrug -

Anyways we appreciate your participation on this thread in keeping us informed about the collab!

Something you didn't have to do but obviously decided to take on.
Well I used to be a reviewer, that’s how I got noticed by Sennheiser way back when! I wouldn’t say I got famous or anything though, haha. Most of my old reviews are still connected to my Head-Fi profile here, including one I did recently last year when I was between jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back