DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Dec 1, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #571 of 767
I was a bit nervous about how they'd sound as in all honesty I was never sold on the Oppo PM-3s after trialling them a few times instore, but despite the similar driver these seem tuned quite differently. So far the sound is pretty impressive, nice black, quiet background, good sense of space. They don't have as much kick and punch down low as my B&W P7s, but I guess that would be expected. They're quite detailed but simultaneously smooth, like it avoids anything too glaring or bright. I'll listen for a good week or so before thinking too much more about the sound yet. Has anyone noticed changes with burn-in? I haven't seen anything mentioned in this thread.

Your description sounds like my Montblanc MB01 I ended up getting during Drop delays.

Really safe tuning with no spikes in the bass or treble. No high shelf in the treble or bass that gives a false sense of extra resolution in metallic shimmer or extra slam. Warm but closer to neutral. Perfect in that it doesn't muddy things like other Bluetooth headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #572 of 767
I received my pair today and I have to say they sound great when paired to my Samsung Galaxy S20. No hassle pairing, it asked me whether to enable LDAC and just works as intended including the built-in microphone.

This brings me back to the questions I asked earlier. What is the best way to connect these as a head-set to a PC running Windows 10. Has anyone have found a solution on how to use the Panda with LDAC quality for Zoom, Teams, etc.

Cheers

Thomas
To date, there is only the Fiio BTA30 that transmit LDAC from a pc. There is a Hiby but it a $150 POS. I bought the Panda to use with the BTA30 and reach a TOTL LDAC wireless experience. I've got 15Tb of music on my home NAS.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #573 of 767
Is the bta30 able to transmit bluetooth bidirectional while using ldac?

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #574 of 767
Not in my experience to date. RX and TX (and the DAC function) are isolated protocols. I did find something interesting. Using the ASIO driver, that came with my Asus Essence II, when using the coaxial (and not the optical) it will play DSD64 through LDAC!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #576 of 767
Any news about the Drop Panda app?

Posted on December 15 by Drop's Chief Products Officer.
"Yes, we have achieved full parametric EQ, managed by the DSP cores in Panda. You EQ, save it to Panda, and now that eq is applied no matter what BT source you use. Full announcement + press release + visuals coming toward the end of the month with software release in late January. World first Parametric EQ in a headphone. Can't wait for the audiophile meetups next year with 30 Pandas that all sound different."

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #577 of 767
Posted on December 15 by Drop's Chief Products Officer.
"Yes, we have achieved full parametric EQ, managed by the DSP cores in Panda. You EQ, save it to Panda, and now that eq is applied no matter what BT source you use. Full announcement + press release + visuals coming toward the end of the month with software release in late January. World first Parametric EQ in a headphone. Can't wait for the audiophile meetups next year with 30 Pandas that all sound different."
Awesome! Thank you!!

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #579 of 767
my 3rd pair finally shipped, wish me luck

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #581 of 767
What about Sound quality on Panda vs Mobius? Some are saying the Panda is better. But I’ve only heard blanket statements, “it’s better for music” or “it just sounds better”. I wonder if it’s the soundstage or imaging? I haven’t hear anything technical. What exactly makes it better? The world may never know. 😂

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #582 of 767
What about Sound quality on Panda vs Mobius? Some are saying the Panda is better. But I’ve only heard blanket statements, “it’s better for music” or “it just sounds better”. I wonder if it’s the soundstage or imaging? I haven’t hear anything technical. What exactly makes it better? The world may never know. 😂

They are two very different animals IMO. I own both.

If you are a gamer and the surround sound and head tracking are needed: Mobius hands down.
If you use the headphones for watching movies and you want the surround: Mobius.
If you are a 2-channel music listener: Panda, without question.
Comfort: Panda.

I've never liked what ANC does to sound quality so for me, the Panda is the ultimate wireless solution. LDAC with 0 noise floor and extremely good passive isolation makes the Panda a win for me. If i had to depend on ANC, i.e., frequent plane, train, or bus travel where you're trying to eliminate drones in certain frequency ranges, then that would be a different issue, but I use the Panda when outside for exercise so the passive isolation is sufficient for my needs.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #583 of 767
Mobius is plain bad for music.Their only advantage is their 3d thing and head tracking, a lot of DSP go into those. Pandas are good headphones without DSP trickery. You try to listen music on Mobius and it sounds bad, the only thing I could use Mobius for was to watch YT videos and movies, they just don't sound right with music. I sold them a long time ago, so I cannot try to find out what specifically makes them bad, but I would stay away from them.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #584 of 767
Mobius is plain bad for music.Their only advantage is their 3d thing and head tracking, a lot of DSP go into those. Pandas are good headphones without DSP trickery. You try to listen music on Mobius and it sounds bad, the only thing I could use Mobius for was to watch YT videos and movies, they just don't sound right with music. I sold them a long time ago, so I cannot try to find out what specifically makes them bad, but I would stay away from them.
They are two very different animals IMO. I own both.

If you are a gamer and the surround sound and head tracking are needed: Mobius hands down.
If you use the headphones for watching movies and you want the surround: Mobius.
If you are a 2-channel music listener: Panda, without question.
Comfort: Panda.

I've never liked what ANC does to sound quality so for me, the Panda is the ultimate wireless solution. LDAC with 0 noise floor and extremely good passive isolation makes the Panda a win for me. If i had to depend on ANC, i.e., frequent plane, train, or bus travel where you're trying to eliminate drones in certain frequency ranges, then that would be a different issue, but I use the Panda when outside for exercise so the passive isolation is sufficient for my needs.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve read that putting it into the warm eq almost sounds like the Pandas. Is that true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back