DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Dec 25, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #586 of 767
Does anyone know if the Panda supports hi-res 24bit/96kHz over usb-c audio? I can’t seem to find any official specs confirming this.
Didn't realize the Panda did USB audio actually.. maybe I read it sometime but forgot.

So I just pulled my out to try. I'm on Windows 10 using Audirvana. USB audio is working fine. Most of my collection is in 16/44.1, but when I try to play a 24/96 album in my collection it shows up in Audirvana as coming out as 24/48. Likewise, if I go into Audirvana's preferences for the Panda and try to create a custom upsampling profile for it, the maximum sample rate that shows up is 48 kHz. So it seems it has no problems with the 24 bit depth but 48 kHz is the maximum sample rate. At least with Audirvana though I can still play back those files, just that they are downsampled to 48 instead.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #587 of 767
Mobius is plain bad for music.Their only advantage is their 3d thing and head tracking, a lot of DSP go into those. Pandas are good headphones without DSP trickery. You try to listen music on Mobius and it sounds bad, the only thing I could use Mobius for was to watch YT videos and movies, they just don't sound right with music. I sold them a long time ago, so I cannot try to find out what specifically makes them bad, but I would stay away from them.
Mobius is a really badly tuned headphone. I tried it for a short while and got rid of it quickly. The headtracking is real gimmicky. There was so much hype behind it.

So, does Panda have a system you can EQ the headphone and it will save it in the headphone for usage with any BT connection? And it's parametric? This is a feature I was always curious if can be implemented with wireless headphones at some point. Last I've heard you can do it with Jabra TWS, but don't think it was parametric.

To be honest, a wireless head loses practicality or usage scearios if not including ANC. That's the main reason for getting a wireless portable headphone for me as a iem guy as well. I don't like to walk around with fullsized on my head.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #588 of 767
Mobius is a really badly tuned headphone. I tried it for a short while and got rid of it quickly. The headtracking is real gimmicky. There was so much hype behind it.

So, does Panda have a system you can EQ the headphone and it will save it in the headphone for usage with any BT connection? And it's parametric? This is a feature I was always curious if can be implemented with wireless headphones at some point.
Yes. That feature will be released in January. Full parametric.

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #591 of 767

So, does Panda have a system you can EQ the headphone and it will save it in the headphone for usage with any BT connection? And it's parametric? This is a feature I was always curious if can be implemented with wireless headphones at some point. Last I've heard you can do it with Jabra TWS, but don't think it was parametric.

To be honest, a wireless head loses practicality or usage scearios if not including ANC. That's the main reason for getting a wireless portable headphone for me as a iem guy as well. I don't like to walk around with fullsized on my head.

It’s funny because on the Mobius thread, others are saying the opposite. They say the Pandas bass doesn’t really slam deep like the Mobius and the soundstage is thin compared to the Mobius(without 3D). I guess I have to get them both to compare.

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #592 of 767
It’s funny because on the Mobius thread, others are saying the opposite. They say the Pandas bass doesn’t really slam deep like the Mobius and the soundstage is thin compared to the Mobius(without 3D). I guess I have to get them both to compare.
Like Mobius has bass slam, let alone deep. Lol. Threads are always biased to the headphones of topic. People need to consider these are just objects, and be open to all kinds of unbiased discussions.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #593 of 767
Depends how you use it as well. The amp in the Panda isn't that powerful. Try it out of a desktop amp or decent mobile amp and you immediately hear the difference.
Never had the Mobius but I do have the Penrose and it's built in amp has more grunt.

Keep in mind there is tuning as well. The Mobius was meant to be a gaming headphone so I wouldn't be surprised if the Panda did better with music. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Mobius.

The Penrose has a tougher build quality as well, no idea about the Mobius.

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #594 of 767
Finally got a working pair!! Thank God.

Running them off my onkyo dps1 and they sound great. My first set of bluetooth audio of any sort.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #595 of 767
Depends how you use it as well. The amp in the Panda isn't that powerful. Try it out of a desktop amp or decent mobile amp and you immediately hear the difference.
Never had the Mobius but I do have the Penrose and it's built in amp has more grunt.

Keep in mind there is tuning as well. The Mobius was meant to be a gaming headphone so I wouldn't be surprised if the Panda did better with music. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Mobius.

The Penrose has a tougher build quality as well, no idea about the Mobius.
How would you compare the quality of the Sound of your Penrose vs Panda. You can EQ the Penrose. The EQ app for the Panda is coming soon. I wonder if it will allow bigger changes to the sound. I’m not sure if I like such a warm sound signature. Also how would you compare the Soundstage of the two? Thanks for your help.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #598 of 767
How would you compare the quality of the Sound of your Penrose vs Panda. You can EQ the Penrose. The EQ app for the Panda is coming soon. I wonder if it will allow bigger changes to the sound. I’m not sure if I like such a warm sound signature. Also how would you compare the Soundstage of the two? Thanks for your help.

Penrose for Gaming, Panda for listening to music.
The Panda is not a light headphone.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #599 of 767
Thanks everyone for all your help on this thread. I’m thinking of returning my Panda headphones because of comfort issues. I’m within 30 days and still in new condition. Anyone experience problems returning theirs? I’ve seen some complaints about Drop not responding to return requests.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #600 of 767
D-Panda's arrived today.
Unboxed, put on, been listening.
Doing that now.
Have shuffled through Jazz, Disco, Acoustic, Folk, Hard Rock, etc.

Prior to listening today to these, ive been listening to Sundara's, Elex, Aeon X, and HD800S.

When i first put these on, they clamped a lot and felt north of light, but as ive worn them, they relaxed toward semi- comfort, except for the headband.

Its always an adjustment to go from one listening context to a different one, as in Open to Closed.
So, if that is ever your case, you have to give your ears time to figure it all out.
Mine have figured it all out now, regarding the Panda.
I dont want to call them "Drop Panda", as who wants to drop such a cute and cuddly bear?

--------------------------------------------------------

Verdict?

Well, im using them with a Matrix mini -i3 and the volume is -47.0 and that Killer Gear is making these sing.
Also, i never use wireless, i always use wired.
And, as i reviewed these prior to purchase, some reviewers that seem to know what they are doing... concluded that the Wired
and Wireless sound, is exaclty the same.
Normally the wired is better, but in this case, as these reviewers loved the wireless sound, i was ok with the purchase.
I could not tell you if the wireless sounds the same as wired,.... as i wont be using these without a wire.

What my ears can tell you is that these are adjusted by the engineer/design team to sound neutral, natural, and especially good for voices.
Mids are about .5 stepped up, which is a good thing.
Overall....
The Panda's sound is engaging and pleasant.
Panda Timbre is honest and good.
Bass is fairly detailed, and at least one step back from the Elex and the Sundara, so, that is 3 steps above the original bassless Aeon Closed.
These are not bass canons, but don't give up yet....
Mids are good and slightly wet and dialed in for vocals as i stated.. They are not shallow, scooped, or veiled.
The midrange tonality is pleasing.
Overall Treble is more rich than airy, and definitely not as sharp as the recent HD560S.

The Panda is a good value for its Price, and the headband is unfortunate as it does not have enough padding.
This can be modified for pleasure........no biggie.
-
DSC09529.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back