DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #301 of 767
Re Padding, we're adding a layer of very squishy, perforated foam padding in the headband. Re Extension, we're extending the range by 1-2 clicks The team has been working day and night to incorporate these changes while maintaining our fulfillment schedule.
Thanks for this. Please investigate the NVX Standard (non angled) Pleather pads. A link is below. These are so much like leather vs. other simulated leather pads (like Brainwavz). They are softer than Brainwavz famous HM5 pleather or real leather or velour pads AND have a larger opening. These are my favorite, most comfortable pads. Only $20 at the link below or on Amazon. Also, Monoprice just started selling pads very similar to this (not quite as thick, close, but it's their only disadvantage) for only $10. Same great soft, realistic, fake leather, same large opening. Pads like the NVX Standard - or, one with a bit more padding would probably put these headphones over the top. The existing pads are about as soft as they are, but like the OPPO pads, don't have enough inner foam to stop compression so your drivers touch the insides. I've got above average ears in top to bottom length, but they are average to flat against my head, so if MY ears touch the driver, there is no hope with someone with the kind of ears that stick way out either. Of course if you test them and they ruin the sound, they won't work.

https://nvx.com/xre100s-comfortmax-standard-cushions

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #302 of 767
The reviews are really glowing and I could see how this would be a perfect option for how I like to approach headphones with a mobile focused flow and use case!

Super glad to hear that USB-C bit perfect is on the menu @WillBright!

The frequency response is my last personal niggle on these. I’m curious if a DSP implementation is still looking like it’ll happen or if there has been progress on that topic?

Specifically, I listen to mostly EDM so I’m hoping to tune closer to Harman with elevation in the sub-bass in a way that slams with those bass drops :-D

Parametric EQ With user presets and equal loudness curves would be a dream come true for the ultimate portable audiophile experience!

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #306 of 767
Would these be able to utilize Tidal’s lossless quality on an iPhone via Bluetooth?
Yes but over iphone you'll be limited to the AAC codec. With android or a different DAP you can get LDAC.

True, but just to be clear, even on Android Bluetooth itself is never lossless.

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #307 of 767
True, but just to be clear, even on Android Bluetooth itself is never lossless.
Agree but LDAC should get you closer and is a main reason why I'm ditching iPhones until they step up their game. However I assume tidal using lightning out and a cck adapter will work and sound excellent.

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #308 of 767
Would these be able to utilize Tidal’s lossless quality on an iPhone via Bluetooth?

The iPhone options are AAC for wireless and USB for bit perfect. They do sound good in AAC.

I’ve not found tidal lossless streams to be very reliable while walking/driving & tend to use Spotify in those scenarios. In which case, I would use the AAC.

For times at home/office where lossless steaming is more feasible, I plan to use USB sound from my MacBook or iPhone. iPhone needs the camera kit.

I already have a similar flow with the Mobius & have a dedicated (CCK-kit -> USB-A to USB-C) cable Ready to go.

It’s a slight compromise from your ask but it achieves an ideal wireless & lossless flow while staying in my preferred OS.

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #310 of 767
The iPhone options are AAC for wireless and USB for bit perfect. They do sound good in AAC.

I’ve not found tidal lossless streams to be very reliable while walking/driving & tend to use Spotify in those scenarios. In which case, I would use the AAC.

For times at home/office where lossless steaming is more feasible, I plan to use USB sound from my MacBook or iPhone. iPhone needs the camera kit.

I already have a similar flow with the Mobius & have a dedicated (CCK-kit -> USB-A to USB-C) cable Ready to go.

It’s a slight compromise from your ask but it achieves an ideal wireless & lossless flow while staying in my preferred OS.
So to clarify for a layman, if my main intention is to primarily use the Pandas only for wireless with an iPhone, I won’t be able to utilize the Tidal 16bit files, correct?

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #311 of 767
So to clarify for a layman, if my main intention is to primarily use the Pandas only for wireless with an iPhone, I won’t be able to utilize the Tidal 16bit files, correct?
Yes and no. You can certainly play those files over bluetooth but they will be limited to Apples AAC codec so there will be some loss in sound quality. It will sound very good but it wont be the same as your wired setup. As mentioned up a little, if you go wired out of your lightning connector with a cck adapter you should get lossless playback.

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #312 of 767
Yes and no. You can certainly play those files over bluetooth but they will be limited to Apples AAC codec so there will be some loss in sound quality. It will sound very good but it wont be the same as your wired setup. As mentioned up a little, if you go wired out of your lightning connector with a cck adapter you should get lossless playback.
Makes sense, thanks! I’m literally buying these solely to be wireless headphones, so I guess I’ll just have to accept I’ll be maxed out at 320 AAC on Tidal.

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #313 of 767
Makes sense, thanks! I’m literally buying these solely to be wireless headphones, so I guess I’ll just have to accept I’ll be maxed out at 320 AAC on Tidal.
Or you could buy an android ... or even a cheap android to serve as your dap and use LDAC.

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #315 of 767
Realistically if there's any audible difference between AAC on iPhone and LDAC on Android with these headphones it's likely to be pretty small, if it exists at all. Apples AAC implantation is pretty good and probably pretty close to transparent in many circumstances

Users who are viewing this thread

Back