Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #1,321 of 1,383
I was of the same opinion till I heard what "real" treble extension sounded like. Its a you can't miss something you've never had kind of thing. But once you know what you're missing, its hard to unmiss.

Brightness wise the I've tamed it down with the Moondrop KXXS filters relative to the filterless nozzle, think of it as very slightly brighter than the middle nozzle with better treble extension. Its about right and i like the slight bump in the 4khz range which gives treble instruments some extra snap. What I mean by lacking treble extension is the "airiness" of said treble, specifically the 10khz+ range which enhances the sense of space.

I've tried to replicate what I heard with EQ and while of course its not exactly the same it gives an idea of what I'm talking about, give it a shot
10khz : +4db
16khz : +7db
I will try it! But I am pretty sure anything at 16khz will be totally lost on me.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #1,323 of 1,383
Beyer DT 900 Pro X

I know it's not an IEM, but I see that you have headphones in your inventory as well.

You can filter roll as well, and get different results
Stock filter, Amiron filter, simple round filter.
I'm only looking for iems sorry, I already have a Hifiman Arya on the way.

Dec 16, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,325 of 1,383
Anyone with an FDX1 who heard the Moondrop Kato?
Not that I am in the market for another IEM, but I am curious how the Kato would hold up against the FDX1.

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #1,326 of 1,383
I bought the Moondrop Spring Tips a few weeks ago and decided to try them on the FDX1.
Interesting alternartive IMO!
They are very comfortable and seal better than the Spiral Dot ++ for me, and they sound a little more direct and defined than the SD++.
They might be a little less smooth than the SD++ but I feel the improved seal beefs up the sub bass a bit and the reduced smoothness makes them a little more energetic.

What seals the deal for me is that their shape and the slightly tacky surface simply provide a more secure and comfortable fit.
They are by far the cheapest of my 3 main IEMs but I still greatly enjoy them and they might be the most versatile set I own.

PS: IF you try the Spring Tips - be aware that they fit VERY securely onto the FDX1 nozzles and are really hard to get off! You really need to pry them off with a toothpick, simply pulling them off doesn't work. I tore 2 of them apart trying...

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,327 of 1,383
I bought the Moondrop Spring Tips a few weeks ago and decided to try them on the FDX1.
Interesting alternartive IMO!
They are very comfortable and seal better than the Spiral Dot ++ for me, and they sound a little more direct and defined than the SD++.
They might be a little less smooth than the SD++ but I feel the improved seal beefs up the sub bass a bit and the reduced smoothness makes them a little more energetic.

What seals the deal for me is that their shape and the slightly tacky surface simply provide a more secure and comfortable fit.
They are by far the cheapest of my 3 main IEMs but I still greatly enjoy them and they might be the most versatile set I own.

PS: IF you try the Spring Tips - be aware that they fit VERY securely onto the FDX1 nozzles and are really hard to get off! You really need to pry them off with a toothpick, simply pulling them off doesn't work. I tore 2 of them apart trying...
Going to get a set next time i visit my local audio store. Have been hearing good things about it regarding clarity.

Yeah, I've tried the variations and it was more of a sidegrade. Have the M9 but thats for more laid back listening with warmer vocals. Looking forward to trying the Thieaudio Oracle/Excalibur as potential successors.

The only set I've heard so far with substantially better treble is the $3500 Elysian Accoustics Annihilator but it's more of a fun set than one tuned for absolute clarity as i find that its boosted bass occludes the mids somewhat.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #1,328 of 1,383
Going to get a set next time i visit my local audio store. Have been hearing good things about it regarding clarity.

Yeah, I've tried the variations and it was more of a sidegrade. Have the M9 but thats for more laid back listening with warmer vocals. Looking forward to trying the Thieaudio Oracle/Excalibur as potential successors.

The only set I've heard so far with substantially better treble is the $3500 Elysian Accoustics Annihilator but it's more of a fun set than one tuned for absolute clarity as i find that its boosted bass occludes the mids somewhat.

I find the FDX1 extremely versatile, it has a very balanced tuning that gives each frequency presence without being overpowering.
This equal presence reduces the impression of clarity and separation somewhat, but if that's the price to pay I am OK with it.

The Variations has much more clarity focus IMO, with the forward sub bass and upper mids and the recessed upper bass/lower midrange.
Clarity, separation and stage depth seem to benbefit, but it's a little thin and lacks some body. The brain adapts, but I still think it's more of a specialized than versatile IEM.

The M9 is a little more laid back for sure, the bass and sub bass simply can't keep up with the driving force and energy of a good DD. But it's still good bass, and the mids and treble are so detailed yet non fatiguing! Really nice.
I do feel that the stock cable is holding it back, and it's sooo sensitive to tip selection!
With the CHORD Hugo 2, CEMA PS cable and Spring Tips it gets a little more dynamic and clarity improves further.

But we are talking here about IEMs of $250, $500 and $1000, seing it this way the FDX1 remains a GREAT value in the IEM world!

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,329 of 1,383
I still think the FDX1 does some things better than many IEMs regardless of price, for me it's the dynamics and precision of the sound. They remind me of open back Focal headphones like the Elex and Clear in that regard. They are just so incredibly fast and precise, beating out many high end IEMs I've tried. For example, the Dunu Zen Pro while very impressive, somehow the FDX1 keeps right up with them in terms of clarity and dynamics. It doesn't quite have the same detail or wide planar-like staging of the Zen Pro, but the FDX1 actually sounds a little faster in the bass to my ears. Stuff like the Kinera Nanna 2.0 and other hybrid/tri-brids have a larger more natural stage and imaging, but the FDX1 I think beats them in dynamic realism and timbre.
The best way I can describe the FDX1's presentation of sound, it's like a closed back headphone without the closed back flaws such as cup coloration. Deep sub bass extension, intimate imaging/soundstage, and overall an intense dynamic presentation. That's why I keep them around.

I do use a bit of EQ to make them warmer, which brings out the technical performance even more than with the filters alone.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #1,330 of 1,383
I still think the FDX1 does some things better than many IEMs regardless of price, for me it's the dynamics and precision of the sound. They remind me of open back Focal headphones like the Elex and Clear in that regard. They are just so incredibly fast and precise, beating out many high end IEMs I've tried. For example, the Dunu Zen Pro while very impressive, somehow the FDX1 keeps right up with them in terms of clarity and dynamics. It doesn't quite have the same detail or wide planar-like staging of the Zen Pro, but the FDX1 actually sounds a little faster in the bass to my ears. Stuff like the Kinera Nanna 2.0 and other hybrid/tri-brids have a larger more natural stage and imaging, but the FDX1 I think beats them in dynamic realism and timbre.
The best way I can describe the FDX1's presentation of sound, it's like a closed back headphone without the closed back flaws such as cup coloration. Deep sub bass extension, intimate imaging/soundstage, and overall an intense dynamic presentation. That's why I keep them around.

I do use a bit of EQ to make them warmer, which brings out the technical performance even more than with the filters alone.

bit dissapointed to read that RE: Zen Pro which I've been curious to try- the dunu IEMs in my experience (2000j, 4001) shared some of the tighest, cleanest bass (though I have FD01 and not FDX1 which IIRC some have said has slightly better bass response)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #1,331 of 1,383
bit dissapointed to read that RE: Zen Pro which I've been curious to try- the dunu IEMs in my experience (2000j, 4001) shared some of the tighest, cleanest bass (though I have FD01 and not FDX1 which IIRC some have said has slightly better bass response)
That's just my subjective experience so far. It's not a huge difference in the bass, but the Zen Pro to me sounds more realistic and bigger, while the FDX1 is sort of small sounding but snappier. I will say the Zen Pro is a lot more convincing of an open experience, closer to that of an open back full size headphone, while the FDX1 still sounds like a typical IEM. Also your experience will vary depending on the tips, I have only used the stock Dunu tips and Azla SednaEarFit Crystal tips so far and the Spiral Dot ++ EP-FX10 on the JVC.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #1,332 of 1,383
I find the conversation around the FDX1 lacking treble extension quite interesting, in that it does not match my experience. Using the middle nozzle I find the FDX1 to be a bit bright for my tastes (the filter with the greatest amount of material being too dark and sound “blunted”) and this morning before checking this thread I was coincidentally playing around with tips to tone the FDX1 treble down a bit, settling on the Final Type E tips. Of course it could well be my ears - being older I hear very little past 12-13Khz, so maybe I just don’t have recent experience with other IEMs demonstrating greater treble extension.

I will mention I was comparing the FDX1 with the Thieaudio Oracle, which it compares quite well with (again, old ears and all that) and asking myself why I had neglected the FDX1 for so long!
When you say it compares quite well you mean the sound signature is similar? Because I own the FDX1 and would like something with better bass.

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #1,333 of 1,383
Just listened to several mid to summit fi iems and the FDX1 holds up really well tonality wise, still really close to my ideal sound.

But, it has become glaringly obvious that its treble extension is lacking. Comparatively speaking it sounds rolled off and the sparkle and is barely present but i suppose thats expected when comparing 1DD to 6-10BA sets and Hybrid DD-BA-EST iems.

Has anyone heard any compelling upgrades to the FDX1 without breaking the bank?
At current prices this is really tough. I honestly can't think of an IEM under $200 that I'd prefer over the fdx1. I haven't heard the timeless, which is quite popular, and most likely a different sound entirely. For $300 or so I thought the blessing 2 dusk was overall a bit better. A lot of the moondrop offerings of similar price are great iems as well, but I didn't think, "Wow, so much better!". If anyone knows an IEM that beats the FDX1 handily in the same price range, let me know.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #1,334 of 1,383
When you say it compares quite well you mean the sound signature is similar? Because I own the FDX1 and would like something with better bass.
FDX1 signature definitely not the same as Oracle’s, but I made that comment because I was enjoying the FDX1 after just listening to my Oracles. In particular the bass is not as pronounced on the FDX1 as the Oracle.

Feb 2, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #1,335 of 1,383
Just listened to several mid to summit fi iems and the FDX1 holds up really well tonality wise, still really close to my ideal sound.

But, it has become glaringly obvious that its treble extension is lacking. Comparatively speaking it sounds rolled off and the sparkle and is barely present but i suppose thats expected when comparing 1DD to 6-10BA sets and Hybrid DD-BA-EST iems.

Has anyone heard any compelling upgrades to the FDX1 without breaking the bank?

The Unique Melody 3DT is a potential upgrade IMO, or maybe just a different flavor.
But this benefit does not come easy, there are several hurdles I had to overcome to get them to fit and sound as good as they can.

The 3DT is really big and I struggled finding tips that made it possible for me to wear them. @james444, the father of the FDX1 finally recommended Sennheiser Gel tips which solved it for me.
The Tuning is a little hot and the 3DT needs additional damping to tame the upper frequency and spikes. Most get some stick-on filters from Aliexpress.
Finally the cable is also holding the 3DT back, and needs upgrading.

The result is a very capable, more V-shaped thuning with a hint of brightness and spicyness in the upper mids and treble.
Compared to the FDX1 with it's more mid and mid bass focus I find the 3DT to be reduced in that lower midrange/mid bass region, giving it more separation and clarity in that sense, but less body. This also opens up the stage more. At the same time I think the FDX1 has a more refined texture and detail, it makes me think of a fine art B&W print (photo) with it's fine grain and rich gradations, but without the deepest blacks and brightest highlights. The 3DT "pops" more with higher contrast and more highlight sparkle, but has maybe slightly oversharpened detail.

So it's a recommentation with reservations. And it's maybe more of a sidegrade than upgrade.

The Moondrop Blessing 2 left me disappointed. It's been a while since I sold it, but the bottomline was that while it sounded clean and had good detail and tuning, it sounded grainy sometimes and I simply didn't find it as engaging and musical as the FDX1. The Moondrop Variations is a significant improvement, but the tuning is rather radical with massive sub bass and a somewhat thin upper bass and lower midrange. So IMO these are also not really straight upgrades to the FDX1.

Not sure if that helps much, but the FDX1 is good and I can't think of a straight upgrade, let alone in a similar price range...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back