Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Mar 6, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #1,352 of 1,383
I have a question for all FDX1 owners. How many of you got the FDX1 from the first (or maybe second) drop when it was first announced in late 2019? The reason I ask is because I decided to pick up another pair earlier this year, and it seems like the metal body is not as smooth as my original FDX1s. Both earpieces feel pretty rough in texture and also are not as shiny (see below pictures, newer one is darker grey). I also notice slightly more microphonics in the newer pair within the housing when I adjust in my ears. They do sound exactly the same, so this is just more of a curiosity than anything. Actually if anything, the newer pair rotates smoother and the nozzle pin is more secure. Maybe JVC used to polish the FDX1 before and for whatever reason stopped doing that afterwards?

Anyway regardless, I'm now trying the new Moondrop Spring tips with them, and they sound the best I have heard. Also better fit for me over the Spiral Dot tips.

Just got the spring tips myself and damn they are comfy. The disappear into your ears even better than the spiral dots which were already very comfortable. In addition, they sound clearer and somewhat refine the treble as well.

Highly reccomend the tips.
It’s not necessary because they are interchangeable. Since the nozzles rotate, you can make the left one the right, and vice versa.
I've taped mine down to stop them from rotating. Its easier to wear them that way and i can always tell left from right without needing to look at the cables.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I just managed to demo the 7hz Timeless and I really liked them. They have more bass in general and have better controlled bass than the FDX1, are just a touch clearer and crispier while having much better extension on the top end. I've read reviews saying that it has a "soft" presentation but that was not my experience at all with the timeless.

The sound profile is similar this EQ config on the middle damped nozzle on the FDX1 if you want a taste. Bearing in mind the 7hz will have a crispier tone, better control of the rumble and slightly more air still.

32hz +5db
64hz +3db
125hz +1db
10khz +4db
16khz +5db

The disadvantage is that the timeless only comes with a 4.4mm cable so some of you might need to get another cable for it. Size wise its bigger than the FDX1 but if you can tolerate the fit of the FDX1 you will be able to tolerate the Timeless. Power requirements wise they are almost exactly the same.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,353 of 1,383
Edit:
I forgot to mention that I just managed to demo the 7hz Timeless and I really liked them. They have more bass in general and have better controlled bass than the FDX1, are just a touch clearer and crispier while having much better extension on the top end. I've read reviews saying that it has a "soft" presentation but that was not my experience at all with the timeless.

The sound profile is similar this EQ config on the middle damped nozzle on the FDX1 if you want a taste. Bearing in mind the 7hz will have a crispier tone, better control of the rumble and slightly more air still.

32hz +5db
64hz +3db
125hz +1db
10khz +4db
16khz +5db

The disadvantage is that the timeless only comes with a 4.4mm cable so some of you might need to get another cable for it. Size wise its bigger than the FDX1 but if you can tolerate the fit of the FDX1 you will be able to tolerate the Timeless. Power requirements wise they are almost exactly the same.
That’s great to hear your positive thoughts on the Timeless, I want to try them soon. I already thought the bass was very clean and controlled on the FDX1. That supposed soft presentation was the only thing keeping me from trying it, and I use EQ a lot so the other complaints about sibilance and planar timbre probably won’t be an issue for me.

I’m also getting the Moondrop Kato soon, so it’ll be interesting to see what it does better or worse than the FDX1.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #1,354 of 1,383
That’s great to hear your positive thoughts on the Timeless, I want to try them soon. I already thought the bass was very clean and controlled on the FDX1. That supposed soft presentation was the only thing keeping me from trying it, and I use EQ a lot so the other complaints about sibilance and planar timbre probably won’t be an issue for me.

I’m also getting the Moondrop Kato soon, so it’ll be interesting to see what it does better or worse than the FDX1.
Tried the kato, preferred the fdx1 but its more of a side grade honestly

Apr 2, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #1,355 of 1,383
I have a question for all FDX1 owners. How many of you got the FDX1 from the first (or maybe second) drop when it was first announced in late 2019? The reason I ask is because I decided to pick up another pair earlier this year, and it seems like the metal body is not as smooth as my original FDX1s. Both earpieces feel pretty rough in texture and also are not as shiny (see below pictures, newer one is darker grey). I also notice slightly more microphonics in the newer pair within the housing when I adjust in my ears. They do sound exactly the same, so this is just more of a curiosity than anything. Actually if anything, the newer pair rotates smoother and the nozzle pin is more secure. Maybe JVC used to polish the FDX1 before and for whatever reason stopped doing that afterwards?

Anyway regardless, I'm now trying the new Moondrop Spring tips with them, and they sound the best I have heard. Also better fit for me over the Spiral Dot tips.

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg
I agree with the rotational mechanism of the iem. I have had a total of three ( two older units and one new) It seems as though it is not as smooth the older ones I have had. Maybe it will smooth over time. However the sounds makes it a phenomenal analytical iem. Ended up keeping it in my collection alongside the Sony n3, blons bl-03, kinera nanna v2, fearless s8, mele hbb and timeless 7hz.

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #1,356 of 1,383
I keep hearing how good the resolving ability of the FDX1 is, especially given it's a single DD set so I finally got one second hand (From another head.fi member.)

Seems like Drop discontinued the FDX1 a few months ago, I think the FDX1 will be on the same boat as the Sony MDR-EX1000 and EX800ST: one of those rare IEMs that will still be viable even after a decade. (The Blessing 2 and Oxygen are also contenders for this legacy too.)

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #1,357 of 1,383
I keep hearing how good the resolving ability of the FDX1 is, especially given it's a single DD set so I finally got one second hand (From another head.fi member.)

Seems like Drop discontinued the FDX1 a few months ago, I think the FDX1 will be on the same boat as the Sony MDR-EX1000 and EX800ST: one of those rare IEMs that will still be viable even after a decade. (The Blessing 2 and Oxygen are also contenders for this legacy too.)
Listening to mine right now with a Fiio KA3. Really good for Jazz. Check out Ava Rovatti!

Apr 11, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #1,358 of 1,383

Well, interested people can still buy the FD01 and DIY the mod. It's neither hard to find the modding instructions, nor to perform the mod yourself.

Apr 11, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #1,359 of 1,383
Got mine today after a 2-day wait (Paid for priority shipping.)

Initial impressions:

- Well tuned with the 100% damp filter. (Naked filter is a bit shouty but usable, need to try the 50% damp filter.)
- Pretty resolving, especially given this is a single DD IEM.
- Average soundstage, layering and imaging.
- Timbre is on the metallic side, my biggest nitpick with the FDX1 (Reminds me of the Fiio FD5 and Meze Rai Solo in this regard which have metallic timbre.)

I don't think these will replace the Moondrop Starfield as my current favorite IEM, the FDX1 is a bit too sterile for my own tastes, though there is nothing objectively wrong with the FDX1 at all, it does a lot more good than bad.

Worth tracking down? I'd say yeah. The FDX1 is a good IEM but not something I would recommend to people looking for a lush sounding or fun IEM.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,360 of 1,383

I sold the EX800ST and am just now letting go of the EX1000ST. I will definitely keep the FDX1.
The Sony's are unique with their 16mm DD, the bass authority (not necessarily quantity) is phenomenal.
With PEQ the EX1000 is really special, but I try to avoid EQ so it does not get much if any use.

The FDX1 with the medium @james444 mod is really well rounded IMO and I keep using and enjoying it next to my much more expensive IEMs and headphones.
One of the really big factors for me is comfort, the FDX1 with Moondrop Spring tips are really great.
Overall a perfect everyday IEM for me with the Chord Mojo.

Apr 17, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,361 of 1,383

You can still find the MDR-EX1000 in retail stores in Japan, it's just discontinued in the global market.

As for alternatives for the FDX1, I personally felt that the 7hz Timeless is a good replacement. Same great sound, same bad ergomics :p

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,362 of 1,383
Jun 29, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,363 of 1,383

FDX1 vs Olina​

OK, a little background. So, I’m a happy FDX1 owner for more than a year. It’s my favourite IEM, with a wonderful tonal and technical balance. Last year I was mostly expanding my headphone collection, so this year I reserved the funds for a little IEM exploration. For a long time I’ve heard nice things about Tanchjim Oxygen, so when I’ve heard about $99 Oxygen “clone” (Tripowin Olina), I’ve decided to take a chance. What was my expectations? Potential side grade. Less detail, more soundstage, more dynamic, better treble extension, slightly energetic upper midrange.

So let’s compare:

Tips and tuning​

1. Green filter and XS stock tips.
  2. Narrow bore S stock tips

Build and look​

1. FDX1 is small but heavy, with distinctive industrial look. Very nice.
  2. Olina is medium size and light, very beautiful with marble plate and shine, blue aluminum shell.
1 < 2
Olina wins it for me. Good build and really like the look.

Comfort​

1. Heavy. When walking prone to falling out and breaking the seal. Stock tips have bad grip.
  2. Good. Comfortable. Has some movement which needs readjustment.
1 < 2
Olina. With IEMs is the same as with headphones, the lighter, the better. Less fiddling with position.

Isolation​

1. Bad. Vented design. You hear the environment.
  2. Very bad. 2 vents per shell. Almost open back.
1 > 2
FDX1 wins it. Unfortunately, FDX1 isolation is bad, but Olina is new benchmark for bad isolation. As I’ve hear Oxygen is similar or worse, so at least I understand the design choice. However, this makes it almost unusable outside or in a noisy environment.

Tonality​

Bass​

1. Perfectly tuned. Detailed and controlled. Not much dynamics, though. Sub bass feels rolled off and unimpactful.
  2. Similarly tuned. Less detail and control. Kind of echoy, reveby sound. Somewhat subdued in the big picture. Very good punch and slam.
1 > 2
It’s a trade off between precision and tactility. Olina bass is much more fun and tactile. Sub bass is much better on Olina. FDX1 bass is better controlled and more clear and detailed. I’m torn on this, but to my surprise, I give the preference to FDX1.

Test tracks:
Chameleon - Trentemoller
Sadness - Enigma
They Just Haven’t Seen It - San Holo

Mids​

1. Perfect. Perfect lower midrange. Slightly recessed lower midrange. Clear and detailed midrange with no shoutines.
  2. Small recess at lower midrange, high energy at the upper. Clear and sparkly midrange, with a touch of shoutines.
1 > 2
What Olina gains in sparklines, loses in detail and fatigue, especially on higher volumes. Also energetic upper mids kind of negate Olina’s lower frequencies. FDX1 mids are more detailed and smooth. Olina’s more aggressive and rough.

Test tracks:
Crazy - Daniela Andrade
My Work - JFDR

Treble​

1. Very good. Small peak and recessed air.
  2. Excellent. Bigger peak and lower air peak.
1 < 2
Definitely better treble extension on Olina, with the price of a little rougher response.

Test tracks:
Red Light Zone - Colonia

Overall​

1 > 2

FDX1 has excellent tuning. Only nitpicks are non impactful sub bass and rolled off treble.
Olina has very good tuning. Energetic upper midrange limits you to medium volumes (not bad per se). Bass is dynamic and tactful but relatively uncontrolled and echoy, which influence the overall clarity. Also focus on the midrange kind of impedes bass perception. So there is kind of negative feedback, bass degrades mids, mids impedes bass. Treble is excellent.
Overall FDX1 is more smooth and enjoyable listen.

Technicalities​

Detail​

1. Excellent. Hard, fast transients. Fantastic clarity.
  2. Very good.
1 > 2
FDX1 is on another level. Olina is very good, but tier or two below FDX1.

Imaging​

1. Average soundstage. Precise imaging.
  2. Good. Sound stage is widest I’ve heard in IEM. However, still an IEM.
1 >= 2
Olina has biggest soundstage I’ve heard in IEM. This is Olina’s forte. Imaging seems better on the FDX1. Maybe product of it’s clarity. Despite of it, I remain somewhat unimpressed with Olina’s soundstage as it stays squarely in IEM territory. However, I am impressed with FDX1 imaging, so my slight preference goes to it.

Dynamics​

1. Flat. Average.
  2. Very good. Bass punch is excellent.
1 < 2
Olina is more dynamic IEM. FDX1 is somewhat dynamically constrained.

Overall​

1 > 2

Despite Olina’s nice soundstage and dynamic sound, I think that clarity, resolution and imaging are on the FDX1 side. It is a technically better IEM.

Value​

1. worth the blind (at $200) (seems unavailable this moment)
  2. redefines the price bracket
1 > 2
At 1/2 of FDX1 price (1/3 in my case, with transport and import duties), Olina is very competitive and maybe the best IEM at $100 bracket. However, FDX1 (if available at $200) is probably the best single DD under $700.

Overall​

FDX1
Pros: resolution, tuning (with green nozzle), design
Cons: heavy, isolation, sub bass, treble extension

Olina
Pros: really big soundstage, great punch n’ slam, comfortable build, great looks
Cons: abysmal isolation, which makes it unusable in the noisy environments, hot upper mids. Hot upper mids would be manageable on medium volume, but with low isolation this makes them unusable outside

Olina is very nice for the price, maybe even the best in the price bracket. Detail is with the best is the price bracket, probably behind ER2XR.
So did it meet expectations?
Less detail? Yes.
More soundstage? Yes.
More dynamic? Yes.
Better treble extension? Yes.
Slightly energetic upper midrange? Yes.

Side grade? Eh? Well, now we enter deeply in the field of personal preferences. FDX1 is problematic outside, Olina is borderline unusable. But, disregarding that, are the technical trades off worth it? Well, for me… no. What I did conclude, is that I prefer detail retrieval and imaging to IEM soundstage and even dynamics. Bounded with great tuning, it makes FDX1 easy preference. However, for those who find FDX1 clinical, lacking sparkle, sub bass or dynamics, Olina might be a good choice, especially for the price. Take in the account that it is not usable in noisy environments.

All in all, Olina is an interesting IEM and this experience made me appreciate more FDX1 and made me more aware why I love them and also see some minor nitpicks I didn’t noticed before.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #1,364 of 1,383
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I purchased a ha-fdx1 on eBay after accidentally breaking my original fd01’s, after many years.

Long story short the sound seems off, and is not like my old fd01’s sound. This sound is a little more harsh, less detailed, not as warm and with a diminutive sound stage, plus less sub bass.

When I removed the nozzle’s to change it, I noticed the driver looks different. The driver in my fd01 looks like all the pictures online and ironically just like on DROP’s website. This new driver is smaller, not projecting at an angle like my original fd01 and has a ring stamped around the audio hole in the center of the driver. It’s looks very different to any picture of the fd01/fdx1 driver that Ive seen online. It almost has a chrome finish to it, and again has recessed stamped ring around the hole, where as the original has smooth metal leading up to the audio hole in the center.

I would upload a picture but I don’t know how.

Do you think it may be fake?

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #1,365 of 1,383
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I purchased a ha-fdx1 on eBay after accidentally breaking my original fd01’s, after many years.

Long story short the sound seems off, and is not like my old fd01’s sound. This sound is a little more harsh, less detailed, not as warm and with a diminutive sound stage, plus less sub bass.

When I removed the nozzle’s to change it, I noticed the driver looks different. The driver in my fd01 looks like all the pictures online and ironically just like on DROP’s website. This new driver is smaller, not projecting at an angle like my original fd01 and has a ring stamped around the audio hole in the center of the driver. It’s looks very different to any picture of the fd01/fdx1 driver that Ive seen online. It almost has a chrome finish to it, and again has recessed stamped ring around the hole, where as the original has smooth metal leading up to the audio hole in the center.

I would upload a picture but I don’t know how.

Do you think it may be fake?
Issue aside….your user name is top notch.
Please upload some pics to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back