Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Oct 15, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #992 of 1,383
Hi guys, anyone here try Xelastec tips with FDX1 the Xelastec seems to be more comfortable and isolation than the stock tip. But how they affect the sound? Do they make FDX1 sound better than Spiral?

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #993 of 1,383
I found the sound signature of the Xelastec to be similar to the spiral dots if you are able to get a good seal with both. The softer compound of the Sednas can help improve the seal and bass of the fdx1, but they are not as supportive to the weight of the JVC and they tend to move more. I ended up going back to the spiral dot which has become my go to for most of my iems.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #994 of 1,383
I found the sound signature of the Xelastec to be similar to the spiral dots if you are able to get a good seal with both. The softer compound of the Sednas can help improve the seal and bass of the fdx1, but they are not as supportive to the weight of the JVC and they tend to move more. I ended up going back to the spiral dot which has become my go to for most of my iems.
Thanks, how about the Spiral Dot ++, is it better than the stock tips come with FDX1? Have you tried the ++ ?

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #996 of 1,383
Guys, I saw some videos of the FDX1 and I've noticed that the FDX1s don't come seal-packed from the manufacturer. Is this true? Like, none of the components come seal-packed. How would you tell them apart from a used or re-furbished version then?

Also, one more question: Do the nozzles on these have a protective grill inside or are they just hollow?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #997 of 1,383
Guys, I saw some videos of the FDX1 and I've noticed that the FDX1s don't come seal-packed from the manufacturer. Is this true? Like, none of the components come seal-packed. How would you tell them apart from a used or re-furbished version then?

Also, one more question: Do the nozzles on these have a protective grill inside or are they just hollow?
1) No, they do not come sealed, but each piece of the IEMs comes in independent plastic bags (not sealed either tho).
2) Yes, they do, they have a grill.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #998 of 1,383
1) No, they do not come sealed, but each piece of the IEMs comes in independent plastic bags (not sealed either tho).
2) Yes, they do, they have a grill.
Thanks so much for replying!

So how can I be sure I'm not getting refurbished or used if I'm ordering them from Amazon? That's so sad. Really skeptical right now.
And if they have a grill, then I'm right to assume that they're safe from any earwax or anything else entering into the housings?

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #999 of 1,383
Thanks so much for replying!

So how can I be sure I'm not getting refurbished or used if I'm ordering them from Amazon? That's so sad. Really skeptical right now.
And if they have a grill, then I'm right to assume that they're safe from any earwax or anything else entering into the housings?
To be sure you should order from Drop. Actually, i think Amazon still fine, if your product sounds well, there is nothing to worry.
The filters have grills so it's safe from earwax and dust. Anw, when switching filters, you'd better do it as quick as possible, don't leave the earphone open for too long.
Anw, after listening to FDX1 for about a month, compared to AKG N40, i can say JVC FDX1 (with most damping filter) is way better than N40 in term of details, especially in bass - midbass. In some fast tracks, double kick drum, JVC makes it clear, more transparent that AKG, sometimes i believe N40's muddle/muffled in midbass, when double kick and guitar bass play at the same time. Both of them almost the same in high-mid (from about 2khz to 6khz), they both sound clear, no harshness but the JVC is kinda better, it sounds crisp and sharp, edge out the N40 which is smoother, softer. That makes lead guitar more excited, strings more lively, brass more define. Vocal is the same between them, neither forward nor recessed. N40 has a little bit more quantity in upper treble, while FDX1 has better layers for percussion (cymbals are not behind other instruments or pushing too much). At the end, N40 sounds warmer while FDX1 is neutral, FDX1 sounds significantly better from midbass to sub bass, clear and detail.
Mention that, my N40 has a better cable (6N OCC silver plated) and JVC still comes with stock cable. I am waiting a 7N OCC silver plated from Satin Audio to pair with FDX1, lets see how much it improves.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #1,000 of 1,383
To be sure you should order from Drop. Actually, i think Amazon still fine, if your product sounds well, there is nothing to worry.
The filters have grills so it's safe from earwax and dust. Anw, when switching filters, you'd better do it as quick as possible, don't leave the earphone open for too long.
Anw, after listening to FDX1 for about a month, compared to AKG N40, i can say JVC FDX1 (with most damping filter) is way better than N40 in term of details, especially in bass - midbass. In some fast tracks, double kick drum, JVC makes it clear, more transparent that AKG, sometimes i believe N40's muddle/muffled in midbass, when double kick and guitar bass play at the same time. Both of them almost the same in high-mid (from about 2khz to 6khz), they both sound clear, no harshness but the JVC is kinda better, it sounds crisp and sharp, edge out the N40 which is smoother, softer. That makes lead guitar more excited, strings more lively, brass more define. Vocal is the same between them, neither forward nor recessed. N40 has a little bit more quantity in upper treble, while FDX1 has better layers for percussion (cymbals are not behind other instruments or pushing too much). At the end, N40 sounds warmer while FDX1 is neutral, FDX1 sounds significantly better from midbass to sub bass, clear and detail.
Mention that, my N40 has a better cable (6N OCC silver plated) and JVC still comes with stock cable. I am waiting a 7N OCC silver plated from Satin Audio to pair with FDX1, lets see how much it improves.
Thanks for your reassuring words. xD
I can only get them from Amazon since I'm getting someone to order for me and they can only do Amazon. I guess Amazon can be trusted?
And it's great to know that they have that grill. Phew.

I don't have an N40 but thanks for that comparison too! :D

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,001 of 1,383
Thanks for your reassuring words. xD
I can only get them from Amazon since I'm getting someone to order for me and they can only do Amazon. I guess Amazon can be trusted?
And it's great to know that they have that grill. Phew.

I don't have an N40 but thanks for that comparison too! :D
Amazon also has good return policy in case you find something iffy about the product

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #1,002 of 1,383
I just switched from an 8 core silver cable to a UPOCC copper cable and so far its the best pairing I've heard.

20201015_152436.jpg

Highs are surprisingly similar vs the pure silver cable, just a hint less bright. But it gives the lower registers more body and power which makes it sound a lot more fleshed out which being much more transparent than the stock cable and just a little behind the 8 core silver one.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #1,003 of 1,383
I just switched from an 8 core silver cable to a UPOCC copper cable and so far its the best pairing I've heard.

20201015_152436.jpg

Highs are surprisingly similar vs the pure silver cable, just a hint less bright. But it gives the lower registers more body and power which makes it sound a lot more fleshed out which being much more transparent than the stock cable and just a little behind the 8 core silver one.
Thank for your impression about UPOCC cable, it looks really nice too. Though i'm not a cable believer but i agree with you that stock cable does not sound good as occ / upocc cable in term of transparency (tried 6N occ silver plated and 7N cooper). Stock cable is still decent but the JVC can gain up with better cables.
Btw, where did you buy UPOCC cable? How much it cost?

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,004 of 1,383
Thank for your impression about UPOCC cable, it looks really nice too. Though i'm not a cable believer but i agree with you that stock cable does not sound good as occ / upocc cable in term of transparency (tried 6N occ silver plated and 7N cooper). Stock cable is still decent but the JVC can gain up with better cables.
Its a 90 dollar cable from aliexpress but I got it for $38.99

I can pm you the link if you're interested. Its a banned seller apparently.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #1,005 of 1,383

This one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Users who are viewing this thread

Back