Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Sep 23, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #976 of 1,383
Guys, are these IEMs good with any source, even phones or do they require specific types of sources?

Also, how’s the isolation on these? Would they isolate well in a bus?
Isolation depends on the tip and how deep you are willing to put them in. Once properly sealed they do isloate well. Never used them in bus so not sure how effective but for home condition they are pretty good.
It would pair well with source that has some mid bass bump or are little thick sounding. Imaging and layering is very nice with these earbuds.
I'm using it with Sony zx300 with little EQ or chord Mojo. Mojo has that mid bass bump and along with Dunu hulk cable I get some weight in the vocals.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #977 of 1,383
Wow....Had such a nice experience listening to "Tea For The Tillerman" with JVC and Mojo. These are the moments that we pay money for.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #978 of 1,383
Guys, are these IEMs good with any source, even phones or do they require specific types of sources?

They sound good from phones, their smooth characteristic is preserved and can help to smoothe over some digital harshness that might be coming from the phone.
Bass control might suffer a little but is still good IMO.

Isolation is relatively low, but I actually like that in traffic since is allows to remain aware of the environment.
If you want to block out the environment you'll have to look elsewhere.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #979 of 1,383
Thanks for the replies!

I would be pairing them with a Shanling M0 or my iPhone 7 if I do get them. Would that be ok then? I just want them to sound true to their capabilities.

I really wish they were better at isolation, though. But you say they’re not. Hmm..

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #980 of 1,383
Listening to them from my iPhone SE they sound good, but the iPhone of course can't keep up even remotely with a good DAC/Amp like the Mojo.
The good thing is the JVC sound good with the phone but scale well with a better source.

Regarding isolation, it also depends on the volume you are listening to. At a low volume I can clearly hear myself typing on a (loud) keyboard.
At moderately high volume I can't hear the keyboard any more but I hear the klinking of glasses.
But that's the same with my other vented IEMs. You'd have to get a fully sealed all BA IEM or the Etymotic series with their deep insertion design - something I would not want to stick into my ears, personally.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #981 of 1,383
I use them from a Macbook Air and the Apple dongle for iPhone. I can hear slight differences but it's not like the iPhone can't drive them. Both require very low volume so apparently, both can drive them very easily. I would guess a better source would sound a bit better but it's not required. Sounds absolutely fantastic to me with these basic sources :) .

Like with most IEMs, it depends on the tips. I have custom silicone tips and it isolates wonderfully. The included Spiral Dots don't isolate much. Some foams would be better for a bus. Overall, these IEMs don't isolate well, unless you go the custom route.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #982 of 1,383

They should be good with any source, however, in my case, I notice that my iBasso DX150 with Amp8 is the best one I have due to the power of the Amp8.

Isolation is not ideal for a bus IMO, these are best when you are focusing on the music, they are not bad though for isolation, just not ideal. They are outstanding for everything else.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #983 of 1,383
Isolation is not ideal for a bus IMO, these are best when you are focusing on the music, they are not bad though.
You have hit the nail on head....these are great to be pulled deep down in music and focus. It's so easy to focus each in trent in the mix. Not great for listening while doing chores

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #984 of 1,383
Thanks for the replies!

I would be pairing them with a Shanling M0 or my iPhone 7 if I do get them. Would that be ok then? I just want them to sound true to their capabilities.

I really wish they were better at isolation, though. But you say they’re not. Hmm..
i have the M0, let me see how they sound with it and will let you know.

EDIT: Currently listening to DSOTM, "On the run" sounds pretty good (not as good as my DX158, but pretty good). The FDX1 are my favorite IEM's, to get something at the same level, you will need to spend at least twice the price (at least). I think (in my humble opinion) that the weaker link in your setup is going to be the M0, it is fantastic for what it is, but I would recommend updating your DAP to get the best from the FDX1's. (do not sell the M0, it is still a fantastic DAP)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #985 of 1,383
Thanks for the replies!

What are you looking for in an IEM? What general sound signature and what genres of music? I agree that isolation isn’t particularly good with this IEM.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #986 of 1,383
Isolation is relatively low, but I actually like that in traffic since is allows to remain aware of the environment.

That's something worth taking into account for sure. A while ago I relied on my CIEMs and had several sketchy situations due to sound isolation. One in particular was the reason why I stopped listening to music when I'm on my bike :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #987 of 1,383
Thanks for the replies guys!

What are you looking for in an IEM? What general sound signature and what genres of music? I agree that isolation isn’t particularly good with this IEM.
I just want something good in a $300 budget but I also want good build quality, good comfort and good isolation. Genres would be rock, alternative, rap, EDM and instrumentals. Right now I have an iBasso IT01.

i have the M0, let me see how they sound with it and will let you know.

EDIT: Currently listening to DSOTM, "On the run" sounds pretty good (not as good as my DX158, but pretty good). The FDX1 are my favorite IEM's, to get something at the same level, you will need to spend at least twice the price (at least). I think (in my humble opinion) that the weaker link in your setup is going to be the M0, it is fantastic for what it is, but I would recommend updating your DAP to get the best from the FDX1's. (do not sell the M0, it is still a fantastic DAP)

But talking about the natural sound that comes out of these without any enhancements that DAPs have of their own, will the Shanling M0 be able to reproduce that fine?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #988 of 1,383

I don't think they're a good choice directly from (most) cell phones, and isolation is actually pretty poor compared to most of my other IEMs. I don't think they'd be suitable for commuting.

E: oops, should've refreshed, others had replied already

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #989 of 1,383
Thanks for the replies guys!

I just want something good in a $300 budget but I also want good build quality, good comfort and good isolation. Genres would be rock, alternative, rap, EDM and instrumentals. Right now I have an iBasso IT01.

But talking about the natural sound that comes out of these without any enhancements that DAPs have of their own, will the Shanling M0 be able to reproduce that fine?

Yes, they should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back