Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 19, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #691 of 1,383
6kHz is usually problematic for me. 8kHz is fine.
If you are fine with elevated upper mids 2-4(5)kHz you should be ok with these.
I find their treble very clean and smooth with hardly any audible peaks or valleys when doing a frequency sweep.
They have good shimmer and energy but for me they are never harsh.

May 19, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #693 of 1,383
has anyone used zeiss lens cleaning wipe vs the 2 ply alcohol swab?

With the pandemic, the alcohol swab is nearly impossible to find locally, hate to order a whole bunch on amazon, and I have some zeiss lens cleaning wipe at home.
That‘s exactly what I used, though ultimately in a different capacity. The Zeiss lens wipes are made of a more paper-like material, vs more of a cotton-like material of most alcohol wipes, but I would just use the lens wipes for now. My 2c.

Never mind, I didn‘t read the latests posts. :face_palm:

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #694 of 1,383
H T T said: 6kHz is usually problematic for me. 8kHz is fine.

If you are fine with elevated upper mids 2-4(5)kHz you should be ok with these.
I find their treble very clean and smooth with hardly any audible peaks or valleys when doing a frequency sweep.
They have good shimmer and energy but for me they are never harsh.

I fully agree.

6KHz is not a problem frequency.

May 19, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #695 of 1,383
That‘s exactly what I used, though ultimately in a different capacity. The Zeiss lens wipes are made of a more paper-like material, vs more of a cotton-like material of most alcohol wipes, but I would just use the lens wipes for now. My 2c.

Never mind, I didn‘t read the latests posts. :face_palm:

is there any reason for you to use the zeiss lens wipe instead of the alcohol wipe?

May 19, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #696 of 1,383
It is fun to play around w/ various materials & lengths etc..., might even find something that suits your ears better, but I have found diverging from recommended material started causing scoop-outs at various frequencies & not really reflective of the mod's potential- for me the "good" materials (currently using some random wipe) ended up being the ones that sounded most similar. So I think if you can get the correct swabs it's best to start there as a baseline and then experiment.

Surfgeorge shared a 3M micropore tape mod with FD02 though personally haven't tried it https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15455206

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #697 of 1,383
is there any reason for you to use the zeiss lens wipe instead of the alcohol wipe?
Not for lining the nozzles. You just happened to mention the exact material that I used. I did try it for lining the nozzles, but it didn‘t work well. I ended up using it by cutting a small disc of the material, and covering the nozzle with it, akin to the MP tape mod. I poked one hole in the center.

May 19, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #698 of 1,383
Not for lining the nozzles. You just happened to mention the exact material that I used. I did try it for lining the nozzles, but it didn‘t work well. I ended up using it by cutting a small disc of the material, and covering the nozzle with it, akin to the MP tape mod. I poked one hole in the center.

got it..

do you still use the lining for the nozzles, or just cover the nozzle only?

May 19, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #699 of 1,383
got it..

do you still use the lining for the nozzles, or just cover the nozzle only?
I just use it to cover the nozzle, and ultimately found I like it best with the bare nozzle. It seems to tame the upper mids enough w/o attenuating the treble too much. That’s what I perceive at least,
FAB8B3B3-3DA9-4DD0-9220-1D588A6B2238.jpeg

May 19, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #700 of 1,383
I just use it to cover the nozzle, and ultimately found I like it best with the bare nozzle. It seems to tame the upper mids enough w/o attenuating the treble too much. That’s what I perceive at least,
FAB8B3B3-3DA9-4DD0-9220-1D588A6B2238.jpeg

thanks for the picture.

I will give it a go on the bare nozzle when mine arrive.

is that just a single layer of the lens cleaner? or multiple layers?

May 19, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #701 of 1,383
thanks for the picture.

I will give it a go on the bare nozzle when mine arrive.

is that just a single layer of the lens cleaner? or multiple layers?
I actually used two layers, by cutting out the disc right at a fold, but you can perhaps try with two layers, then remove one if not to your taste. I traced the nozzle tip, and cut out the disc with scissors, but I imagine using a leather hole puncher (with different sizes) would work well.

May 20, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #705 of 1,383
Could somebody please tell me the exact dimension of HA-FDX1's nozzles? Am trying to select a new tips order, natch..

I measured 5.5mm at the very end of the nozzle. It gets slightly wider around the lip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back