Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 10, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #631 of 1,383
To me the damping material in the FDX1 looks like cotton.

May 10, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #633 of 1,383
Did anyone ever figure that out? AFAIK it's still mystery JVC material.

I'd caution about the FW01- hard to recommend, unless you are after its particular peculiar sound signature, especially if you have the FD01.
The thicker FD01 mod and eq in some midbass you're not too far away (or arguably better off- I dont' personally care for thicker mod, but then I don't like FW01 either*) I'm not sure the wood is contributing much but haven't done a close comparison.

(*for me FW01 is a jekyll & hyde IEM- there are some pleasant qualities to it, the bass has a nice feel- for low volume listening it can be an enjoyable & dark sound, the next moment it's a weird combo of blunt but shrill, undetailed and claustrophobic- remember the fx850 fondly but perhaps through rose tinted ears)

Thanks, will play with the fd01 for a little bit first then to decide.

May 11, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #634 of 1,383
Anyone tipped FDX1 with dekoni bullets? What sound changes are noted or to be expected compared to spiral dots (typical version, not type came with FDX1)? Thanks
I actually got a pair of bullets with my FDX1 and gave them a whirl. Same changes you'd expect with any foam VS silicone situation. Rolled off upper treble, which might be good or bad depending on your ears, and it improved their isolation/fit (though the latter isn't much better than my hybrids). I expect you'll lose some bass response switching to the dekonis as well, but that's something I didn't really pay attention to. I immediately felt they killed the treble and quit listening.

May 12, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #635 of 1,383
Hello ..can someone tell me if the HA-FDX1 housings have L & R markings hidden on them somewhere? Cos I sure cannot see any, nor can I in any photographs of them! There are on the cable connectors, so maybe they are colour coded to correspond to correct earpieces? If so, I don't see that either! Can ayone help?

May 12, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #636 of 1,383
Hello ..can someone tell me if the HA-FDX1 housings have L & R markings hidden on them somewhere? Cos I sure cannot see any, nor can I in any photographs of them! There are on the cable connectors, so maybe they are colour coded to correspond to correct earpieces? If so, I don't see that either! Can ayone help?
The housings are identical and interchangeable, therefore markings are unnecessary. Use the markings on the cables to determine L & R.

May 12, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #637 of 1,383
Rotating nozzles... left is right and right is left... there is no difference :wink:

May 12, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #638 of 1,383
The housings are identical and interchangeable, therefore markings are unnecessary. Use the markings on the cables to determine L & R.
Okaaay... Got that. Thankyou for prompt response.. Will fearlessly proceed then... Can't quite believe i scored a set of these from right here in lil' ole New Zealand! Dude said he was selling cos his ears proved to be too small for 'em, and that's ALL he said..

May 12, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #640 of 1,383
Okaaay... Got that. Thankyou for prompt response.. Will fearlessly proceed then... Can't quite believe i scored a set of these from right here in lil' ole New Zealand! Dude said he was selling cos his ears proved to be too small for 'em, and that's ALL he said..
That is lucky! These, like most IEMs (for me at least) need some effort to get a good fit.
The included Spiral Dots are actually really good tips, and for me it worked best to seat them in the concha rather than trying to fit them into the ear canal.
The FDX1 is missing the size ML though, and that was just what I needed. If you do too, they can be bought through Amazon.JP

May 12, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #641 of 1,383
That is lucky! These, like most IEMs (for me at least) need some effort to get a good fit.
The included Spiral Dots are actually really good tips, and for me it worked best to seat them in the concha rather than trying to fit them into the ear canal.
The FDX1 is missing the size ML though, and that was just what I needed. If you do too, they can be bought through Amazon.JP
Well i immediately fitted mine with Final E Series Large, having it seems, insatiably cavernous canals...i'll have to reacquaint myself with ear anatomy to appreciate your meaning there... Meanwhile these things are sounding astonishingly vivid and 'pure' somehow. ..that's the first word that came to mind. I wonder which of the filters will give me most sub bass, though? Unfortunately i don't think they are gonna help with 'forgiving' the wretched recording artifacts that curse something like.. eighty percent of the music i love best...? It's like the better one's IEMs get, the more shockingly 'magnified' are those painfully bad recordings... (And as 'recovering rock critic" type, haha. I have damn serious taste!) Is there any more crazy of a conundrum one can come up against than this?

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #642 of 1,383
Well i immediately fitted mine with Final E Series Large, having it seems, insatiably cavernous canals...i'll have to reacquaint myself with ear anatomy to appreciate your meaning there... Meanwhile these things are sounding astonishingly vivid and 'pure' somehow. ..that's the first word that came to mind. I wonder which of the filters will give me most sub bass, though? Unfortunately i don't think they are gonna help with 'forgiving' the wretched recording artifacts that curse something like.. eighty percent of the music i love best...? It's like the better one's IEMs get, the more shockingly 'magnified' are those painfully bad recordings... (And as 'recovering rock critic" type, haha. I have damn serious taste!) Is there any more crazy of a conundrum one can come up against than this?

The most damped nozzles make the bass seem more prominent, but actually, using the Final E tips helps a lot with the bass. The damping helps lessen the 4KHz upper midrange peak, but it also tames the treble quite a bit too, so you do lose some treble detail and “air”, which can be desirable for a lot of people. Enjoy, and play around with them a lot. Try different nozzle/tip combinations. It took me a few months before I found my ideal sound.

May 12, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #643 of 1,383
The most damped nozzles make the bass seem more prominent, but actually, using the Final E tips helps a lot with the bass. The damping helps lessen the 4KHz upper midrange peak, but it also tames the treble quite a bit too, so you do lose some treble detail and “air”, which can be desirable for a lot of people. Enjoy, and play around with them a lot. Try different nozzle/tip combinations. It took me a few months before I found my ideal sound.
Will certainly do! Just ordering some of those Misodiko Mix450 tips, the ones that have rubber/silicone exterior and foamy 'memory' interiors. Which gets me to wondering, of course, which of those two materials would most affect the sound?

May 12, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #644 of 1,383
Will certainly do! Just ordering some of those Misodiko Mix450 tips, the ones that have rubber/silicone exterior and foamy 'memory' interiors. Which gets me to wondering, of course, which of those two materials would most affect the sound?
My guess would be the outer material, so probably the silicone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back