Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #271 of 1,383
graph.png

Also wanted to share a comparison of FR for context since Crin has measured both.

They both have a lot in common but I just love the lows and sparkle from the Atlas. The JVC just has a bit too much energy from 1k to 4k for my listening taste unless. Cymbals are so intense and forward they get really distracting on some tracks. Just swapped filters and put on some Comply foamies and that helps a bit, but they're still pretty forward sounding.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #272 of 1,383
In my opinion, yeah. The Atlas is technically superior and has a sense of resolution and staging. It also comes with a nice silver litz cable, leather carrying case, and better spread of accessories. The Atlas is also built better and for me, is ergonomically comfier when wearing down.

That, and nothing delivers such a big, meaty sound like the Atlas while still keeping some air and sparkle up top. It's a smooth IEM, with a heaping dose of sub bass that will shake your eyeballs. No exaggeration. It honestly just sounds more balanced overall to the JVC that is tamer in the lows and more boosted in the upper mids and lower treble. The more I listen to them, the more it sticks out and bothers me. They're a bit too genre specific for me so far. The Atlas is pretty genre agnostic and surprisingly sounds great with classical and metal. I use mine daily so I'm sure being used to their sound is a big part of it, but comparing side by side to the JVC, the shortcomings of the new unit sticks out more as I just notice things I typically enjoy missing. Again, if I didn't have the Atlas, I'm sure I'd be just fine with the JVC. It's still a nice sounding unit, just brighter than I like and short on resolution and stage size.

So, for me, if you can swing the Atlas, it's the superior IEM. I still have not come. Across a DD IEM which beats them and makes me want to upgrade. They just do so many things right without nuisances.
Thanks for your explanation. But as simple as that, I would never fork out $1300 for an earphone...and the Atlas is described as bass, that is coloured. All Head-Fi reviews of the Atlas were done with freebies. Considering I get a spectacular headphone like the Sennheiser HD600 or HD6XX for $200-$300, I wait until the fantasy prices for some iems come down substantially. To cut a long story short, the JVCs are good enough for my iphone and Shanling and the even much cheaper KBEAR Diamond offer a great listening experience, too.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #273 of 1,383
Thanks for your explanation. But as simple as that, I would never fork out $1300 for an earphone...and the Atlas is described as bass, that is coloured. All Head-Fi reviews of the Atlas were done with freebies. Considering I get a spectacular headphone like the Sennheiser HD600 or HD6XX for $200-$300, I wait until the fantasy prices for some iems come down substantially. To cut a long story short, the JVCs are good enough for my iphone and Shanling and the even much cheaper KBEAR Diamond offer a great listening experience, too.
Yup, my FDX1's, HD600's and DM6's all under US $ 300 are doing it for me. $ 1300 for IEM's it is a no for me, I can spend that on something with more added value. Again, my humble opinion.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #274 of 1,383

Yup, fair points. The JVC as you said, is just good enough. Much like your mention of the 6XX. The Atlas is just the better IEM disregarding price from a technical perspective despite having more energy down low. The JVC is very Grado like, somewhat anemic bass and a bright signature. No other way around it, but you either love it or you don't. But, I know we all see value differently hence why some are ok with the 6XX family and others prefer the 800/s over the former and they have the cost to go with a premium TOTL item. The 800 is superior but many will be just fine with the 6XX and never miss a beat.

Always to each their own, but for once I can get an item in this hobby and not pine for another, then it's a home run in my book. The JVC doesn't fulfill me like the Atlas still does years later, in this regard. No matter how long I listen to the JVC, I have this inkling that I'd rather be listening to something else. They're just a bit too boring for my taste. Still, all my opinion of course.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #275 of 1,383

Also wanted to share a comparison of FR for context since Crin has measured both.

They both have a lot in common but I just love the lows and sparkle from the Atlas. The JVC just has a bit too much energy from 1k to 4k for my listening taste unless. Cymbals are so intense and forward they get really distracting on some tracks. Just swapped filters and put on some Comply foamies and that helps a bit, but they're still pretty forward sounding.

that comparison is a little misleading as it’s the empty nozzle with no damping. A more representative comparison would be with the nozzle with the most damping. And of course you could add your own damping to the empty nozzle for even more reduction.

5A8EF4F5-B46D-4733-8484-3F58FCBD4D45.png

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #276 of 1,383
that comparison is a little misleading as it’s the empty nozzle with no damping. A more representative comparison would be with the nozzle with the most damping. And of course you could add your own damping to the empty nozzle for even more reduction.

Wasn't trying to be misleading. I shared that since that's the default nozzle. I figured that would be most representative of their sound since it's their stock tuning compared to the stock tuning of the Atlas. Same reason I didn't touch on any mods as I can't attest to what else would change FR wise by adding material to deaden that area between 1k-4k hz more without murdering everything after it.

Again, just stating that these two have a lot in common FR wise but I still prefer the Atlas as my favorite DD IEM. Just a bit letdown after seeing all the hype behind this JVC as it just sounds pretty average to me considering it's infamy on the forums. It's not a bad IEM, just super average to my ears and personal taste. All of which I don't see getting any better with time.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #277 of 1,383
Wasn't trying to be misleading. I shared that since that's the default nozzle. I figured that would be most representative of their sound since it's their stock tuning compared to the stock tuning of the Atlas. Same reason I didn't touch on any mods as I can't attest to what else would change FR wise by adding material to deaden that area between 1k-4k hz more without murdering everything after it.

Again, just stating that these two have a lot in common FR wise but I still prefer the Atlas as my favorite DD IEM. Just a bit letdown after seeing all the hype behind this JVC as it just sounds pretty average to me considering it's infamy on the forums. It's not a bad IEM, just super average to my ears and personal taste. All of which I don't see getting any better with time.

Hi bro,

dang it, my JVC is still on it’s way. I nearly got all the more bass heavy iems (and still have them) from Aurisonics ASG2.5, JVC 850 and 1100, Sony EX90 Sennheiser ie80, every IMR ever made including the Rah (incoming) - still massively enjoy my custom UE11Pro but was really betting big on this JVC to be a massive step up. Guess I have to jump on the Atlas eventually, maybe as B-Stock for $850.... sigh...

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #278 of 1,383
Using the empty nozzle is basically comparing the FD01 to the Atlas. That’s not what the FDX1 is about.

The FDX1 is based on the @james444 mod of the FD01 and does a really good job of nailing it from the preproduction unit (my purchased set arrives tonight). The entire purpose for the existence of the FDX1 is to use the damped nozzles. With the less damped of the 2 FDX1 exclusive nozzles, the tuning should be relatively neutral with a natural tone and timbre. Those looking for much warmer and bassier tunings will indeed be disappointed. I thought most of us who reviewed the preproduction model did a pretty good job of relaying that; at least I thought so.

The purpose of the empty nozzle is to sample the FDX1 roots and hopefully inspire personal modding.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #279 of 1,383
Wasn't trying to be misleading. I shared that since that's the default nozzle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the empty nozzle is actually equivalent to the stock JVC FD01. The whole point of the FDX1 is to deliver a "production" mod version of the modded FD01. So it would make more sense to compare to anything but the empty nozzle.

That being said, I avoided jumping on the initial drop because I figured the tuning (even with mods) might not be to my taste for some of the reasons you cite, and it sounds like that might well be the case.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #280 of 1,383
Using the empty nozzle is basically comparing the FD01 to the Atlas. That’s not what the FDX1 is about.

The FDX1 is based on the @james444 mod of the FD01 and does a really good job of nailing it from the preproduction unit (my purchased set arrives tonight). The entire purpose for the existence of the FDX1 is to use the damped nozzles. With the less damped of the 2 FDX1 exclusive nozzles, the tuning should be relatively neutral with a natural tone and timbre. Those looking for much warmer and bassier tunings will indeed be disappointed. I thought most of us who reviewed the preproduction model did a pretty good job of relaying that; at least I thought so.

The purpose of the empty nozzle is to sample the FDX1 roots and hopefully inspire personal modding.

I get your points, but even in the manual is states the white nozzle as default. And even with mine, my filters were swapped from what is listed on Drop although I can physically see which has more material. So, for some of us that didn't follow the project super closely but are aware of the FD01 and it's legacy, and that's all I'm comparing it to.

Hell, it was Crin's review that pushed me over the edge as I feel like he was the only reviewer to really discuss their shortcomings. And even though he stated how lean they sound at one point, and then talks about their sub bass and rumble the next being good, I didn't think they'd sound so anemic until I actually got them. I don't think the JVC are bad, just underwhelming. I know many are going to love them, just unfortunately I am not one of those folks.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #281 of 1,383
I get your points, but even in the manual is states the white nozzle as default. And even with mine, my filters were swapped from what is listed on Drop although I can physically see which has more material. So, for some of us that didn't follow the project super closely but are aware of the FD01 and it's legacy, and that's all I'm comparing it to.

Hell, it was Crin's review that pushed me over the edge as I feel like he was the only reviewer to really discuss their shortcomings. And even though he stated how lean they sound at one point, and then talks about their sub bass and rumble the next being good, I didn't think they'd sound so anemic until I actually got them. I don't think the JVC are bad, just underwhelming. I know many are going to love them, just u fortunately I am not one of those folks.

In fairness, I dont really think the fdx1 sounds anemic unless you are comparing it directly to the atlas. I have been an atlas owner for a very long time, so switching to anything else has been... difficult at first as bass on almost everything else feels like its missing. My listening today with the fdx1 was with the green filter (most dampening) and its definitely a much more neutral or reference tuning than the atlas. But that was to be expected, even with the filters based on all the early reviews. So I would give atlas the edge overall, but its also a much different tuning regardless, so its kind of hard to compare them in my opinion. You say they are underwhelming, well I just think most things are compared to the atlas because the atlas is basically designed to be very overwhelming (in a good way).

Overall, I am pretty happy with the fdx1, but I agree its not as big or fun as the atlas. But thats definitely what I was expecting from all the reviews.

Also for others here talking about the price of the atlas, they are being sold new on campfires site right now (and have been for a few weeks at least) at $899, so they are significantly more affordable, though still definitely not cheap. And used pairs can be had for a good bit less than that.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #282 of 1,383
In fairness, I dont really think the fdx1 sounds anemic unless you are comparing it directly to the atlas. I have been an atlas owner for a very long time, so switching to anything else has been... difficult at first as bass on almost everything else feels like its missing. My listening today with the fdx1 was with the green filter (most dampening) and its definitely a much more neutral or reference tuning than the atlas. But that was to be expected, even with the filters based on all the early reviews. So I would give atlas the edge overall, but its also a much different tuning regardless, so its kind of hard to compare them in my opinion. You say they are underwhelming, well I just think most things are compared to the atlas because the atlas is basically designed to be very overwhelming (in a good way).

Overall, I am pretty happy with the fdx1, but I agree its not as big or fun as the atlas. But thats definitely what I was expecting from all the reviews.

Also for others here talking about the price of the atlas, they are being sold new on campfires site right now (and have been for a few weeks at least) at $899, so they are significantly more affordable, though still definitely not cheap. And used pairs can be had for a good bit less than that.

Yeah, I get that to an extent, but when a reviewer states that something has rumble, I expect some actually rumble. I'm the same way with headphones after owning a TH900. That's just my benchmark for good lows and nothing still doesn't come close to what they can do (despite their other faults).

I also found the Vega bassier than the Atlas, and I'm pretty sure the Polaris V2 is bassier than the Atlas also and my IMR Zenith is up there too. I mean yeah, the Atlas is bassy but it's not THAT bassy unless the song has gobs of sub bass then it's just stupid fun.

I dunno, after all the talk and nothing but 5 star reviews, I just expected something more is all. I still don't think the JVC is bad for the record, just a bit underwhelming. Even listening to the Lyra 2 and Pinnacle PX today with the JVC just confirms that more and more for me as I thought maybe I'm too adjusted to the Atlas. But even still, I'd take the PX over the JVC. I must just love a colored sound in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #283 of 1,383
Yeah, I get that to an extent, but when a reviewer states that something has rumble, I expect some actually rumble. I'm the same way with headphones after owning a TH900. That's just my benchmark for good lows and nothing still doesn't come close to what they can do (despite their other faults).

I also found the Vega bassier than the Atlas, and I'm pretty sure the Polaris V2 is bassier than the Atlas also and my IMR Zenith is up there too. I mean yeah, the Atlas is bassy but it's not THAT bassy unless the song has gobs of sub bass then it's just stupid fun.

I dunno, after all the talk and nothing but 5 star reviews, I just expected something more is all. I still don't think the JVC is bad for the record, just a bit underwhelming. Even listening to the Lyra 2 and Pinnacle PX today with the JVC just confirms that more and more for me as I thought maybe I'm too adjusted to the Atlas. But even still, I'd take the PX over the JVC. I must just love a colored sound in the grand scheme of things ‍♂️

Fair enough. You are absolutely entitled to not like them all that much if they arent doing it for you. And I am not trying to necessarily defend them. I just find the atlas comparison a bit of a stretch since these were never advertised in a way that would compete with them. So at least for me that have met my personal expectations. But yes, if the atlas is the benchmark, then I definitely agree with your viewpoints that they are anemic and a bit underwhelming. As for subbass and rumble, I guess I agree there. It does feel lacking, but again I am comparing that to the atlas (and also the ier z1r). Its still there, its just not the emphasis of these in any way.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #284 of 1,383
Yeah, I get that to an extent, but when a reviewer states that something has rumble, I expect some actually rumble

You think it's possible that it has rumble, but you didn't pick up on it because you're used to a different level of rumble to make your eyeballs shake?

I'll be able to chime in tomorrow night when I get mine. But based on graphs I do expect some rumble for sure.

Fair point about the upper mids and lower treble bite. I can see that in the graphs. And I can see that being too intense when coupled with a canal resonance for some folks.

The reviewers were more selling its natural timbre and tone. So it's not meant to overwhelm the senses but be natural.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #285 of 1,383
You think it's possible that it has rumble, but you didn't pick up on it because you're used to a different level of rumble to make your eyeballs shake?

I'll be able to chime in tomorrow night when I get mine. But based on graphs I do expect some rumble for sure.

Fair point about the upper mids and lower treble bite. I can see that in the graphs. And I can see that being too intense when coupled with a canal resonance for some folks.

The reviewers were more selling its natural timbre and tone. So it's not meant to overwhelm the senses but be natural.

My modded FD02 should be near identical to the FDX1, and you are right, natural timbre and tone are what this IEM does very well.
Honestly I don’t get where the expectation comes from that the FDX1 will be a bassy, let alone a basshead IEM. It’s got less bass than Harman target.
It can reach deep and produce some rumble, but the lowest octave is still a bit recessed IMO.
Start with the medium damping, get a good seal and listen to some vocals, jazz or classic.
Looking forward to more impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back