Drop + Dan Clark Audio AEON Open X - Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #46 of 101
I think it's mostly due to folks not having heard em, they were the Aeon Flow Open Retune before DCA launched the Re-Tune

Non the less if folks want to hear these PM me as I have a set that I'm happy to send out for week or so listens!
I keep forgetting about the RT models, which if I remember correctly, have the same price as the Drop model, right around $500??

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #47 of 101
I keep forgetting about the RT models, which if I remember correctly, have the same price as the Drop model, right around $500??

Yeap

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #50 of 101
Hello thread - I've just had a set of these delivered to me here in the UK. How on earth have these only sold 500 units, for the first time ever with a headphone I was speechless listening to these.

I'm coming off the back off Beyerdynamic T1.2, T5p.2, Amiron, DT 1990, 880 600ohm, Sennheiser HD660s, 650, 600, Audioquest Nighthawk, Hifiman Sundara, Fostex T60, etc. etc. I've owned all of those and more over the course of the last 12 months. I'm running a Schiit Jotunheim with a multibit DAC card, also fed by a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 (switch between the two DACS).

These headphones have just rendered the rest of my collection obsolete. They're incredible, and at $500 they're unbelievable value compared to many other headphones. I've always found planar a bit too aggressive, but these have just the right amount of smoothness for me. Ebay selling spree here I come.

Thank you Dan Clark!

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #51 of 101
Just got a pair of these in today. I'm running it on a MHDT Steeplechase dac and Schiit Lyr. This combination is quite simply breathtaking. I don't get people saying these things are boring. It's very punchy and fun sounding to me with great tonal balance.

One of the things I'm finding with these as opposed to my Sundaras, HD6XXs, HD600s, etc is they sound great and full even at moderate to lower volumes. It seems like I need to turn up my other cans a bit to get a full sound out of them. It's almost like these have a loudness function built into them lol. These are going to be great for my long-term hearing.

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #52 of 101
Just got a pair of these in today. I'm running it on a MHDT Steeplechase dac and Schiit Lyr. This combination is quite simply breathtaking. I don't get people saying these things are boring. It's very punchy and fun sounding to me with great tonal balance.

One of the things I'm finding with these as opposed to my Sundaras, HD6XXs, HD600s, etc is they sound great and full even at moderate to lower volumes. It seems like I need to turn up my other cans a bit to get a full sound out of them. It's almost like these have a loudness function built into them lol. These are going to be great for my long-term hearing.
They're definitely thicker sounding than many other headphones, but it makes them so easy to listen to, and very forgiving of poor recordings.

I have the Elex with me at the moment and I can't use it, it's so fatiguing.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #53 of 101
They're definitely thicker sounding than many other headphones, but it makes them so easy to listen to, and very forgiving of poor recordings.

I have the Elex with me at the moment and I can't use it, it's so fatiguing.
They really remind me of an improved HD650/6XX. They have similar timbre while being better in all categories to me except for maybe vocals (and they're not far off with vocals).

I'm glad to hear you say that about the Elex. They were on my short list of phones to try next along with the Aeon Flows, Anandas, and LCD-2s. I still may try the Anandas as I very much enjoy the Sundaras and the LCD-2s one day, but the Aeons are staying. They are keepers for sure.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #54 of 101
They really remind me of an improved HD650/6XX. They have similar timbre while being better in all categories to me except for maybe vocals (and they're not far off with vocals).

I'm glad to hear you say that about the Elex. They were on my short list of phones to try next along with the Aeon Flows, Anandas, and LCD-2s. I still may try the Anandas as I very much enjoy the Sundaras and the LCD-2s one day, but the Aeons are staying. They are keepers for sure.
I had the Ananda here last week, I had to return them as they arrived damaged sadly. But I'm probably going to buy them again after trying the Fostex TH909 and Focal Elex this week, the Ananda are a wonderful accompaniment to the Open X. The Open X being quite thiCk and syrupy, the Ananda being extremely light and airy. I did find the Ananda too bright to begin with, but they EQ better than any headphone I've ever experienced. They were absolutely magic after using the Oratory EQ. Without EQ they're still wonderful for listening to artists like Eric Clapton, but with EQ it allows you to listen to so many genres.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #56 of 101
I typically see the Aeon Flow Xs go for an average of $400-450 used. I paid $385 for mine.

I love them and can't say enough good things about them. They are the only cans I have that I can just put on and listen to all day long without any physical discomfort or listener fatigue. They are now my go to cans and quite frankly don't won't to put any other phone on my head.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #57 of 101
I typically see the Aeon Flow Xs go for an average of $400-450 used. I paid $385 for mine.

I love them and can't say enough good things about them. They are the only cans I have that I can just put on and listen to all day long without any physical discomfort or listener fatigue. They are now my go to cans and quite frankly don't won't to put any other phone on my head.

Do you think these are an upgrade to the Sundara on the technical aspect? I imagine the sound will be more syrup/thicker and the comfort better but I'm curious about technical abilities. I'm already planning on an upgrade for the Sundara.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #58 of 101
Do you think these are an upgrade to the Sundara on the technical aspect? I imagine the sound will be more syrup/thicker and the comfort better but I'm curious about technical abilities. I'm already planning on an upgrade for the Sundara.
Yes I think they are an upgrade in every way. They are just as detailed (if not more), with better imaging and similar soundstage. They are a clear upgrade to my ears, equipment, and musical tastes.

The one caveat to this is you do need a good amplifier with good current to properly drive them. They are a little harder to drive than the Sundara due to their low impedance.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #59 of 101
I don't quite get the headfi threading scheme so I don't know if this is the right place to add this. What are people's thoughts on how to explore the tuning inserts? I have had mine for almost a month now and generally love them. Driving them with an Asgard 3. I believe I am past the burn in window so I am considering testing the tuning inserts. What every people found and what is your sound preference if you like a particular setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back