Drop + Dan Clark Audio AEON Open X - Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #16 of 101
Have to say I'm not a fan of it at all...

3ssayptgkr841.jpg

Which sucks as I love AFC and A2C,

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #17 of 101
Have to say I'm not a fan of it at all...

3ssayptgkr841.jpg

Which sucks as I love AFC and A2C,
based on the reviews so far, it doesn't seem to be performing well on resolution. 4XX was such a underwhelming headphone, and stating you perceive more details with 4XX is alarming. I'm thinking it sinks resolution or masks it due to it's warmer thicker nature? I thought the issue with original Aeon open was similar being overly warm. I don't know why Dan's closed headphones have shorter decay than his open. I guess he dampens the closed ones at a greater level, and his open headphone are not really open like other openbacks we call open like Sennheisers or Hifimans. I noticed cup decay or reverb lingers in the cup for his open headphones, which thickens the sound. Which means they are not really open.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #18 of 101
based on the reviews so far, it doesn't seem to be performing well on resolution. 4XX was such a underwhelming headphone, and stating you perceive more details with 4XX is alarming. I'm thinking it sinks resolution or masks it due to it's warmer thicker nature? I thought the issue with original Aeon open was similar being overly warm. I don't know why Dan's closed headphones have shorter decay than his open. I guess he dampens the closed ones at a greater level, and his open headphone are not really open like other openbacks we call open like Sennheisers or Hifimans. I noticed cup decay or reverb lingers in the cup for his open headphones, which thickens the sound. Which means they are not really open.

Yea HE 4XX is... technically not as detailed but more of what's there stands out. There are things I notice on HE 4XX when I'm listening passively that I do not notice on Aeon X, now if I'm listening actively then it becomes clear that Aeon X is better but I think your right, it's not so much the warmth as it is the excessive reverb/wetness

Aeon 2C has some warmth but isn't as wet or smoothed over, even Ether 2 proves to be exceptionally warm/wet with a ton of detail.

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 101
Yea HE 4XX is... technically not as detailed but more of what's there stands out. There are things I notice on HE 4XX when I'm listening passively that I do not notice on Aeon X, now if I'm listening actively then it becomes clear that Aeon X is better but I think your right, it's not so much the warmth as it is the excessive reverb/wetness

Aeon 2C has some warmth but isn't as wet or smoothed over, even Ether 2 proves to be exceptionally warm/wet with a ton of detail.
I've heard people use the word 'neutral' interchangeably for headphone that are not so wet or has much cup resonance. Like Hifimans for example is a differwnt flavor with hardly any richness in tones as 'neutral.' In this case, they don't mean in terms of tonality. Audeze tend to have a thickness to their mids as well. Different flavors.

I was surprised with Ether 2. I didn't find it warm tilt with treble not so prominent, but not wet, which I like. I'm not into much wet type of sound. It was a draw because I like warm tilt tonality without the wetness.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 101
I've heard people use the word 'neutral' interchangeably for headphone that are not so wet or has much cup resonance. Like Hifimans for example is a differwnt flavor with hardly any richness in tones as 'neutral.' In this case, they don't mean in terms of tonality. Audeze tend to have a thickness to their mids as well. Different flavors.

I was surprised with Ether 2. I didn't find it warm tilt with treble not so prominent, but not wet, which I like. I'm not into much wet type of sound. It was a draw because I like warm tilt tonality without the wetness.

Ehh the purest Neutral in terms of just tonality/tone/timbre I've heard is ESP 95X. Even it's a smidge warm/dark

Dans TOTL tend to change with the amp/dac so I may have heard Ether 2 on a wetter system, it was an LTA Amp and a Chord DAC. I thought Ether 2 had enough wetness or reverb kinda like my PreFazor LCD 2 but better. This on the other hand is TOO wet, and HE 4XX is wet enough I'd say, a little less wetness wouldn't be a bad thing

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #21 of 101
Ehh the purest Neutral in terms of just tonality/tone/timbre I've heard is ESP 95X. Even it's a smidge warm/dark

Dans TOTL tend to change with the amp/dac so I may have heard Ether 2 on a wetter system, it was an LTA Amp and a Chord DAC. I thought Ether 2 had enough wetness or reverb kinda like my PreFazor LCD 2 but better. This on the other hand is TOO wet, and HE 4XX is wet enough I'd say, a little less wetness wouldn't be a bad thing
Yes, I shouldn't have said that it doesn't have wetness, but not too much. I don't like too much. LCDi4 was too much for example that mids defintion was lacking. This was even with reveal or cipher applied. Too much richness lowers mids definition for me which is important. The other end is dry, and I do prefer textures.

Sounds like ESP 95X could hit the spot for me.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #22 of 101
Yes, I shouldn't have said that it doesn't have wetness, but not too much. I don't like too much. LCDi4 was too much for example that mids defintion was lacking. This was even with reveal or cipher applied.

Nah yea your good, haven't heard LCDi4 not much of an IEM guy

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #23 of 101
Hi all, currently I am considering the Aeon Open X and Hifiman edtion xx. So I am posting 2 similar questions on both discussion threads.

I am using K702 and Q701 now, and love the musicality and soundstage, imaging, separation, layering, relaxation of K702 amplified by Audio-gd C-2 amp, a single-end amp whose output can be up to +/- 30V DC. I have enjoyed K702 for 7 years.

Is upgrading to Aeon Open X reasonable if I prefer the musicality? Maybe I will add a balanced amp next year(I have a balanced Audio-gd DAC.). So I will have single-end amps only in 2020. Even the 4-pin XLR output of C-2 is for the convenient usage only.

Thanks for your opinions at first!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #24 of 101
Hi all, currently I am considering the Aeon Open X and Hifiman edtion xx. So I am posting 2 similar questions on both discussion threads.

I am using K702 and Q701 now, and love the musicality and soundstage, imaging, separation, layering, relaxation of K702 amplified by Audio-gd C-2 amp, a single-end amp whose output can be up to +/- 30V DC. I have enjoyed K702 for 7 years.

Is upgrading to Aeon Open X reasonable if I prefer the musicality? Maybe I will add a balanced amp next year(I have a balanced Audio-gd DAC.). So I will have single-end amps only in 2020. Even the 4-pin XLR output of C-2 is for the convenient usage only.

Thanks for your opinions at first!

K702 and Aeon Open X are very different tonally, more compliments than anything I'd say

Have not heard Edition XX so I can't say. you may want to give Focal Elex a listen if as something similar to K702 but with more "musicality"

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #26 of 101
Thanks for your opinion. I just want to try a pair of planar headphones.

I'd say start with HE 4XX and go from there, it's not perfect but it does an excellent job showcasing the "planar" sound I feel. Upgrade from there depend on what your wanting, you talk about wanting an "intimate" headphone. I'd encourage you to hear one first if you can before buying one

Your in Cali and apparently San Fran so there's a LOT of audio shops close enough if you wanted to listen to some different options

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #27 of 101
I'd say start with HE 4XX and go from there, it's not perfect but it does an excellent job showcasing the "planar" sound I feel. Upgrade from there depend on what your wanting, you talk about wanting an "intimate" headphone. I'd encourage you to hear one first if you can before buying one

Your in Cali and apparently San Fran so there's a LOT of audio shops close enough if you wanted to listen to some different options

Good suggestion! Just found a store as a dealer of both Hifiman and Mr. Speakers.

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 101
Thanks for your opinion. I just want to try a pair of planar headphones.

When it comes to musicallity, there's no other planar then Quad Era-1 in under 1.5k price range, imo.
If there's a way to audition them, you've to go for, i'd say. :wink:

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #29 of 101
Mine arrived today. Pretty bummed;
  1. They showed up with non-perforated ear pads. Not only that but the give on the ear pads seems to be what others describe the original aeon flow pads to be.
  2. The box hinge is coming apart a bit
Honestly, they feel like new old stock. I am not convinced they are anything but aeon flows with a "Drop + Dan Clark" leather strip put on the headband (a piece that clearly is assembled as it's own piece, so would be very easy to do).

I like the comfort and sound. Drop simply asking me to send as return. No offer to send perforated pads. No way to confirm what I would receive if I placed a new order would include the updated pads on the website..... In fact when I asked how I would know if a new order would include the advertised perforated ear pads, I was told, "after reviewing your photos and the information on the product page, I have concluded that it is unlikely that any replacement sent to you would be any different".

Guess I am just returning and moving onto something else. Buyer beware, this appears to me like Dan Clark Audio is using Drop to move out his old Aeon product. Maybe my case is isolated, but proceed with caution.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 0
  • drop headband.jpg
    drop headband.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pads 2.jpg
    pads 2.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pads.jpg
    pads.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 101
Honestly, Drop is a pretty awful company. I'm sure if you reached out to Dan he would try to fix it better than Drop. I'd just return from Drop. Everything I've purchased from Drope have arrived broken and their customer service and support are not that great. I kept my mouth shut in these cases, just requesting a return, but not purchasing from them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back