Drop + Dan Clark Audio AEON Open X - Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #91 of 101
Hey guys! Here's my dual review of DROP + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Open X and Aeon Closed X. Check it out to read a detailed analysis of the tonal and technical performance of both headphones as well as comparisons with some of the popular benchmark headphones under $500, including two of Drop's previous collaboration products - Sennheiser HD6XX and Focal Elex. Enjoy!

DROP + DCA Aeon Open & Closed X Featured Image.jpg

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #93 of 101
This review is great but doesn't indicate which filters you used. Did you go without?

Thank you! Oh yes, without any filters. I had a line in there that the sound analysis was written without the filters. Looks like I deleted it by mistake when porting to Wordpress or when editing like a maniac. Lol! Thanks for pointing it out! Correction done!

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #94 of 101
Posted this on SHF, seems there is no interest there.
Just pulled the trigger on these. Since my wife works from home and I will either retire in a few years or just work 3 days with full benefits and even though my HiFi is upstairs it is too loud at low level.
Hope the will mesh well with Cary tube headphone amplifier.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #95 of 101
I ended up selling mine, but wanted to give a follow up:

• The sound quality is very good for midrange headphones stock, and with tuning they're very good neutral sounding. The pads are very plush and soft, softest I've ever felt.
  • I ended up selling them since they didn't vibe with me comfort-wise. They made an extremely effective seal around my ears that would build up pressure and heat. Otherwise, I thought they were great if you could get them for a good price.

May 11, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #96 of 101
I loved my Aeon 2 Noires, but I couldn't handle the pressure from closed-backs and how my voice sounded when talking when them on and ended up selling them. I'm hoping getting some Aeon Opens will fix some of these, but I've heard a lot that the Aeon Opens behave like closed-backs.

Has anyone tried these with the fully Fenestrated Sheepskin pads? Does it help open them enough to relieve the pressure build up and talking issues? Can you have a conversation with these on, with volume really low / off?

May 11, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #97 of 101
I typically see the Aeon Flow Xs go for an average of $400-450 used. I paid $385 for mine.

I love them and can't say enough good things about them. They are the only cans I have that I can just put on and listen to all day long without any physical discomfort or listener fatigue. They are now my go to cans and quite frankly don't won't to put any other phone on my head.

2 years later is this still the case for you? I'm trying to find my perfect all-day headphones.

May 11, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #99 of 101
Physically they work quite well for my large head. My friend with Sundara's can't wear them for any length of time. They might sound better I don't know. The question is how much will the dekoni pads change the sound? Still kinda angry about stick on pads.

May 11, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #100 of 101
Physically they work quite well for my large head. My friend with Sundara's can't wear them for any length of time. They might sound better I don't know. The question is how much will the dekoni pads change the sound? Still kinda angry about stick on pads.
It changes it but not in a bad way. After years of this headphone hobby and masses of headphones, I can safely say if you're hot with synthetic leather, you'll still get hot with natural leather. Maybe the odd difference is down to foam density.

The Aeon X is a lovely headphone, but it will feel quite closed. If you want comfort first and foremost then Beyerdynamic might be up your street. The Amiron Home being super comfortable, but when it comes to sound these trounce them.

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #101 of 101
Thank you! Oh yes, without any filters. I had a line in there that the sound analysis was written without the filters.
If you created your AutoEQ settings using Oratory's measurments, then you must keep the stock white inserts/filters inside. He measured them exactly as they come in the box. And they come with white inserts installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back