DROP + DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON CLOSED X HEADPHONES
Dec 24, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #46 of 111
They're not as effective as noise canceling headphones, but the isolation is pretty good. I use them in my office, where they block out an AC vent right by my desk. I can't hear my son's video game (dialogue and sound effects) from 3 feet away, and I tried a video of dog barking sounds from my laptop at 1 foot away, and they reduced it by, say 75%. If the dog is not in your house, I think the Closed X will get rid of most of it if you have music playing (I'm not even listening to anything loud, I am listening to a Mozart flute quartet).

That sounds very promising, right now I have a pair of closed back Audezes, and the barking is just too loud for these cans, i swear I'm about to commit arson to shut the hell up those dogs for good, I can't sleep at all or be productive during the day

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #50 of 111
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #51 of 111
After having a good look at them, the DCA a2Noir closed and the DCAxDrop aeon closed. they have different drivers,
which honestly should not be new to anyone, the aeon 2 noir says on their site that it was a totally new driver.
the visible layout for the dcaXdrop are vertical while the noir are horizontal
for the sound, so far, the Noir has stronger deeper bass, but really as far as i can tell with my ears they both sound very very close.

DMS did a video on both of these a few days ago and i agree with what he said about these

Your pads look pretty bad here, how long had you had the Aeons before you took this photo? You can see the sharp seam of the foam rolling away from the leather in the second photo, the seam is no longer in line with the stitching. Dan has a video on how you can try rolling the foam back into place, however be aware this can be a permanent deformation. It's an issue because it can affect seal and comfort.

This is a warranty issue and a known defect with the Aeon pad design. It doesn't seem to bother some users, but if your pads get worse or the rolling is permanent (it usually is) I'd contact DCA for a free replacement. Many users on this forum have reported the same issue, as well as on Drop. I've stopped recommending the Aeons because of the pad issue, it's unacceptable to sell headphones at a luxury price point with pads that lose shape within a week (at least they did for all 3 pads I got, including one Dekoni replacement pair).

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #52 of 111
Does anyone have any Peace EQ profiles they like and can share for this headphone (Drop DCA Aeon Closed X)?

I have a pair of new (to me) DCA + Drop Aeon Closed X headphones.

Usually AutoEQ project is helpful but there's nothing there for this headphone. I'm going round in circles trying to come up with an EQ for this headphone myself by ear.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #53 of 111
Does anyone have any Peace EQ profiles they like and can share for this headphone (Drop DCA Aeon Closed X)?

I have a pair of new (to me) DCA + Drop Aeon Closed X headphones.

Usually AutoEQ project is helpful but there's nothing there for this headphone. I'm going round in circles trying to come up with an EQ for this headphone myself by ear.

Thanks!
There is one just look on reddit Oratory.

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #54 of 111
May 4, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #56 of 111
Curious if anyone has an upgrade from these? I like them a lot, but you know, always wondering. I had the mdr z1r, and maybe my expectations were too high, but I let them go. Now, I have a good amp and dac and wondering if that was premature. Idk. Been through a lot of headphones. 1770, cascade, Amiron, sundara, Amanda, phantom, 1060c (trash). The dekoni blues have amazing bass, but the treble was super hot and unrefined. I should probably just be happy with what I have. Nonetheless...

May 4, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #57 of 111
Curious if anyone has an upgrade from these? I like them a lot, but you know, always wondering. I had the mdr z1r, and maybe my expectations were too high, but I let them go. Now, I have a good amp and dac and wondering if that was premature. Idk. Been through a lot of headphones. 1770, cascade, Amiron, sundara, Amanda, phantom, 1060c (trash). The dekoni blues have amazing bass, but the treble was super hot and unrefined. I should probably just be happy with what I have. Nonetheless...
You didn't like the Z1R, so I'm at a bit of a loss. What sound signature are you after (sounds like you want mellower treble?)? What genres of music? How much do you want to spend?

If I were in the market, under $500 I would probably be looking at Focal Elegia. Under $1k probably the LCD-2C. Under $2k Maybe Fostex TH900 or Senny HD820. Over $2k probably Meze Elite, LCD5, and Focal Stellia.

But I'm not in the market because between the Aeon Closed X and the Z1R I don't really have a desire right now.

May 5, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #58 of 111
You didn't like the Z1R, so I'm at a bit of a loss. What sound signature are you after (sounds like you want mellower treble?)? What genres of music? How much do you want to spend?

If I were in the market, under $500 I would probably be looking at Focal Elegia. Under $1k probably the LCD-2C. Under $2k Maybe Fostex TH900 or Senny HD820. Over $2k probably Meze Elite, LCD5, and Focal Stellia.

But I'm not in the market because between the Aeon Closed X and the Z1R I don't really have a desire right now.
Thanks. Thats helpful. Not sure I'm really in the market. More just curious. I'm not sure that I didn't like them as much as I expected more for a 1600 headphone, but I don't recall what I was running it from at the time.

May 5, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #59 of 111
You can watch some Headphone Show videos from DMS. He considers the Aeon Noire an upgrade. Even more of an upgrade is the DCA Stealth. :beyersmile:

May 6, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #60 of 111
It’ll probably sound crazy but the VZR Model One is the best audiophile headphone I’ve ever encountered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back