Driving with Headphones
May 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 252

Sumflow

100+ Head-Fier
Do you ever listen to your iPod through your headphones while driving?

Hawaii has no state law that I can find against wearing headphones when driving a car.  The newspaper reported that one Honolulu city, had a law against it before cell phone use became common.  Do you ever listen to your iPod through your headphones while driving?

May 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 252
No way. When I'm driving, I have to be fully aware of my surroundings and headphones significantly cut down on that awareness.

May 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 252
Ummmmmm NO!! Regardless of whether or not there's a law there against it, it is very, very unsafe! When driving, you rely on sound almost as much as sight. What if there was an emergency vehicle with sirens going coming from a ways back? I can't recall how many times I hear sirens faintly in traffic, and because I've heard it early I have time to start assessing the traffic situation around me so I can get over. If you have your earphones on and don't hear it, you get caught up in the middle of it all and become a road hazard when you do have to suddenly scramble to find your way over to the side. 

Just my .02. And this is just one possible scenario. 

May 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 252
I hate people who drive with earphones - there is no excuse. Even more than speakers, earphones isolate a driver, annoy the driver with cables, and cram the driver into a world they shouldn't be in whilst driving. I have a friend who got hit because of such a dumn f*ck. It is inexcusable action for a driver of a killing machine to then make themselves even stupider by wearing earphones or any variety whilst driving. 

Earphone drivers - go wrap ourselves around trees, and rid the world of you.

May 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 252
Yeah, both are stupid, done by lawless individuals who only think of themselves whilst driving a tonne of steel. I hope none of dem ever rip through flesh. Something needs to be done in a society addicted to the effin' automobile and lard. 

May 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 252
The only thing that may be acceptable is those that are on motorcycles where wind noise can be an issue but only if music is not on imo.

Driving with phones on is such a stupid idea I can't even imagine where one thinks of such a thing. The same goes for texting or anything else that people who that prevents them from paying attention to the road.

May 20, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 252
Driving with earphones/headphones is a bad idea, PERIOD!!!

I have a busy multi-use trail that I walk on after work, I made the mistake of wearing my S4's one night and I was almost run over by two cyclists, I almost tripped a roller blader and couldn't tell you how many times I jumped when others passed me from behind.  Now I use my IE8's which have less isolation and keep the music down low so I can hear someone approaching. I may even start using the crApple originals when walking.

May 20, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 252
I hate to rain on everyone's parade of self righteousness, but I fail to see how listening to headphones is different from just cranking your car's stereo.  Hearing is almost completely inconsequential to driving.  When was the last time you heard someone signal anything useful with their horn?  Emergency vehicles have flashing lights which are much more noticeable than sirens.  Many modern luxury cars also isolate you to a remarkable degree and AFAIK safety nazis don't have their panties in a bunch about them.  Finally, deaf people drive all the time without incident.

If you get into accident while wearing headphones it will be because you were paying too much attention to the music instead of the road, not because of the way you were listening to the music.  If you're going to condemn using headphones while driving you'll need to condemn car stereos too.  And traveling with passengers, and cup holders, and drive-thrus, and roadside billboards, and lots of other things that are more distracting.  That's at least a logically consistent stance, if not a popular one.  I'm willing to take this back I someone has a few studies to back them up, or at least propose some mechanism of action I didn't already eviscerate.

May 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 252

[size=10pt]Sorry to hear about that shigzeo. My deep sympathies. I kind of agree with maverick on this, however, but what is the circumstance when using headphones. For instance, I personally wear my TF10 vi in the morning when I drive? Why? Well, I am going literally and actually 5-15 mph for about 45-50 minutes in stop traffic during my commute and I see absolutely no danger involved. On the contrary, I weekly, if not more often, actually witness accidents or nearly (rear-ends mostly) from drivers who are looking down and texting. I can easily take any calls with-out my eyes leaving the road. Based on my experience texting is way, way, way more dangerous while driving. I think it comes down to personal accountability, circumstance, surroundings, and experience. [/size]

May 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 252

Quote:
I hate to rain on everyone's parade of self righteousness, but I fail to see how listening to headphones is different from just cranking your car's stereo.  Hearing is almost completely inconsequential to driving.  When was the last time you heard someone signal anything useful with their horn?  Emergency vehicles have flashing lights which are much more noticeable than sirens.  Many modern luxury cars also isolate you to a remarkable degree and AFAIK safety nazis don't have their panties in a bunch about them.  Finally, deaf people drive all the time without incident.

If you get into accident while wearing headphones it will be because you were paying too much attention to the music instead of the road, not because of the way you were listening to the music.  If you're going to condemn using headphones while driving you'll need to condemn car stereos too.  And traveling with passengers, and cup holders, and drive-thrus, and roadside billboards, and lots of other things that are more distracting.  That's at least a logically consistent stance, if not a popular one.  I'm willing to take this back I someone has a few studies to back them up, or at least propose some mechanism of action I didn't already eviscerate.

You definitely have a point. The only time I ever drove with earbuds was once while driving cross country on the highway, and it was out of respect for the sleeping passenger since I couldn't use the radio

May 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 252
Well, I'm glad that you are able to you know, have at it and use headphones cause YOU see no danger involved. Dump it on texters - that is the way. I'm sorry, but I have zero respect for this/that attitude when it comes to driving. A car is an effin dangerous machine and using headphones because it is 'less dangerous' than earphones is a stupid way to excuse yourself. There's no civil way to say stop because you won't and this isn't about righteousness, it's about life. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back