Driving the dt990 600ohm: choices, choices.
Jul 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DayofCalm

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking closely at buying a beyerdynamic dt990 or 880 for quite some time now. Since I haven't owned open phones before, I've settled on the 990. I've made the decision that every head-fier inevitably makes: time to pull the trigger and splurge.

Only problem is, the 600 ohm is understandably pretty hard to drive well from what I hear. I imagine my clip+ or my onboard soundcard wouldn't like to try, and my fiio e7 probably wouldn't perform so well either.

So my question is as to whether or not the e7+e9 combo would be capable of driving the 600 ohm dt990 as its supposed to be driven. Would I be better off waiting for the fiio e15 from what you all have heard? Or should I just scrap solid state entirely and go straight for tube? If that's the case, I'd be in the market for a tube amp under 300 usd that would do well for the 990.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 11
I am awaiting my 600ohm DT880s to pair with my Schiit Valhalla. This amp is well respected and according to many members here, and one of the co-founders of Schiit Jason, is very well suited to drive the 600ohm cans. I have been using my Valhalla to drive my Grado HF2s which are low impedence, but still sound very, very nice with the Valhalla. I just couldn't resist hearing a high impedence set.

I'm sure there are other great amps, but the Valhalla seems to pack a great deal of value and quality performance for $349. Hope you find the right match for you. As a side note, I have spent over 30 years listening to solid state and I own a really nice integrated with a kickass headphone section. Despite this I love the Valhalla, and surprisingly, so did my brother who is very much into audio and tends to think I buy things with little real benefit compared to previous stuff. He really liked the Valhalla so that is some feedback from a solid state user. Cheers.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 11
Little Dot mkiii, I have it paired with my DT880 600ohm. I have decided that these are all the cans I need and wont be upgrading for a long while. Although pro900 seem to be FoTM and are tempting... damn this site.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Let me know what you guys think!

Here’s a second vote for the Schiit Valhalla. I use it to drive my pair of DT 990/600 Ω, and I’m very happy with the sound. I’m sure you will love this combination too.

Werner.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 11
Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback. Depending on how the finances go in the near future (going to wait to get either amp 'til after I have the headphones in hand), I'll probably either get the LD MK3 or the Schiit Valhalla. I'm still a little curious about how the Fiio combo would perform with the 990, although I realize the above choices would probably be superior. Thanks again
dt880smile.png

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 11

the fiio should be able to power them but come on man you know you want need the evil glowing contraptions that are tubes in your life.
Quote:
Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback. Depending on how the finances go in the near future (going to wait to get either amp 'til after I have the headphones in hand), I'll probably either get the LD MK3 or the Schiit Valhalla. I'm still a little curious about how the Fiio combo would perform with the 990, although I realize the above choices would probably be superior. Thanks again
dt880smile.png

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 11

I soooo dooooo
triportsad.gif
Stop being the evil voice on one of my shoulders! I could drop an extra 350 on a valhalla, or I could just be happy with the ss fiio setup I already haveee :p
Quote:
the fiio should be able to power them but come on man you know you want need the evil glowing contraptions that are tubes in your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back