Dream setup - How does this sound?
Sep 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aklein55

New Head-Fier
I own a big rig - but never get to play it a normal listening volume (in an office).  [Musical Fidelity KW 25 Transport/DAC connected to Jeff Rowland Pre Amp/Model 12 feeding Wilson Watt/Puppy 7s with Transparent cabling.]  

So I just purchased a Stax 009 with a maxed out Woo WES, W4S DAC2 SE and Transparent Reference Balanced MM1 interconnect.  Does anyone use this setup - Thoughts?

Thanks

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 14
I don't own any of that setup, but I'm sure its going to sound absolutely amazing. Congrats on the setup. You should check out innerfidelity's review on the 009's with a variety of end game amps here if you haven't already.

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 14
That's a HUGE amount of money to just plop down without listening to any of it :/  Sounds more like youre seeking validation for your expenditure, more than anything else. 

That being said, the WES sounds pretty good with the 009s, at lot better than it does with the 007s. 

All in all:  Nice transparent DAC, best headphones ever, rather weak and overpriced amp (and I would know, I owned serial #1), and $2k pieces of $20 wire.  Don't really know what else you want us to say? 

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Now you know why we kicked Doug out of New Jersey.

Actually he left for a better job and we miss him (and his opinions) terribly.

Doug -- you doing OK in ChiTown?

Doug's 009's are the best HP's I have ever heard.  So, aklein55, your new rig will sound fantastic.

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Belkin Gold for the win! Save such money though for an Audiophilleo or OffRamp if you want to go crazy with USB upgrades IMO. 
smile.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks - some of the audiophile USB cables go for $600 or more. The Transparent USB cable is pretty - but sounds like a waste of money. I use audiophile cabling for my interconnects and speakers - and do hear a difference (primarily in reducing the noise floor and overall transparency). Nice to see that I don't need to plunk down big money for a USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back