Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Apr 8, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #241 of 597

(warning, I am in no way an audiophile and this is my first look at CIEM having previously used Atrio M5s and TF10s so please take this with a pinch of salt)!

I decided to buy the 5X after reading Average Joe’s rather flattering review on here. I was shortly to deploy to Afghanistan which would enable me to have them shipped there without incurring the extra 20%+ tax for a UK address. Mitch kindly gave me the $50 head-fi discount and was very helpful throughout from the initial enquiry, purchase and moulding to the eventual dispatch. His recommended moulding technique seems a little strange compared to others (he recommends talking while the mould is setting) but seems to have worked nonetheless. I think the unexpected popularity may have caught him out a little as the 3 week expected dispatch was more like 6 weeks but still worth the wait in my opinion (I may have just caught him at a bad time). Unfortunately there were complications at his post office with dispatching to a British Forces address in Afghanistan but he persevered and they arrived less than two weeks after dispatch.
I ordered them in clear with silver DE symbol and clear cable to be as inconspicuous as possible (I use IEM the half dozen or so times a year my band plays) and the quality seems very good. There are very minor bubbles in the acrylic that in no way detract from the look and which I imagine are standard in similar products. The end of the ear canal is filled with clear silicon which apparently aids isolation though I dont have another CIEM to compare it to.
The fit seems good. The left ear is a perfect fit though the right is perhaps a touch too big near the end of the canal. Not so much that I would describe it as uncomfortable and probably not enough to justify sending it back for a refit (which Mitch offers for free for 30 days after delivery).

For my ‘Listening Tests’ I used my Rockbox’d Clip+ and compared the 5X with my Triple Fi 10s and Atrio M5s on a variety of tracks from Gustavo Cerati, The Prodigy, Radiohead and a few classical numbers. I quickly stopped comparing the Atrios as they were found lacking in every department, including (surprisingly for a dynamic driver) the bass. They also took a lot more driving than both the 5X and Triple Fi.

Overall I would describe the 5X as very balanced and brilliantly controlled. They have nice sub-bass rumble which never gets flabby and reveal a lot of detail in well recorded tracks. I found the bass even better than the Atrios which are traditionally favoured for their bass. The 5X seemed to take a little bit more to drive when compared to the TF10s but given the extra sub/low-bass and mids you get with the 5X it is understandable.  The mids are where the 5X really show up the V shape of the TF10s, the mids on the 5X being a lot more forward in comparison though IMHO still very balanced. Treble is neither lacking nor accentuated and again I would describe it as balanced but with great detail.

I’ve been very impressed with the 5X and would not hesitate in recommending them. I am a bit of a bass head and have certainly not been disappointed with the 5X but in saying that I don’t think it could ever be described as overpowering; everything just sits in the mix where it should and is very tight and controlled with great detail.

A word of warning for those moving up from lower quality universals... I have found that the increase in overall sound quality tends to emphasise poorly mastered recordings and lower bitrate encodings to the point that I now skip straight past some tracks. Fortunately I have 90% of my music recorded with LAME -V1 which seems to be sufficient for my needs (though I may look to move to lossless in the future as memory becomes cheaper and the popularity of the now open source ALAC increases). If you have your music recorded at lower settings you may find that it begins to annoy you!

Please feel free to ask any questions, I hope this has at least been helpful for someone.

(Edit. 2 weeks in and I now find these really comfortable. I don't know if it has been a case of me getting used to inserting them or my ears molding slightly to their shape but I can now wear them without fatigue for hours on end. I really do love them!).

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #242 of 597
Thanks Ukflyboy. I found that both helpful and interesting!

What you say with regards to bass is heartening to hear, as prior to purchase I was a little cautious about relying on a BA for my bass needs. From what you say however (as well as all previous impressions), those 3 dedicated drivers are doing their job admirably, particularly if you found the Atrios lacking in comparison. Did you find them lacking in terms of quantity, quality, or both?

From somebody who has come from universals, what sort of changes (if any) are you noticing in isolation and comfort (right ear imperfection aside)?

Thanks again!

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #243 of 597

Quote:
(warning, I am in no way an audiophile and this is my first look at CIEM having previously used Atrio M5s and TF10s so please take this with a pinch of salt)!

I decided to buy the 5X after reading Average Joe’s rather flattering review on here. I was shortly to deploy to Afghanistan which would enable me to have them shipped there without incurring the extra 20%+ tax for a UK address. Mitch kindly gave me the $50 head-fi discount and was very helpful throughout from the initial enquiry, purchase and moulding to the eventual dispatch. His recommended moulding technique seems a little strange compared to others (he recommends talking while the mould is setting) but seems to have worked nonetheless. I think the unexpected popularity may have caught him out a little as the 3 week expected dispatch was more like 6 weeks but still worth the wait in my opinion (I may have just caught him at a bad time). Unfortunately there were complications at his post office with dispatching to a British Forces address in Afghanistan but he persevered and they arrived less than two weeks after dispatch.
I ordered them in clear with silver DE symbol and clear cable to be as inconspicuous as possible (I use IEM the half dozen or so times a year my band plays) and the quality seems very good. There are very minor bubbles in the acrylic that in no way detract from the look and which I imagine are standard in similar products. The end of the ear canal is filled with clear silicon which apparently aids isolation though I dont have another CIEM to compare it to.
The fit seems good. The left ear is a perfect fit though the right is perhaps a touch too big near the end of the canal. Not so much that I would describe it as uncomfortable and probably not enough to justify sending it back for a refit (which Mitch offers for free for 30 days after delivery).

For my ‘Listening Tests’ I used my Rockbox’d Clip+ and compared the 5X with my Triple Fi 10s and Atrio M5s on a variety of tracks from Gustavo Cerati, The Prodigy, Radiohead and a few classical numbers. I quickly stopped comparing the Atrios as they were found lacking in every department, including (surprisingly for a dynamic driver) the bass. They also took a lot more driving than both the 5X and Triple Fi.

Overall I would describe the 5X as very balanced and brilliantly controlled. They have nice sub-bass rumble which never gets flabby and reveal a lot of detail in well recorded tracks. I found the bass even better than the Atrios which are traditionally favoured for their bass. The 5X seemed to take a little bit more to drive when compared to the TF10s but given the extra sub/low-bass and mids you get with the 5X it is understandable.  The mids are where the 5X really show up the V shape of the TF10s, the mids on the 5X being a lot more forward in comparison though IMHO still very balanced. Treble is neither lacking nor accentuated and again I would describe it as balanced but with great detail.

I’ve been very impressed with the 5X and would not hesitate in recommending them. I am a bit of a bass head and have certainly not been disappointed with the 5X but in saying that I don’t think it could ever be described as overpowering; everything just sits in the mix where it should and is very tight and controlled with great detail.

A word of warning for those moving up from lower quality universals... I have found that the increase in overall sound quality tends to emphasise poorly mastered recordings and lower bitrate encodings to the point that I know skip straight past some tracks. Fortunately I have 90% of my music recorded with LAME -V1 which seems to be sufficient for my needs (though I may look to move to lossless in the future as memory becomes cheaper and the popularity of the now open source ALAC increases). If you have your music recorded at lower settings you may find that it begins to annoy you!

Please feel free to ask any questions, I hope this has at least been helpful for someone.

Thanks for the great writeup; I agree everything you have said!  I have spent some time with the Atrio (two different loaners) and can't say I disagree with your findings, but most dynamic drivers improve with amping.  And yes, low bitrate and poorly mastered tracks can sound quite bad.  I have some test tracks I listen to for checking how forgiving an IEM is, but other than that I really can't listen to some songs.  It is unfortunate because I do like some of the 80s stuff but the original masters are just bad, so even in FLAC the tracks still sound lifeless.

As far as the bass goes, yes, the 5X can kick out some great bass; the best I have heard from a BA in an IEM (universal or dynamic) with a price below the JH16.

I am happy to hear you are enjoying the 5X, happy listening!

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #244 of 597
Ukflyboy, great review . I don't know when you'll be headed home but if the canal is a tad too big perhaps you can get a local audiologist to trim it for you! Enjoy!

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #245 of 597

Quote:
As far as the bass goes, yes, the 5X can kick out some great bass; the best I have heard from a BA in an IEM (universal or dynamic) with a price below the JH16.

Quite a compliment, given that the SA-43 and LS8 cost almost double that of the AUD-5X. Pure value indeed!

Quote:
Ukflyboy, great review . I don't know when you'll be headed home but if the canal is a tad too big perhaps you can get a local audiologist to trim it for you! Enjoy!

Good point. In fact, there may be an armed-force based audiologist local to you, who could look at it in his spare time?

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #246 of 597
To be honest the right canal isnt really bothering me that much and its still probably more comfortable than a set of Universals, its just that the left ear is literally perfect. I am also finding that the more I take them out and put them in I can find the correct positioning that the right ear is not really a major factor. It could just be me getting used to customs. 
Stepping up from Universals I would say the main difference is getting used to fitting them, you cant just rip em out and stick em back in as easy as a normal bud, or certainly I cant at this stage. Isolation wise I would say the 5X are on a par with TF10 and better than the Atrios but I would need to have a play round and test it to get anything more definite. As far as the bass difference between the Atrios and the 5X I would say that the Atrios seem to have more potential to produce great sub-bass rumble but the volume would be such that the other freqs would be unpleasant to listen to. Quite simply I prefer the more complete bass response from the 5X. Bare in mind though that the Atrios have been with me for the past 4 years in various inhospitable places around the world so may well be past their best. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #247 of 597
Great review ukflyboy, it's nice to have a couple more posters on here that can comment on the customs.  I had a bit of the same "problem" when I first got the customs.  The left ear was a tad bit uncomfortable, but after a couple weeks my ears seemed to warm up to the customs and I haven't had a problem since.  glad that you are liking them so much, they are a very well rounded headphone.  I think what still surprises me the most is how inoffensive they are, listening for hours I still get no ear fatigue.  ukflyboy, you mention the V shape of the TF10, is that with bass and treble and no mid or the other way around?  I've not heard these phones so I wasn't sure.  

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #249 of 597
1964 Q or these? What do you guys reckon?

I wish I could tell you. I was in the same dilemma not too long ago. I was set on the quads. However before I ordered the quads I sent my tf10 for a reshell to get a feel for their craftsmanship. I was not disappointed. but what good is aesthetics if there is no practicality.

So after thought and research I came to my decision based on my desired sound preference. Musicality was what I was looking and based on some reviews and my conversations with the 1964 team, the quads were not what I was looking for. It also gives me comfort to know that the the 5x is from a technical standpoint better. :) I hope this helps !

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #250 of 597
I'm finding it surprising that all reviews so far have mentioned balanced or forward mids. My impression of them is somewhat receded upper mids/lower treble like a less bad TF10, and that's my sole complaint (especially as I find that frequency range really engaging). Apart from that, they've loosened up nicely and are brilliant earphones. Going back to Etys, maybe the upper mids sound a bit boosted... but then I find the Etys more consistent with my K701 and AT-W11JPN.The only hesitation I'd have in recommending them is the mids... but depending on your preference, that might not be an issue. In all other respects, they're really, really good.

Quote:
Great review ukflyboy, it's nice to have a couple more posters on here that can comment on the customs.  I had a bit of the same "problem" when I first got the customs.  The left ear was a tad bit uncomfortable, but after a couple weeks my ears seemed to warm up to the customs and I haven't had a problem since.  glad that you are liking them so much, they are a very well rounded headphone.  I think what still surprises me the most is how inoffensive they are, listening for hours I still get no ear fatigue.  ukflyboy, you mention the V shape of the TF10, is that with bass and treble and no mid or the other way around?  I've not heard these phones so I wasn't sure.  

I'll echo that. My left ear was initially a little uncomfortable and I felt the very tip was a bit too wide. After a week or so, this feeling reduced, and now my ears have conformed and they're perfectly comfortable. Absolutely more comfortable than universals, and I'm someone who doesn't mind shoving Ety triflanges deep into my ears for multiple hours.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #251 of 597

I'm finding it surprising that all reviews so far have mentioned balanced or forward mids. My impression of them is somewhat receded upper mids/lower treble like a less bad TF10, and that's my sole complaint (especially as I find that frequency range really engaging). Apart from that, they've loosened up nicely and are brilliant earphones. Going back to Etys, maybe the upper mids sound a bit boosted... but then I find the Etys more consistent with my K701 and AT-W11JPN.The only hesitation I'd have in recommending them is the mids... but depending on your preference, that might not be an issue. In all other respects, they're really, really good.

That is understandable and I had very similar thoughts when I first received them.  Much the same as yourself I have a set of K701, and Etys to which I could compare the 5x, but I think it is very important to look at the 5x contextually.  Within the K701 and Ety context I would certainly say that the 5x have recessed mids and most certainly a dip in the treble.  Remember that these are monitor style headphones though, they are meant to cleanly replicate the entire frequency spectrum, which doesn't necessarily mean that they will be overly musical when doing this but they will be accurate for accuracy's sake.  The 5x are geared toward the stage and as such will lean heavily on a much more musical and rolled off presentation, which is less accurate but more "fun."  And that's exactly why I bought them haha, I can only listen to the Ety highs for so long before my ears need a break.

When I lump the 5x with my HD650 and K340, I'm in the opposite contextual boat.  The midrange is a bit more forward and the highs a tad more apparent (less so with the K340 because of the electrostat), I will say that the 5x has much more in common with this group than the first.  They sound a lot like the 650 IMHO, but without the veil and some more treble action.  I think that they would sound more like your AT-WLLJPN than the K701s but it will be hard to beat the midrange on the AT to begin with, but bear in mind those had much more expensive MSRP as well.  Anyway I'm glad that you ended up liking them and now that you mention it they did seem to relax a bit after burning in.  
basshead.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #252 of 597

1964 Q or these? What do you guys reckon?

Depends on what you're looking for really.  From what I've read the 1964 Q are quite dark, and a bit more rolled off (around 16hz while the 5x is around 18hz though the website may say 16hz as well).  I believe they will be on the darker side of an SM3 where the 5x is just a tab brighter and fuller sounding SM3.  Average_joe would probably be of the most use here as he's got quite a collection to pull from, though I'm not sure if he has heard the 1964 Q.  So I'd say if you want more of a monitor sound 1964 Q is definitely not a step toward that, though the 5x really isn't either, but if you want a heavily saturated and musical sound the 1964 Q is for you.  The 5x would be a musically balanced approach and will tend toward the middle of the above comparison.  Anyway, my two cents, feel free to chime in here to help me out as I've not actually heard the 1964 Q.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #253 of 597
Mitch is pushing these bad boys out. He posted 3 new monitors on the FB page. I hope my day comes soon.

I would be happy to share my change after I receive them.

Biggest problem is that no has both the quads and aud5x to a/b. I got the aud5x because my understanding was that the quads were more suitable as stage monitors. When i receive mine I can compare them to my reshelled tf10. If that is of any use to you.

I believe Joe and ukflyboy has done so already。

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #255 of 597
There is currently a discount for all dream earz Facebook friends. Discount ends April 30th. Contact Mitch at Sales@drmearz.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back