Dre Beats Studio vs. Shure SRH 440 vs. Audio-Technica MH-50
Jul 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Matt L.

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, just wanted to see what the true headphone experts had to say about these three headphones. I know the Dre Beats are overpriced, but I like how they look and I'm very interested in the noise-cancelling functions of these. If I choose to go with those, I'll have to wait until the end of the year until I can save enough money to purchase them.

On the other hand, the Shure SRH440 is the cheapest of the lot. But that's not the only reason why I'm interested in these. I like how sturdy and durable they look (only seen in pics and videos).

And then finally, the Audio-Technica MH-50. I think the Shure headphones look more comfortable, but like I said I haven't really tested any of these out in person except my roommate had the Dre Beats Studio's and he loved them.

The only thing I'm worried about the Studios is its durability. Also the price. I'm sure that $350 is not worth it, right? I'm not a huge headphones kind of guy, I wouldn't really be able to tell you what the 'mids' and 'highs' mean. I do listen to a lot of music -- hip hop for the most part. Artists such as Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Tyler, the Creator, etc. If I buy the Shure SRH440 or AT MH50, I'll be bringing them to a 24-hour flight (there and back, so two of these long trips!) so I'd like to get something comfortable, if possible!

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Well then you can strike off the M50 and the SRH440 off your list. The Beats too, but they do hip-hop surprisingly well amidst the hate, but there are better options.

For one, the Audio Technica Pro700 MK2. Comfort is an issue with the stock pads, but swapping them out with the M50 pads helps dramatically.

Another more controversial option would be the Soul SL300. Haven't heard it yet, but given that you're listening to hip-hop and take planes, as well as the fact that there is a universal agreement that these are better than the Beats, you may want to consider it.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Here are a few additional options for ya: Ultrasone's HFi-580 and HFi-780.  Both options boast an exceptional bass response as well excellent overall sound quality, all at a price lower than the fore mentioned Beats.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 6
ugh how can you even place the beats in the same line with actual good headphones.
I'd run screaming from the beats, and check out the m50s, or the Shure srh550dj, or the akg k81 dj, all three pound out insane bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back