Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #796 of 1,192
I followed the guide from DFC completly. Even with the 32ohm the sound sucks, the jack from my computer is way better than the sound from DFC, with the same settings. Updated drivers from usb and everything. Nothing is working.
Wasn't expecting the 250ohms to work at 100% was just expecting to have them to be decently driven by DFC but is so quiet :|
I think your DFC is faulty. Hardware problem.
With Sennheiser HD600 300ohm, I have the Windows 10 volume control set at 25/100 and it is very very loud.
With Fiio FH5 19ohm IEM, I set the volume to 4/100.

It's no point buying an amp if your DFC is faulty. All you will get is amplified bad sound.

Suggest you try some more diagnostic work e.g. use the DFC on a different Windows 10 machine, different music palyer, and try to connect to different phones. Then you will be able to eliminate all the variables that could be contributing to the problem.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #797 of 1,192
I think your DFC is faulty. Hardware problem.
With Sennheiser HD600 300ohm, I have the Windows 10 volume control set at 25/100 and it is very very loud.
With Fiio FH5 19ohm IEM, I set the volume to 4/100.

It's no point buying an amp if your DFC is faulty. All you will get is amplified bad sound.

Suggest you try some more diagnostic work e.g. use the DFC on a different Windows 10 machine, different music palyer, and try to connect to different phones. Then you will be able to eliminate all the variables that could be contributing to the problem.

Right, agree. However, HD600 is actually more sensitive than DT770. DT770 needs double the voltage to get you the same sound pressure level compared to Senn. Theoretically DFC is enough to drive even the DT250 to very loud levels, but it would be operating with not much headroom, which is usually not very beneficial for sound quality and low distortions. I would use an amp.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #798 of 1,192
Right, agree. However, HD600 is actually more sensitive than DT770. DT770 needs double the voltage to get you the same sound pressure level compared to Senn. Theoretically DFC is enough to drive even the DT250 to very loud levels, but it would be operating with not much headroom, which is usually not very beneficial for sound quality and low distortions. I would use an amp.

Thank you both, very much, tried in another W10 machine, same thing. No support whatsoever from AudioQuest part, it's quite frustrating might send back for a refound and try a 2nd unit

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #799 of 1,192
I use Fiio A5 as a mobile amp. That one would easily drive your Beyer.
And you paired it with a DAC? Searched everywhere seems like I can't buy it brand new here in Europe, it's shame because the price was great.
Another more recent mobile amp that can drive my DT770 250 ohms and maybe pair it with the DFC ?
Thank you again !

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #800 of 1,192
Seems they've discontinued it, it's a shame, was still available a few months ago. I plug it into the DFR to drive my HD600, sounds magically, better than my desktop gear for around 1500 Euro...

I never liked my HD600 off my desktop setup, nor much directly on a DFR. But DFR+A5 on high gain is a completely different strory. I like HD600 on this chain more than my other headphones that are 5-6 times dearer...

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #801 of 1,192
Hi all,
Wiggle problem here. So I've had the dfc for almost a year now, and since the very beginning they had the known wiggle of the USB/headphone jack. This was never an issue soundwise.

HOWEVER, today it started giving problems such that in some angles of wiggle I lose sound in the right earpiece. No force is needed, even just picking it up I can lose the sound.

Did this happen to anyone?

I would have used my warranty but I bought it abroad and we don't have warranty service where I live. International shipping is also a real pain (if even possible) now under COVID-19.

I'm contemplating using some superglue to glue it to the balanced angle. Wanted to know your thoughts..

Thanks a lot!!

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #802 of 1,192
Hi all,
Wiggle problem here. So I've had the dfc for almost a year now, and since the very beginning they had the known wiggle of the USB/headphone jack. This was never an issue soundwise.

HOWEVER, today it started giving problems such that in some angles of wiggle I lose sound in the right earpiece. No force is needed, even just picking it up I can lose the sound.

Did this happen to anyone?

I would have used my warranty but I bought it abroad and we don't have warranty service where I live. International shipping is also a real pain (if even possible) now under COVID-19.

I'm contemplating using some superglue to glue it to the balanced angle. Wanted to know your thoughts..

Thanks a lot!!

I would contact AQ and see what they say. I had purchased mine last year around Xmas and about a month in I noticed it became loose then over time it started cutting out. It eventually got to the point that last month it did so to many times for me to count while just walking a few blocks. I did an RMA and AQ sent me a brand new one that feels much more solid than the one i purchased.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #803 of 1,192
I would contact AQ and see what they say. I had purchased mine last year around Xmas and about a month in I noticed it became loose then over time it started cutting out. It eventually got to the point that last month it did so to many times for me to count while just walking a few blocks. I did an RMA and AQ sent me a brand new one that feels much more solid than the one i purchased.
Thanks! sent you a private message

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #805 of 1,192
Has anyone used this with an Andromeda or Solaris? I'm curious if there's any hiss.
I‘ve used the Cobalt with my Andromeda SS for a while. There was no hiss when the Cobalt was attached to a Battery powered device. There can however be some hiss/interference if e.g. the cobalt is connected to a laptop which has unclean power. This happened to me when I had my laptop connected to the power in a train.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #807 of 1,192
Final decided to grab a DFC, paired with Shure SE846, being trying a couple of days but have a problem, if a play through Tidal app there's a hiss in low comfortable volume, same hiss appears in UAPP if I don't allow the app to take control of de DAC.
But if I play through UAPP allowing it to take control of DFC it's dead quiet, doesn't make a hiss at all, but also noticed that this way non MQA titles sound worse than at Tidal's app even with the hiss (the problem is that, as you know, if I allow UAPP to control the DFC I can't listen to any other source).
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #808 of 1,192
Final decided to grab a DFC, paired with Shure SE846, being trying a couple of days but have a problem, if a play through Tidal app there's a hiss in low comfortable volume, same hiss appears in UAPP if I don't allow the app to take control of de DAC.
But if I play through UAPP allowing it to take control of DFC it's dead quiet, doesn't make a hiss at all, but also noticed that this way non MQA titles sound worse than at Tidal's app even with the hiss (the problem is that, as you know, if I allow UAPP to control the DFC I can't listen to any other source).
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Using a Samsung by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back