Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
May 22, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #783 of 1,192
Hi, yes, headphone pairings are particularly personal and there's no substitute for testing it yourself because shape of the head and ear canals can make a huge difference.

Sorry, but I think McCol is the guy with the LCD-i3; I bought my DFC from him on another forum (assuming same person based on username). I would love to have a pair of Audeze to try; I wasn't too happy with Oppo PM-3 planars but perhaps DFR and DFC are more capable than the equipment I previously had.
sorry, old age setting in!

May 22, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #784 of 1,192
Hi, yes, headphone pairings are particularly personal and there's no substitute for testing it yourself because shape of the head and ear canals can make a huge difference.

Sorry, but I think McCol is the guy with the LCD-i3; I bought my DFC from him on another forum (assuming same person based on username). I would love to have a pair of Audeze to try; I wasn't too happy with Oppo PM-3 planars but perhaps DFR and DFC are more capable than the equipment I previously had.

Yep, it's me with the LCD-I3. I've also gone and bought another Cobalt after reading through the thread on Av forums!!, Glad I did though, I'm not sure why I didn't take to it first time round but really enjoying it this time.

Saying that I haven't tried the Audeze I3 wit the Cobalt. I use the I3 with the Cipher and an anker adapter so I can use with my Android handset. I may give it a try though as I have the EQ settings to mimic the Cipher DSP on the USB Audio Player Pro.

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #786 of 1,192
Hi!

just want to share my A/B comparing between the DFC and FiiO BTR5.

The FiiO was tested as a DAC, not with its Bluetooth hence the fair comparison. I used the unbalanced single ended 3.5mm jack instead of balance in this test I do not at present have a balanced cable. Maybe next time when I get my next IEM as I understand balanced has a better quality given it used both DACs to drive it.

Source would be Tidal

I use the JH13V2 Pro, a pretty high end IEM. The difference is huge in terms of the quality between the 2, where DFC wins in favor. I have read other posts where some would give up their DFC having cited that the difference is minimal. I would beg to differ.

Dynamic range, layering, sound stage, extension are all so much better with the DFC. The FiiO BTR5 brings you out of the “space” while the DFC brings you right into it.

However despite the noticeable difference, both the DFC and FiiO BTR5 serves different functions. My DFC is my go to DAC for critical listening in the comfort of my chair / room. The FiiO is my go to for on the move, work, Bluetooth capabilities and to a certain extent, convenience while still allowing me to use my wired IEM. For the record, I have been through some of the beet True Wireless Earphones, I just can’t...maybe
I am just spoilt...haha

The FiiO is fantastic for its price point, above average quality and its Bluetooth capabilities are all great. Cherry on the top is its twin mic feature which works fantastic, having tested with my business meetings and didn’t face any issues so far.

My DFC is like my mini mojo, having bested the Chord in view of form factor and superb sonic quality. While I agree that the mojo is just a bit better, I wouldn’t trade off the portability and ease of handling the DFC. No battery charging, no frills, just plug, play and enjoy superb quality music.

Hope this helps, from my perspective.

BTW: I do not use high impedance headphones. Just IEMs and the 99 Classics. Both of which I really love and think have found my peace with.

Jun 1, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #787 of 1,192
Hi!

just want to share my A/B comparing between the DFC and FiiO BTR5.

The FiiO was tested as a DAC, not with its Bluetooth hence the fair comparison. I used the unbalanced single ended 3.5mm jack instead of balance in this test I do not at present have a balanced cable. Maybe next time when I get my next IEM as I understand balanced has a better quality given it used both DACs to drive it.

Source would be Tidal

I use the JH13V2 Pro, a pretty high end IEM. The difference is huge in terms of the quality between the 2, where DFC wins in favor. I have read other posts where some would give up their DFC having cited that the difference is minimal. I would beg to differ.

Dynamic range, layering, sound stage, extension are all so much better with the DFC. The FiiO BTR5 brings you out of the “space” while the DFC brings you right into it.

However despite the noticeable difference, both the DFC and FiiO BTR5 serves different functions. My DFC is my go to DAC for critical listening in the comfort of my chair / room. The FiiO is my go to for on the move, work, Bluetooth capabilities and to a certain extent, convenience while still allowing me to use my wired IEM. For the record, I have been through some of the beet True Wireless Earphones, I just can’t...maybe
I am just spoilt...haha

The FiiO is fantastic for its price point, above average quality and its Bluetooth capabilities are all great. Cherry on the top is its twin mic feature which works fantastic, having tested with my business meetings and didn’t face any issues so far. I've never heard a devices that sounds so much better over balanced than 3.5mm. Some hardly sound different at all.

My DFC is like my mini mojo, having bested the Chord in view of form factor and superb sonic quality. While I agree that the mojo is just a bit better, I wouldn’t trade off the portability and ease of handling the DFC. No battery charging, no frills, just plug, play and enjoy superb quality music.

Hope this helps, from my perspective.

BTW: I do not use high impedance headphones. Just IEMs and the 99 Classics. Both of which I really love and think have found my peace with.

Try it on balanced, 3.5mm is nothing special. I had a DFR and DFC and I'm one who sold the DFC and kept the BTR5.

Not saying the DFC is bad but the BTR5 over balanced can do so much more, sound as good or better and only £85. No brainer. This opinion is with me using Shure SE846's and Noble K10U.

If listening via 3.5mm and didn't need BT, from SQ alone via 3.5mm I would pick the DFC. The BTR5 only uses its twin DAC's and secondary circuit over balanced.

For convenience I would also choose the DFC over Mojo (and did). The Mojo has issues if using a mobile as a source with radio interference.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #788 of 1,192
Try it on balanced, 3.5mm is nothing special. I had a DFR and DFC and I'm one who sold the DFC and kept the BTR5.

Not saying the DFC is bad but the BTR5 over balanced can do so much more, sound as good or better and only £85. No brainer. This opinion is with me using Shure SE846's and Noble K10U.

If listening via 3.5mm and didn't need BT, from SQ alone via 3.5mm I would pick the DFC. The BTR5 only uses its twin DAC's and secondary circuit over balanced.

For convenience I would also choose the DFC over Mojo (and did). The Mojo has issues if using a mobile as a source with radio interference.

Great thank you for sharing your experience too. Will have to look up on the balance connector and can most likely do so on my next upcoming IEM.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #789 of 1,192

what is your take on the Noble versus the Shures? I have the SE846's as well and I am curious about how they stack up against the Noble sound signature. Which filter do you use on the Shures?

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #790 of 1,192
what is your take on the Noble versus the Shures? I have the SE846's as well and I am curious about how they stack up against the Noble sound signature. Which filter do you use on the Shures?

Shure's are still best for fit & durability and I will never sell them. Noble slightly better overall sound quality and only bought them because I managed to get 2nd hand for £470 and like you, always been curious how another "high-end" compares to SE846's.

I was actually pleased how well the K10U did base seeing as SE846 has the custom woofer thing, and highs are better on the K10U.

If I could only keep one set it would still be my SE846's (middle filter it comes installed with so blue I think?)

If your purely interested in the "best" sound quality of the two then K10U.

I'm tending to use my SE846 with short cable and BTR5 when out and the K10U wired at home.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #791 of 1,192
Shure's are still best for fit & durability and I will never sell them. Noble slightly better overall sound quality and only bought them because I managed to get 2nd hand for £470 and like you, always been curious how another "high-end" compares to SE846's.

I was actually pleased how well the K10U did base seeing as SE846 has the custom woofer thing, and highs are better on the K10U.

If I could only keep one set it would still be my SE846's (middle filter it comes installed with so blue I think?)

If your purely interested in the "best" sound quality of the two then K10U.

I'm tending to use my SE846 with short cable and BTR5 when out and the K10U wired at home.
I use the blue filter as well. thanks for taking the time to write that, much appreciated.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #792 of 1,192
Hello everyone,

I was searching for a DAC for a while and I saw written in the website that the Dragonfly Cobalt could be paired with a 250ohm (DT 770) and sound great, which is not true with my device.
My portable computer makes my 32 ohm headphones way louder then my brand new Dragonfly Cobalt. My 250ohms headphones couldn't be quieter pluged on my Dragonfly Cobalt.
Once I try to search for updates or just to see the serial number of my Dragonfly I've nothing.
Got no news from AudioQuest team, did you ever encountered this problem?

windows 10 64bits, usb 3 and everything s:
2 images from a usb software showing power and etc.
One from my Dragonfly and another from a usb 3 flash drive

AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-POWER.jpg
USB-3.jpg

Thank you guys,
Pedro

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #793 of 1,192
Hello everyone,

I was searching for a DAC for a while and I saw written in the website that the Dragonfly Cobalt could be paired with a 250ohm (DT 770) and sound great, which is not true with my device.
My portable computer makes my 32 ohm headphones way louder then my brand new Dragonfly Cobalt. My 250ohms headphones couldn't be quieter pluged on my Dragonfly Cobalt.
Once I try to search for updates or just to see the serial number of my Dragonfly I've nothing.
Got no news from AudioQuest team, did you ever encountered this problem?

windows 10 64bits, usb 3 and everything s:
2 images from a usb software showing power and etc.
One from my Dragonfly and another from a usb 3 flash drive

AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-POWER.jpg
USB-3.jpg

Thank you guys,
Pedro

Something‘s wrong with a volume setting on your windows pc and/or your music app. DFC can output up to 2V. At that level, your head would explode if you‘ve tried this.

However, DT770 250 Ohm is a very bad match for DFC, it will most probably distort at higher volumes. You need an amp for DT770, DFC is just a DAC...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #794 of 1,192
Thank you for your time !
I followed the guide from DFC completly. Even with the 32ohm the sound sucks, the jack from my computer is way better than the sound from DFC, with the same settings. Updated drivers from usb and everything. Nothing is working.
Wasn't expecting the 250ohms to work at 100% was just expecting to have them to be decently driven by DFC but is so quiet :|
( Any idea of amp to pair with the DFC on a budget ? )
Thank you again

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #795 of 1,192
Thank you for your time !
I followed the guide from DFC completly. Even with the 32ohm the sound sucks, the jack from my computer is way better than the sound from DFC, with the same settings. Updated drivers from usb and everything. Nothing is working.
Wasn't expecting the 250ohms to work at 100% was just expecting to have them to be decently driven by DFC but is so quiet :|
( Any idea of amp to pair with the DFC on a budget ? )
Thank you again
I use Fiio A5 as a mobile amp. That one would easily drive your Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back