Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
May 15, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #751 of 1,192
I wouldn't call them bright. They're definitely not dark though. The i4 EQ that Audeze uses (and currently recommend for the i3 too) reduces the area around 10k by 8dB(!) so maybe they do have some spike that needs addressing.

I don't know, right now I'm having trouble fully enjoying the DFC even with EQ toning the treble down. When I compare it to the Mojo, the latter simply has better resolution. Better texture. Also a blacker background.
I've decided to keep DFC on, playing some music, in the hope that some break in actually does exist and that maybe it will improve.
I honestly enjoy the headphone jack of my LG v20 better right now.
I've changed my mind about components before so I'm going to give it time...

that LG sounds better than a DFC is strange, as LG uses lower grade ESS components. Sounds almost like something‘s wrong in a combination of your source and DFC... DFC actually has a blacker background with SE846 than Mojo...It somehow sounds like you are unintentionally reducing dynamic range because of SW volume reduction, at the same time increasing gain, or something similar... To be sure that everything‘s fine in a digital department, I‘d do the following as an experiment:

If you are not already subscribing to Tidal, subscribe and play some Masters albums. If DFC is decoding correctly and is indeed getting bit-perfect data, it should change color to purple. Play it with UAPP, not with the tidal‘s own app...

If everything‘s working correctly - well, then it‘s probably really a bad matching between DFC and your headphones...

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #752 of 1,192
that LG sounds better than a DFC is strange, as LG uses lower grade ESS components. Sounds almost like something‘s wrong in a combination of your source and DFC... DFC actually has a blacker background with SE846 than Mojo...It somehow sounds like you are unintentionally reducing dynamic range because of SW volume reduction, at the same time increasing gain, or something similar... To be sure that everything‘s fine in a digital department, I‘d do the following as an experiment:

If you are not already subscribing to Tidal, subscribe and play some Masters albums. If DFC is decoding correctly and is indeed getting bit-perfect data, it should change color to purple. Play it with UAPP, not with the tidal‘s own app...

If everything‘s working correctly - well, then it‘s probably really a bad matching between DFC and your headphones...

Thanks. I'm successfully playing MQA using UAPP (purple light). Although a lot of the time I prefer to use the EQ so can't get full MQA.
When I mentioned a black background I didn't mean hissing or some audible noise. I meant the sensation that each instrument is distinct and emerges from a "black background" in a smooth and clean way. It's hard to describe. I apologize if I misused the term.

May 15, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #753 of 1,192
Thanks. I'm successfully playing MQA using UAPP (purple light). Although a lot of the time I prefer to use the EQ so can't get full MQA.
When I mentioned a black background I didn't mean hissing or some audible noise. I meant the sensation that each instrument is distinct and emerges from a "black background" in a smooth and clean way. It's hard to describe. I apologize if I misused the term.
Well, then I guess DFC is not for you, at least not with those headphones... It can‘t be impedance mismatch neither, as the output impedance of DFC is close to 0. At this point I ran out of further suggestions... :)

May 15, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #754 of 1,192
I'm going to try my lcd i3 later tonight with the cobalt, see if I have the same issue, I've yet to try them with it.

May 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #756 of 1,192
I would say my impressions are somewhat similar to those of this guy:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...lt-loaner-program.911049/page-2#post-15276361

@a-LeXx, you seem to know a lot about the technical workings of dac/amps. What is your response to the bad measurements of the DFC?
Nothing of particular importance when paired with sensitive IEMs or headphones. One reason for the bad measurements was clipping at max output levels, the second reason is usage of minimum phase slow roll-off filter, which is known to measure not that nicely, but sounds better to some people than other filters (softer treble, less digital glare and so on). What‘s important - in the area of noise, crosstalk, dynamic range DFC measures very nicely. A bit higher THD compared to DFR is not really audible, can be ignored...

May 15, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #757 of 1,192
@a-LeXx, you seem to know a lot about the technical workings of dac/amps. What is your response to the bad measurements of the DFC?

No disrepect to keen enthusiastic bloggers, but my trust lies wholly with proper professional reviewers. Their actual measurements did not identify any bad results with the Cobalt.
Hi-Fi News Cobalt Review
Stereophile Cobalt Review
Admittedly, the Stereophile reviewer did comment on some measured clipping with very low impedance headphones at maximum output. But this was not audible to the reviewer.

May 16, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #758 of 1,192
No disrepect to keen enthusiastic bloggers, but my trust lies wholly with proper professional reviewers. Their actual measurements did not identify any bad results with the Cobalt.
Hi-Fi News Cobalt Review
Stereophile Cobalt Review
Admittedly, the Stereophile reviewer did comment on some measured clipping with very low impedance headphones at maximum output. But this was not audible to the reviewer.
Agree. But actually the measurements of Stereophile correspond to those of Archimago and that another blogger, don‘t remember his name... Those 2 guys performed even a few other measurements where DFC measures particularly well. However, they both exaggerated the fact that DFC shows clipping when overloaded (not a real problem) and higher THD and IMD which are both a result of using a not very effective digital filter (minimum phase slow roll-off). Also alias suppression of this filter is expectedly bad, again, this is a nature of the filter, those aliasing frequencies shouldn’t be audible...

However, usage of this filter was a business decision made by AQ, as without it DFC would sound almost identical to DFR (they use exactly the same output stage). So, AQ decided to introduce another ‚audiophile‘ flavor, which is known for bad measurements...
So, basically, what we hear with both DFR and DFC is a DAC sound signature with different filters, as the output stage of both is as minimalistic as it can get, no real amplifier (unity gain), just a buffer to source some current for the headphones.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #759 of 1,192
However, usage of this filter was a business decision made by AQ, as without it DFC would sound almost identical to DFR (they use exactly the same output stage). So, AQ decided to introduce another ‚audiophile‘ flavor, which is known for bad measurements...
So, basically, what we hear with both DFR and DFC is a DAC sound signature with different filters, as the output stage of both is as minimalistic as it can get, no real amplifier (unity gain), just a buffer to source some current for the headphones.
Yes, agree. I have both and DFR is more hi-fi flavour, and DFC is more relaxed and natural flavour.
Everybody has their own preference which flavour suits them best.

May 16, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #760 of 1,192
Yes, agree. I have both and DFR is more hi-fi flavour, and DFC is more relaxed and natural flavour.
Everybody has their own preference which flavour suits them best.

Right, it also depends on pairing with headphones. E.g. T5p.2 tend to sound a bit metallic in treble and exaggerate digital glare with some sources. On DFC however, it‘s very smooth, no that unnatural ‚shimmer‘. However I prefer how my HD600 sounds on DFR vs DFC, it‘s somehow livelier and more energetic (with an additional amp in both cases, as HD600 sounds too flat and boring on both DFR/DFC W/o an amp)

May 16, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #761 of 1,192
I’ve bought one of these and paired it with an iPhone 11 Pro and some periodic be items. Sounds great, perfect portable solution

May 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #762 of 1,192
However I prefer how my HD600 sounds on DFR vs DFC, it‘s somehow livelier and more energetic (with an additional amp in both cases, as HD600 sounds too flat and boring on both DFR/DFC W/o an amp)
I kept my HD600 in a cupboard for years and years because it was so unexciting and undynamic to listen to. Then I got the DFR and, wow that was the first time I started to appreciate the strengths of the HD600!

May 16, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #763 of 1,192
I kept my HD600 in a cupboard for years and years because it was so unexciting and undynamic to listen to. Then I got the DFR and, wow that was the first time I started to appreciate the strengths of the HD600!
Then try to add a fiio A5 amp and use it on a high gain. Doesn't cost much, but sounds really magical with HD600.

It was exactly the same with me, I kept my HD600 in a cupboard because I found it boring for over 10 years. Actually I didn't even know I still had them, thought I gave them away. Then I found them by accident and decided to give them another chance.

With DFR and A5 on high gain the HD600 really has some bass (even without added bass, which I never use) , and sounds anything but boring, even better than on my big tube hybrid amp... For sound quality I appreciate it better than my $1k headphones/iems. It's a pity I rarely have a chance to listen to them since it's an open design and is not really cimpatible with my family situation...

May 17, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #764 of 1,192
Anyone looking for a new Cobalt in box, PM me. Audioquest replaced mine with a brand new one. Still sealed in box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back