Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Feb 29, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #661 of 1,192
The ESS 9281 Pro chip is also used in the Hilidac Beam 2 and the Zorloo Ztella dongle.

First measurements of the latter were not that favourable https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lla-mqa-phone-headphone-adapter-review.11785/

I own the Zorloo Ztella and am nonetheless quite happy with it. The first impressions soundwise are totally ok for me especially regarding its very good form factor. It is extremely compact and therefore very easy and comfortable to use with my Galaxy Note 9.

And the (still quite seldom) MQA capability is a nice addon if one uses the Tidal service.

If looking for the best sound quality possible a device with an ESS 9038 chip might still be the better option imo.

Whether the Cobalt is worth the higher price tag? I doubt that, though I liked it, when I once had the opportunity to listen to it. I guess I will instead buy an E1DA 9038S and D (which both lack MQA though).

Ah I see. I didnt know these DACs existed... but I think I’m just going to go ahead and get the cobalt. I’m a fan of the dragonfly red’s sound signature and i hear the cobalt tales that and improves upon it. I also have the ifi purifier, silencer, idefender with ifi external power as well as the ibasso pb3 mockingbird amp that I use all in my chain with a balanced output to give me amazing results. So I think I’ll be happy with the cobalt as it fits nicely in my setup. :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #662 of 1,192
The ESS 9281 Pro chip is also used in the Hilidac Beam 2 and the Zorloo Ztella dongle.

First measurements of the latter were not that favourable https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lla-mqa-phone-headphone-adapter-review.11785/

I own the Zorloo Ztella and am nonetheless quite happy with it. The first impressions soundwise are totally ok for me especially regarding its very good form factor. It is extremely compact and therefore very easy and comfortable to use with my Galaxy Note 9.

And the (still quite seldom) MQA capability is a nice addon if one uses the Tidal service.

If looking for the best sound quality possible a device with an ESS 9038 chip might still be the better option imo.

Whether the Cobalt is worth the higher price tag? I doubt that, though I liked it, when I once had the opportunity to listen to it. I guess I will instead buy an E1DA 9038S and D (which both lack MQA though).

I don‘t get why you are saying that Zorloo Ztella‘s measurements were not favorable on audioscience forum. Actually it measured very good for a dongle, and even got a rare Amir‘s recommendation!
And that form factor is different from Earmen, I guess that uses better passive components, e.g. better caps...

Anyway, even that dongle provides more juice (2 times more) than a DFR/DFC. Plenty for such a tiny device!
As always, how a device sounds will depend on actual implementation, filter choice and so on... All Sabre DACs are very flexible in that department...

Mar 1, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #663 of 1,192
I don‘t get why you are saying that Zorloo Ztella‘s measurements were not favorable on audioscience forum. Actually it measured very good for a dongle, and even got a rare Amir‘s recommendation!
And that form factor is different from Earmen, I guess that uses better passive components, e.g. better caps...

Anyway, even that dongle provides more juice (2 times more) than a DFR/DFC. Plenty for such a tiny device!
As always, how a device sounds will depend on actual implementation, filter choice and so on... All Sabre DACs are very flexible in that department...
The Hidisz S8 and E1DA measured really good for a dongle. If you have a look at the SINAD overview chart in the review you can see the Ztella in the orange section while some dongles are listed in the better green and blue sections... Jitter and dynamic range were also not the best.

So measurement wise the Ztella is definitely not one of the best dongles Amir has measured so far.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #664 of 1,192
The Hidisz S8 and E1DA measured really good for a dongle. If you have a look at the SINAD overview chart in the review you can see the Ztella in the orange section while some dongles are listed in the better green and blue sections... Jitter and dynamic range were also not the best.

So measurement wise the Ztella is definitely not one of the best dongles Amir has measured so far.

Hidisz S8 and E1DA are full-size dongles comparable to DFR/DFC, Ztella is one in a size of an apple dongle, not comparable at all. In turn, Ztella offers much more power than usual micro-dongles, even more than a full-size DFR... Of course the numbers can‘t be perfect with this power and size, because proper filtering to improve SNR/ Dynamic range requires space... Even with it‘s tiny size Ztella offers better numbers than DFR/DFC, with surprisingly even more power...

That‘s also what Amir said, that‘s why his full recommendation for the product. And I guess future full-size dongles based on the same ESS chip will offer better filtering, with better numbers (not that the numbers of Ztella were really bad)

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #665 of 1,192
So actually, I changed my mind. I did NOT go with the cobalt. I instead went for the ifi xdsd. I already have the Dragonfly Red and felt it was time to try something a bit different. Also I thought that the cobalt wasnt going to be a huge jump from the Red enough to justify a $300 price tag. Also, the xdsd has S-Balanced mode which is a 3.5mm output jack that can delineate between a balanced connection or SE connection. Pretty excited to hear the Balanced output on it, which the Cobalt does not have... and all my headphones are primarily using Balanced TRRS cables. I would have gone with the micro idsd BL, but it was $200 too much for me over the xdsd, so this is compromise. :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #666 of 1,192
So what are good iems to pair with the cobalt out of my phone?

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #667 of 1,192
So what are good iems to pair with the cobalt out of my phone?
It really depends entirely on your musical taste and the sound signature you are looking for.

Technically speaking the only issue would be the electrical damping factor which recommends that the output impedance should not exceed 1/8th of the nominal impedance of the headphones. The output impedance of the DFC is of 0.65 ohms therefore even wanting to round up to a whole number of 1 ohm so long as you stick to headphones with a minimum nominal impedance of 8ohms you should be good to go.

I have been using the DFC with the Shure 846s (which have a nominal impedance of only 9 ohms) for the last few months and have never heard any distortion etc.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #668 of 1,192
So actually, I changed my mind. I did NOT go with the cobalt. I instead went for the ifi xdsd. I already have the Dragonfly Red and felt it was time to try something a bit different. Also I thought that the cobalt wasnt going to be a huge jump from the Red enough to justify a $300 price tag. Also, the xdsd has S-Balanced mode which is a 3.5mm output jack that can delineate between a balanced connection or SE connection. Pretty excited to hear the Balanced output on it, which the Cobalt does not have... and all my headphones are primarily using Balanced TRRS cables. I would have gone with the micro idsd BL, but it was $200 too much for me over the xdsd, so this is compromise. :)
having owned both the DFR and the DFC, so long as the form factor was not a serious issue, I think you made the right decision as I don't think there is a huge difference between the two. Knowing I could sell the DFR on, I bought the DFC and I decided to sell the DFR and keep the DFC as I believed it to be slightly better, but I would not own both of them as they are too similar.

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #669 of 1,192
having owned both the DFR and the DFC, so long as the form factor was not a serious issue, I think you made the right decision as I don't think there is a huge difference between the two. Knowing I could sell the DFR on, I bought the DFC and I decided to sell the DFR and keep the DFC as I believed it to be slightly better, but I would not own both of them as they are too similar.

Awesome. Glad to get confirmation that I made the right choice. lol. And after spending a few days with the xdsd, Im loving it so far and am very glad with my decision to get it. The ONLY gripe I have with it is that the lower mids are slightly recessed but not lacking detail at all. Just pushed back a bit. If anything, I've heard things in the mids with the xdsd that I haven't heard before with the DFR. Which is pretty amazing. Everything about this DAC/Amp is super smooth and beautiful. Soundstage on it, although not the biggest I've heard, is definitely a huge jump from the DFR. And this is only using a SE cable. Can't wait to hear the difference with my balanced cable once I get my adapter for the 3.5mm output.

@juansan I was thinking to eventually replace my DFR with the Cobalt at some point because I've heard it has wider soundstage and more detail than the DFR. Since you have both, is that the impression that you got? Or is it not worth replacing at all?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #671 of 1,192
Hey guys, Just picked up a pair of Audioquest Night Owls. Looking at either a Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Cobalt to pair with these out of my phone. The form factor of the Dragonfly's are really important for me to be able to stick my phone in my pocket as I walk around the house, otherwise might have considered the Mojo or something similar. From what I understand, a little different sound signature on each. Anyone have any experience with either the Red or Cobalt with the NOs? Thanks! Greg
I have the Red as well as a es100. While I prefer the sound of the Sabre dac, the es100 has a self contained battery as well as controls on the device. That may be appealing to you if you're going to let it hang from your pocket as I do. I use the Red mainly at home.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #672 of 1,192
Awesome. Glad to get confirmation that I made the right choice. lol. And after spending a few days with the xdsd, Im loving it so far and am very glad with my decision to get it. The ONLY gripe I have with it is that the lower mids are slightly recessed but not lacking detail at all. Just pushed back a bit. If anything, I've heard things in the mids with the xdsd that I haven't heard before with the DFR. Which is pretty amazing. Everything about this DAC/Amp is super smooth and beautiful. Soundstage on it, although not the biggest I've heard, is definitely a huge jump from the DFR. And this is only using a SE cable. Can't wait to hear the difference with my balanced cable once I get my adapter for the 3.5mm output.

@juansan I was thinking to eventually replace my DFR with the Cobalt at some point because I've heard it has wider soundstage and more detail than the DFR. Since you have both, is that the impression that you got? Or is it not worth replacing at all?
To be honest I don't remember a startling difference in the soundstage, the most noticeable thing was a slightly clearer and cleaner sound with micro details being ever so slightly more present and easier to be picked up, certainly nothing like a night a day difference although definitely noticeable.

Again, no real change in the soundstage, HOWEVER please note that at the time I was using B&W P7s and Shure SE425s, NOT the level of headphones I am using now which could possibly reveal much greater differences.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #673 of 1,192
To be honest I don't remember a startling difference in the soundstage, the most noticeable thing was a slightly clearer and cleaner sound with micro details being ever so slightly more present and easier to be picked up, certainly nothing like a night a day difference although definitely noticeable.

Again, no real change in the soundstage, HOWEVER please note that at the time I was using B&W P7s and Shure SE425s, NOT the level of headphones I am using now which could possibly reveal much greater differences.

I see. Ya I think I would hear the difference between the two as I have the CA Atlas. Those headphones are pretty detailed so I would probably tell the difference fairly easily. But regardless, I went ahead and purchased the xCan in addition to the xdsd that I just got, so I’m definitely strapped for cash now and not gonna be able to get the cobalt for awhile. lol. But I’m looking forward to seeing how the red sounds with the xCan since it has both SE and balanced inputs and outputs. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back