Dragonfly COBALT vs.............Discussions
Jul 23, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #181 of 1,192
AudioQuest is really great at taking in all feedbacks and looking into them. I highly recommend you email them your post and see what they say. And please share back your findings with us. You can email them at:
info@audioquest.com
Yes, I will be reporting this to AQ. Thanks for the thought.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #182 of 1,192
I've had the chance to sit with the Dragonfly Red and Cobalt side by side for a bit of critical listening. I have to say, I think the improvement is substantial. The Dragonfly Cobalt is clearer sounding and more detailed, with a neutral tuning. The Dragonfly Red is "warm and fuzzy" in comparison.

The Dragonfly Cobalt is everything good about the Dragonfly Red, but improved by a substantial margin. More refined across the board.

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #183 of 1,192
I've had the chance to sit with the Dragonfly Red and Cobalt side by side for a bit of critical listening. I have to say, I think the improvement is substantial. The Dragonfly Cobalt is clearer sounding and more detailed, with a neutral tuning. The Dragonfly Red is "warm and fuzzy" in comparison.

The Dragonfly Cobalt is everything good about the Dragonfly Red, but improved by a substantial margin. More refined across the board.
Damn it, I hope you are right because you just made me buy a Cobalt to replace my Red with.

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #184 of 1,192

Right on the nose, couldn't agree more, I'm loving mine!:)

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #185 of 1,192
Just got my DFC and it is rather a big improvement in sound quality over DFR which I owned 3 times and sold it because I found its tuning somewhat unnatural as if something was missing. I just couldn't get used to it. DFC sounds way more natural and musical. I think it's a keeper unless the new toy syndrome wears off in a week or two.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #186 of 1,192
All of you new DFC owners....is your USB plug and/or HO jack wiggly?

I had to do some testing with the audio glitches I experience with the DFC before sending an email off to AQ support. I can safely say it is the DFC since I can listen to the same audio file without DFC and everything is fine. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. We shall see.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #189 of 1,192
FFE57078-6688-4E74-BE9C-76317B7CC618.jpeg

Just received this little beast today. Totally blown away by its sound, and then you realise how small it is. Truly amazed.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #190 of 1,192
I'm wondering if anybody has tested the DFC vs the DFR in terms of battery usage? If you want to do a not-quite-scientific test, you could use each for a couple of hours in airplane mode and record how much each uses.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #191 of 1,192
I'm wondering if anybody has tested the DFC vs the DFR in terms of battery usage? If you want to do a not-quite-scientific test, you could use each for a couple of hours in airplane mode and record how much each uses.

I have. Cobalt is definitely an improvement over Red in regardes to battery. Also Cobalt stays completely cool to the touch with prolonged use.

I could track,hours/percentages when I have time.

I have other issues with Cobalt tho that need to be resolved.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #192 of 1,192
I have. Cobalt is definitely an improvement over Red in regardes to battery. Also Cobalt stays completely cool to the touch with prolonged use.

I could track,hours/percentages when I have time.

I have other issues with Cobalt tho that need to be resolved.
What other issues are you having? Have you (or anyone else) had the sound cut off (play changes to stop) at loudest volumes? This happened with my IE800 and IE800S.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #193 of 1,192
Wow. I am comparing the Red and the Cobalt as I am typing this.

The most profound difference is the very significant improvement to image stability, specificity and overall sense of presence.

It is like going from 60hz to a 90hz monitor with the Cobalt, the instruments "update" more frequently which makes it easier to follow what is happening.

I am using 3D songs on Youtube such as this one to make it easier when comparing.

The Red goes over the edge in the treble and it starts to offend in the most intense parts of the song, meanwhile the Cobalt walks the line just right.

There is more air with the Cobalt too, but it is not apparent right away I would say.

Bass feels more positional.

Whenever I put the Red on I just want to hurry back to the Cobalt.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #194 of 1,192
Wow. I am comparing the Red and the Cobalt as I am typing this.

The most profound difference is the very significant improvement to image stability, specificity and overall sense of presence.

It is like going from 60hz to a 90hz monitor with the Cobalt, the instruments "update" more frequently which makes it easier to follow what is happening.

I am using 3D songs on Youtube such as this one to make it easier when comparing.

The Red goes over the edge in the treble and it starts to offend in the most intense parts of the song, meanwhile the Cobalt walks the line just right.

There is more air with the Cobalt too, but it is not apparent right away I would say.

Bass feels more positional.

Whenever I put the Red on I just want to hurry back to the Cobalt.

Fantastic review! Meticulously written and very melodic. I would love to know your opinion on how the Cobalt compares to the Mojo (sound-wise only since there is no comparison as far as their form factor).

I would also love to know if you have any experience with the IE800 IEMs, and if so, what portable dac/amp you think is the best match for them. Thank you!

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #195 of 1,192
Fantastic review! Meticulously written and very melodic. I would love to know your opinion on how the Cobalt compares to the Mojo (sound-wise only since there is no comparison as far as their form factor).

I would also love to know if you have any experience with the IE800 IEMs, and if so, what portable dac/amp you think is the best match for them. Thank you!

Thank you!

So, I actually do own the Mojo, but I do not have any experience with the IE800's unfortunately so I can't help you there.

I am currently using the 1More Quad Driver which retailed for $199 back in 2017 ($149 today). It has fallen down in the performance rankings in recent years but I still think it has above average technicalities for the price, especially stage and separation.

So, I have never been a huge fan of the Mojo due to a few things; I am a stage and separation addict. Meaning, I like a vast and clearly contrasted experience where I can hear instruments in their own space on a larger canvas.

I think the Mojo is very mature sounding and very detailed but the way it achieves this is by sacrificing stage size and a sense of space. Everything is a bit closer to you as a listener almost to the point of claustrophoby.

There is also a lesser degree of 3D with the Mojo, it is more towards 2D in sound (less depth to the sound essentially). The upside is as mentioned before, greater detail retrieval of the "surface" of every instrument (more texture) but loose dimensionality in doing so (shape and form).

For these reasons, I even like the Red above Mojo but I am perhaps in the minority there. Cobalt, however, should be more of a tossup for most people. I have not used my Mojo for close to a year, at home or on the go.

Currently waiting on an adapter cable so that I can use my Oriolus Reborn ($900 Hybrid IEM with $200 copper cable) with the Cobalt, I have very high hopes for the combo. Also have a Jitterbug on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back