Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #556 of 583
I'm not too familiar with it sorry other than it has been out for a while, released 2017 I think. Unless you could get a very good deal on it I'd be inclined to get a sub-$100 (maybe $150 at a stretch) USB isolator /regenerator to pair with the u2Pro, otherwise risking getting into overcapitalisation territory cost wise. Once you're talking $300+ combined you could potentially pick up a second hand U18 or maybe DI-20 for not a lot more.
Thanks for the reply, I found a seller selling a used Iso Regen for $150, and I bought the u2p 957 directly from Leaf Audio on taobao for $110

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #557 of 583
Thanks for the reply, I found a seller selling a used Iso Regen for $150, and I bought the u2p 957 directly from Leaf Audio on taobao for $110
I am against using "regenerators". Search couple pages back, you will hear the same. It is either a cheat or it has a $5 generic USB 2.0 hub chip inside which is not benefiting on a short connection. Their real function is redirecting ground loops, the same as cheaper one's like iDefender. In the case of ISO Regen, it is one of a few that use a real isolation, but but a chip is discontinued for a reason. There are couple useless features like Crystek ultra low noise oscilator and USB 3.1 (sic!) hub chip for attracting audiphile market.

U2Pro needs isolator device between host. It is only possible at a reasonable price now with a new generation of chips which are 100% transparent to the USB protocol. Get a device with a new chip, you will have no compatibility problems. It is why we are discussing isolators in this thread, it looks like a game changer for me. Isolator fills a gap between U2Pro and a real DDC.

If you have iDefender, it still can be used. And if you have isolator device of a new generation, those two devices can be still used with a real DDC. Do not waste money for the obsolete products.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #558 of 583
Hi all. Thanks for this thread and the great recommendations. I purchased the Douk Audio U2 PRO, and it has been great feeding my Chord Mojo via optical. I'm using the Windows 10 built in UAC2 driver, which works great with Tidal HiFi in exclusive mode. The Mojo is so much more stable now and less subject to EMI interference and random shutoffs. I think sound quality is quite improved as well. (Of course I didn't do double blind A/B tests--but playing like it should versus frequently pausing the music/disappearing from device manager is objectively and measurably a heckuvalot of sonic improvement in any event :o2smile: ).

Here's my question. In Exclusive Mode, the Windows mixer is disabled as it should be. I don't see the animated levels going up and down in Windows Volume Mixer, and no other apps or browsers can play sound to this device while Tidal is playing. But why does the Windows volume fader still work to control the sound level? I see the Mojo's glowing orb is the correct color for the Tidal stream's sample rate (as opposed to the color it glows for Windows system sample rate), even if I lower the volume with the Windows slider. Is this UAC2 hardware volume control--i.e., Windows telling the Douk over USB to lower the volume? I don't see hardware volume control feature listed anywhere on on the doukaudio webpage. If so, it's still bit-perfect even when volume-lowered through the Windows slider, right? Thanks.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #559 of 583
Hi all. Thanks for this thread and the great recommendations. I purchased the Douk Audio U2 PRO, and it has been great feeding my Chord Mojo via optical. I'm using the Windows 10 built in UAC2 driver, which works great with Tidal HiFi in exclusive mode. The Mojo is so much more stable now and less subject to EMI interference and random shutoffs. I think sound quality is quite improved as well. (Of course I didn't do double blind A/B tests--but playing like it should versus frequently pausing the music/disappearing from device manager is objectively and measurably a heckuvalot of sonic improvement in any event :o2smile: ).

Here's my question. In Exclusive Mode, the Windows mixer is disabled as it should be. I don't see the animated levels going up and down in Windows Volume Mixer, and no other apps or browsers can play sound to this device while Tidal is playing. But why does the Windows volume fader still work to control the sound level? I see the Mojo's glowing orb is the correct color for the Tidal stream's sample rate (as opposed to the color it glows for Windows system sample rate), even if I lower the volume with the Windows slider. Is this UAC2 hardware volume control--i.e., Windows telling the Douk over USB to lower the volume? I don't see hardware volume control feature listed anywhere on on the doukaudio webpage. If so, it's still bit-perfect even when volume-lowered through the Windows slider, right? Thanks.
It is still great to see folks getting the Douk and putting it to successful use!

I can't help with the Widows question as I am pretty much a MAC user, I do hope you enjoy the Douk for quite some time to come!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #561 of 583
Short answer, not. With U2Pro bit-perfect transfer is only when volume is at 100% level in the Exclusive mode. More about...

Hardware volume control is a feature of UAC 2.0 protocol. DAC reports in the descriptor table such capability and the player adjusts volume by sending a command instead altering datastream. In this case U2Pro has no any feedback from a DAC and do not process volume itself. It reports to the host "no hardware volume control". Your finding is correct.

Question is, why Windows volume slider moves in the WASAPI Exclusive mode? In fact, it shouldn't, as Windows mixer is bypassed, right? Windows 10 has a feature that allows player to integrate volume indicator with Windows. What you see is just result of interaction of the player with Windows volume applet in both directions. In Exclusive mode volume is processed by a player, it may suggest something else, but is not. In Foobar 2000 there is an option to disable volume integration with Windows.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #562 of 583
I am against using "regenerators". Search couple pages back, you will hear the same. It is either a cheat or it has a $5 generic USB 2.0 hub chip inside which is not benefiting on a short connection. Their real function is redirecting ground loops, the same as cheaper one's like iDefender. In the case of ISO Regen, it is one of a few that use a real isolation, but but a chip is discontinued for a reason. There are couple useless features like Crystek ultra low noise oscilator and USB 3.1 (sic!) hub chip for attracting audiphile market.

U2Pro needs isolator device between host. It is only possible at a reasonable price now with a new generation of chips which are 100% transparent to the USB protocol. Get a device with a new chip, you will have no compatibility problems. It is why we are discussing isolators in this thread, it looks like a game changer for me. Isolator fills a gap between U2Pro and a real DDC.

If you have iDefender, it still can be used. And if you have isolator device of a new generation, those two devices can be still used with a real DDC. Do not waste money for the obsolete products.
Hi, is this the one to use with U2Pro althought it has no external power supply port?

Hifime High-Speed USB Isolator v2​

Thank you!

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #563 of 583
Hi, is this the one to use with U2Pro althought it has no external power supply port?

Hifime High-Speed USB Isolator v2

Thank you!
Hey... This is a troll. You know that I prefer devices with option for external power. And this dongle should not cost more than $40. There were posted links to the one with a solid metal enclosure and a photo of the PCB, it costs the same.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #564 of 583
Hey... This is a troll. You know that I prefer devices with option for external power. And this dongle should not cost more than $40. There were posted links to the one with a solid metal enclosure and a photo of the PCB, it costs the same.
Hi sajunky, thank you for your advice. That one you mean is sold out. Are there alternatives on aliexpress?
Kind regards.

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #565 of 583
Thank you @iFi audio for a feedback. I am sure you already have something on the drawing board. It would be a safe purchase. Is something coming based on the TI ISOUSB211 chip?
:)

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #566 of 583
Thank you @iFi audio for a feedback. I am sure you already have something on the drawing board. It would be a safe purchase. Is something coming based on the TI ISOUSB211 chip?
:)
Hi,

Not that I can comment directly on, although I have mentioned it in meetings there are currently no plans for it. I would certainly try to drop a hint if there was, lol

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #567 of 583
Hi sajunky, thank you for your advice. That one you mean is sold out. Are there alternatives on aliexpress?
Kind regards.
Did you click on the "Find similar items" button? There is one suggestion with the same product, but more expensive and no feedback. It will be more soon. New products appear on the baobao earlier, but you need forwarding agent.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #568 of 583
Did you click on the "Find similar items" button? There is one suggestion with the same product, but more expensive and no feedback. It will be more soon. New products appear on the baobao earlier, but you need forwarding agent.
Ich habe gerade diesen erstaunlichen Artikel auf AliExpress gefunden. Probiere ihn aus! 34,09€ 50% Rabatt | USB 3,0 Audio Noise Eliminator/Suppressor/Adapter-Wisd schall dämpfer USB-Daten und Power Noise Filter, aktive Geräusch unterdrückung
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIb7Dc5

Is this the one you mean?

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #569 of 583
Short answer, not. With U2Pro bit-perfect transfer is only when volume is at 100% level in the Exclusive mode. More about...

Hardware volume control is a feature of UAC 2.0 protocol. DAC reports in the descriptor table such capability and the player adjusts volume by sending a command instead altering datastream. In this case U2Pro has no any feedback from a DAC and do not process volume itself. It reports to the host "no hardware volume control". Your finding is correct.

Question is, why Windows volume slider moves in the WASAPI Exclusive mode? In fact, it shouldn't, as Windows mixer is bypassed, right? Windows 10 has a feature that allows player to integrate volume indicator with Windows. What you see is just result of interaction of the player with Windows volume applet in both directions. In Exclusive mode volume is processed by a player, it may suggest something else, but is not. In Foobar 2000 there is an option to disable volume integration with Windows.
Thanks for the reply! Your explanation makes perfect sense. What threw me is that I was using Force volume in Tidal, and so the volume control in the Tidal app was greyed out/disabled. When I turned off Force volume (but still in Exclusive mode), then I saw exactly the behavior you're saying. The Windows master volume slider controlled the volume control in the Tidal app (most of the time) and vice versa. The behavior was basically the same as what I originally described, so I think you've nailed it here. I guess there's a bug in Tidal that it allows the app to secretly lower volume based on Windows integration even when you have Exclusive Mode+Force volume set and the volume control is greyed out/disabled? Weird. In any event, I will keep volume at 100% to keep it bit perfect.

(As an aside, there is some misleading/misinformation circulating around the web that if your Windows master volume slider works while in Exclusive mode, that is proof that you have hardware volume control. For example, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...he-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/page-16 . Doesn't appear necessarily so.)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #570 of 583
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back