Douk Audio U2 Pro DDC - Poorman DDC for an affordable & clean digital signal
Jul 18, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #496 of 614
It`s EverSolo DMP-A6.

Well, this is interesting cause my previous source was Daphile based miniItx pc. Comparing PC usb out to Eversolo`s I found that there is a difference in favor to Eversolo, but not that much as I expected. In both cases putting Topping H-1 isolator between source and DAC improvemt was obvoius but still Eversolo was slightly better.
There`s another BUt thou:
coax and optical are noticably better from sub output (even with isolator). Tosling being better then coax.
At the moment i`m using optical out.

I would live it that way but there is some issue with DoP with both SPIDF outputs. I have to way to check if it`s source or DAC but 192/24 playback is flawless, DSD64 on the other hand is not.

The DAC I`m using is Gustard X-16.

I`ve bought SMSL just moment ago because it fits Gustard I2S standard and there was crazy discount AND I`ll have it on Wednesday cause it was available on Polish amazon.

So, my plan is to make simple connection from A6`s usb out to SMSL to Gustards I2S.
Then I`ll try to put isolator between A6 and SMSL.
The Eversolo A6 also has the Xmos 316 usb chip. And no doubt good clocks. In my understanding it doesn't change anything. But some people have testified to improvements with an extra DDC or even several. I'm not saying it won't work but my mind resists the idea.

Jul 18, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #497 of 614
The Eversolo A6 also has the Xmos 316 usb chip. And no doubt good clocks. In my understanding it doesn't change anything. But some people have testified to improvements with an extra DDC or even several. I'm not saying it won't work but my mind resists the idea.
I just need to try this, 50$ is not much for sake of experiment :D But yes, without proper input isolation of DDC I don`t think that converting usb to I2S may change anything.

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #498 of 614
I'm not saying it won't work but my mind resists the idea.
So,
I`ve spent whole day playing back forth my fav tracks for equipment tests.
Current path:
A6>random usb cable>Topping HS-1>random usb cable>SMSL PO100Pro>25cm HDMI cable>Gustard X16>Topping A90d>Dan Clarke Aeon 2 Closed

My conclusion is simple: in this configuration I2S is a winner.
I must admit that I haven`t try I2S without isolator.
I was amazed from a start :wink:

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #499 of 614
So,
I`ve spent whole day playing back forth my fav tracks for equipment tests.
Current path:
A6>random usb cable>Topping HS-1>random usb cable>SMSL PO100Pro>25cm HDMI cable>Gustard X16>Topping A90d>Dan Clarke Aeon 2 Closed

My conclusion is simple: in this configuration I2S is a winner.
I must admit that I haven`t try I2S without isolator.
I was amazed from a start :wink:
Can you describe the difference, using a specific track available on streaming platforms?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #500 of 614
Can you describe the difference, using a specific track available on streaming platforms?
Mushanga by Toto. 2018 remaster. Should be available somewhere to listen.
Right before the chorus begins, there is magnificent fill-in from Jeff Porcaro`s amazing drumming. I could hear the drums, but I haven`t notice acoustic ambient around them. X16 revealed it after connecting all of this stuff to audio chain.
Musician Pegasus on the other hand, seams to be immune to such complicated chain.

A6>random usb cable>Topping HS-1>random usb cable>SMSL PO100Pro>25cm HDMI cable>PEGASUS>Topping A90d>Dan Clarke Aeon 2 Closed

vs

A6>Wireworld Starlight 8 coax>PEGASUS>Topping A90d>Dan Clarke Aeon 2 Closed

sounds almost the same. Coax has better bass, I2S has like 5% wider soundstage.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #501 of 614
Bought the standard version of this a couple of weeks ago and have to say the uplift in SQ is well worth the £59 I paid for it. It was bought so I could use the USB out from a bluesound node as the USB input on my audiolab m-dac won't work properly, it pops and clicks and becomes totally unstable.
So I've used coaxial to connect them and it sounded OK very listenable but nothing special. Late last year I purchased an ifi spidf ipurifier 2 and an ipower x to hear if there could be an improvement, well there was and was happy. It was one those improvements that has you going through your favourite albums and having a better insight into the recording.
So I came to the conclusion that the bluesound nodes output could be improved by being re-clocked. By adding the douk audio u2 pro it took everything that the ifi spdif ipurifier 2 added and took it up a couple of notches.
Kinda of blue by miles davis has more space, sweetness and clarity and more than I want to describe. It really is like buying a new dac.
The chain is bluesound node usb output, then jitterbug, douk u2 pro, ifi spdif ipurifier 2 to the audiolab m-dac.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #502 of 614
So I came to the conclusion that the bluesound nodes output could be improved by being re-clocked. By adding the douk audio u2 pro it took everything that the ifi spdif ipurifier 2 added and took it up a couple of notches.
It is not reclocking. What U2Pro do the best is redirecting ground loops (a primary function of a DDC). It also has pretty stable S/PDIF output. All clocking starts from there. Quality of the source brings better sound.

Aug 18, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #504 of 614
Got the AliX Leaf Audio CMD-17 variant with the Crystek 957 oscilators some days ago.
Put it in use between an Ifi Zen Stream and the coax input on the DS DAC in my bedroom system. First impressions powering it directely from the Zen Stream; Deeper more punchy and controlled base, better depth,blacker background but..at the same time bright and sibilant sounding.

Powering it 5V from a Teradak LPS did not improve on the brightnes and sibilance. Tried the toslink output, no diference.
Asking the seller what the optimal input voltage from an external power supply whould be, he answered between 4,8-5,2V. So i adjusted the voltage of the LPS down to 4,8V for a test. Much better, brightnes and sibilance gradually disappeared.

Tried placing an Ifi iPurifier3 in the USB input. Didn't like it. Slightly muffled the sound, hiding details.
My DAC does not have an A2S input, but of the coax and toslink i prefer coax. A little cleaner and clearer, but not by much. Using a generic toslink cable. As sajunky have been saying , it gets better, more calm and controlled as time passes. Agree.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #505 of 614
First impressions powering it directely from the Zen Stream; Deeper more punchy and controlled base, better depth,blacker background but..at the same time bright and sibilant sounding.

Powering it 5V from a Teradak LPS did not improve on the brightnes and sibilance. Tried the toslink output, no diference.
In my experience, distorted high notes are only during first two weeks. As there is no difference with USB powered, give it a time before trying other things. On my list for fine tuning these are in first place:
- different USB cable: short is better, sans moulded ferite chokes. More expensive cables have chokes. In this case, chokes are not welcome, but a ground wire should measure low resistance.
- lay down PSU AC power cable in parallel with the streamer power supply cord. Or try a standard cellphone SMPS USB charger, plug it next to the streamer power plug. It gives even smaller surface area for AC ground loops, as there is no AC power cord.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #506 of 614
In my experience, distorted high notes are only during first two weeks. As there is no difference with USB powered, give it a time before trying other things. On my list for fine tuning these are in first place:
- different USB cable: short is better, sans moulded ferite chokes. More expensive cables have chokes. In this case, chokes are not welcome, but a ground wire should measure low resistance.
- lay down PSU AC power cable in parallel with the streamer power supply cord. Or try a standard cellphone SMPS USB charger, plug it next to the streamer power plug. It gives even smaller surface area for AC ground loops, as there is no AC power cord.
I am 100 houres in with the burn in. Fatigue inducing excessiv brightnes, sibilance and forwardnes are totally gone. Very nice sound. Definitely a noticable SQ upgrade. I am using Supra Trico coax cable (2m) and Supra Excalibur USB cable (1m). External power from LPS.
Will not change anything before min. 500 h. Will then compare external power against usb power. Will be interesting bq i am now feeding the device 4,8 volts and the usb of course is 5 volts. The streamer and dac is being fed power by a LPS as well. Everything in the chain is connected to the same power conditioner. except router and switches (but on the same line).

Anyways, i am already satisfied with this cheap little ddc before fully burnt in.

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #507 of 614
Hi everyone! I just connected the U2 standard version with a powerbank laying around. The SQ is definitely better, more details and voices naturally and more impressing. Before trying the powerbank I have powered the U2 through a Keces LPS. My question to you is: Which powerbank do you recommend to increase SQ? Thanks for your suggestions.

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #508 of 614
I still love to check in here and see folks still discovering this "sort of hidden" little gem!

For some, it's a game changer, for others slight improvement but rarely does anyone have a truly negative experience with this unit! Still have mine, and it is still serving me very well.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 2, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #509 of 614
I have been using this small wonderful DDC since last year and discovered this thread today. Spent all day reading this. I have the leaf audio Crystek 957 version. The way it transformed my Bifrost is jaw dropping. Question (for @sajunky): You mentioned using a USB ground isolater before the DDC could be beneficial. Instead of using a ifi defender, will using a cheap isolater from aliexpress do any good? example or another example
I have a noisy gaming laptop but I have plans of getting a raspberry pi (as a receiver) and going the UPnP route. Will a USB isolator also help in this case?

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #510 of 614
I have been using this small wonderful DDC since last year and discovered this thread today. Spent all day reading this. I have the leaf audio Crystek 957 version. The way it transformed my Bifrost is jaw dropping. Question (for @sajunky): You mentioned using a USB ground isolater before the DDC could be beneficial. Instead of using a ifi defender, will using a cheap isolater from aliexpress do any good? example or another example
I have a noisy gaming laptop but I have plans of getting a raspberry pi (as a receiver) and going the UPnP route. Will a USB isolator also help in this case?
Thank you for feedback. Which BF version do you have? Initially BF2 had very poor USB performance before upgrading. Currently USB module has been upgraded to the industry standards and also has a galvanic isolation, so improvements coming from ground loop redirection is expected not so significant. Still, clocks inside BF2 are inferior to Crysteks, I believe there are standard version. Clock on the S/PDIF connection follows a source clock, so the improvement is expected as well. Clarification of your DAC version will give more clue what may be important here. I assume you were using USB input, now connecting to U2Pro with coax.

iDefender will definitely help. It is not isolator, but a ground loop redirector. Inserting self-powered USB 2.0 hub do similar job and costs $10, I believe there is a hub lying around, so you have more options.

Going with AMD ADUM3160 is not I would recommend. Not sure is fully UAC 2.0 compatible, limited to the USB Full speed, so it only works up to maximum sampling rate 24/96kHz. It is why I had no interest in testing. Since the last year there are two new isolator chips available, the ADUM3165 from AMD and TI ISOUSB211. A cost of a chip is few $, so you can expect similar boards not exceeding $20. It will help U2Pro, but for such price it will be a viable partnership with low cost RPi streamer as well. If you find these isolators on Ali, let us know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back