Double Helix Cables Thread
Jul 2, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,051 of 2,056
  .... I just don't want to see newer head-fi'ers thinking that you need to spend $1000 on a cable to max out the performance on a $300 dollar headphone....

To a certain extends, I agree on you. Cable does have an effect on the signal path but the effect is limited. It is probably around 10% to 15% max for a very good cable. It would be far more easily justify to invest a better amplifier, a better source, or even some high resolution music.

However, when you want to extract that last 10% in a good way (well, not getting the sound worse), my experience in the audio world told me it will going to be costly, in an unfathomable way. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #1,052 of 2,056

You use the C4 for IEMS?! Wow! How is that ergonomically? 

It is usable, but you can feel the cables are there on your ears for the first few minutes, then you dive into the music haven and forget it :-D.

I would definitely not recommend it if you plan to wear it for sport activities. Walking, fine, jogging for example, I don't think so.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,053 of 2,056
  Portable end game reached, at least for the next few months  ; )

DHC Molecule Elite 22 
DHC Mini Complement4 
RWAK380cu + RWcuAmp
ALO CDM running Mullards
Hifiman Edition X
Fully Balanced

SCHWEET!!
That rig looks CLEAN...

Just when Peters given me yet another level of musical engagement  - he drops something that blows me away AGAIN! Thanks for bringin' me SO MUCH closer to the SINE's sonic potential!!!!

and I'm really proud of the job @TheOneInYellow has been doing sharing his DHC experiences! He's been a valued reader, and his unwavering support and energy have meant a great deal to me.
PLUS: That he took the chance and trusted me when it came to DHC - as I know Peters leads aren't cheap - well, it's amazing to see and hear him get the same results I did!!!!

I'm doing a column ASAP about DHC, as I've been an evangelist for years now - and Peters headphone cables are my personal Top Reference - so it's time to dedicate some space just for his products.
Ray Kimber was VERY impressed with Peters work (not-knowing it was his at the time) when I brought a bunch of his cable to Canlanta for Questyle.
And Joe Reynolds was also impressed - calling Peter an "audio artisan" - pretty F_____in cool.

This new DHC for my SINE seemed to aid in lifting what sounded like a veiling of low end extension and lower mid-band w/ the stock cable. The sound, which didn't seem flat before DHC - sounded so lively and dynamic - the mids opened-up so much it sounded like a new headphone!!  Especially after the cans themselves seem to break in around 250 hours...

+ staging got wider, and even deeper!! - same amp/source - ALL THAT - 

AMAZING Peter!! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,055 of 2,056
Hi all,

Would anybody know if DHC ever do any discount for their products like Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Have not seen a seasonal sale yet. There may be specific items. Wait times, backlog orders are fact at dhc.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,057 of 2,056

Hi all,

Would anybody know if DHC ever do any discount for their products like Thanksgiving or Christmas?

Have not seen a seasonal sale yet. There may be specific items. Wait times, backlog orders are fact at dhc.

Peter has usually done some black friday promotions in the past 
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,058 of 2,056
Hi,

Does Peter ever do a special adapter like hd600 to 3.5 mm or Lemon to 3.5 mm? Would like to think about getting Silver Comp4 and use for all three HP like HD600, Focal Elear, and Focal Utopia(in near future)? That would be an endgame for me.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #1,059 of 2,056
Does the compliment-4 really add sound-quality value compared to the stock HD800S cable? Is it worth about 1000 dollars?

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,060 of 2,056
Yes it adds a noticable improvement in sound quality. Is it worth $1000 dollars, no not IMO. That being said I still own it because I can afford it and it's the best cable I've found yet. But it's not much better than other cables I've tried that are like a third the price either. Value is not what DHC is all about IMO. They are about the best sound quality possible IMO. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,061 of 2,056
  Yes it adds a noticable improvement in sound quality. Is it worth $1000 dollars, no not IMO. That being said I still own it because I can afford it and it's the best cable I've found yet. But it's not much better than other cables I've tried that are like a third the price either. Value is not what DHC is all about IMO. They are about the best sound quality possible IMO. 

Well, I have to make a tough decision. Either buy a special Trading Card Game mount (Spectral Tiger) in World of Warcraft (Game which I play for 11-years and I am a collector) or that cable :p

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,062 of 2,056
  Well, I have to make a tough decision. Either buy a special Trading Card Game mount (Spectral Tiger) in World of Warcraft (Game which I play for 11-years and I am a collector) or that cable :p

Well seeing as this is real, and that isn't, should be a pretty easy decision to make :wink:

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #1,063 of 2,056
  Well seeing as this is real, and that isn't, should be a pretty easy decision to make :wink:

Haha, screw those extra-pixels in game I guess :p.

But the quality on the bass/mids and highs do increase with that cable? Also about the connectors. Are they a bit stiffer (bigger) than the stock connectors.
I find quit a lot of movement in the stock connectors. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,064 of 2,056
  Haha, screw those extra-pixels in game I guess :p.

But the quality on the bass/mids and highs do increase with that cable? Also about the connectors. Are they a bit stiffer (bigger) than the stock connectors.
I find quit a lot of movement in the stock connectors. 

Yeah, just teasing you, if anyone knows anything about having to explain purchasing decisions that others won't understand, it's audiophiles. 

The connectors are high quality with the Comp4, thought I never really had an issue with the original cable. The main difference for me was an increase in clarity, it really just sounds more clean and euphoric with the Comp4. It's almost not really than noticable until you use it for a while and try going back to the stock cable after you've adjusted to the sound of the Comp4. At least thats how it was in my case anyway.

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #1,065 of 2,056
  Yeah, just teasing you, if anyone knows anything about having to explain purchasing decisions that others won't understand, it's audiophiles. 

The connectors are high quality with the Comp4, thought I never really had an issue with the original cable. The main difference for me was an increase in clarity, it really just sounds more clean and euphoric with the Comp4. It's almost not really than noticable until you use it for a while and try going back to the stock cable after you've adjusted to the sound of the Comp4. At least thats how it was in my case anyway.

So a increase in soundstage I guess? Not much noticed on extra bass? Some people talk about sub-bass distortion on the HD800S. Does it fix that a bit?

Do they have a adapter from Balanced XLR to 1/4 6.3MM for example btw? The reason I ask is because my current amp supports only 6.3 1/4. But for future reference I might wanna go to a balance connection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back