Don't really like the HD558s any suggestions?
Feb 28, 2014 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hisagishi

100+ Head-Fier
So like the title says, I don't really like the 558s. They are alright but for the things I do with them they aren't outstanding tbh.

What I use them for (in order)
Youtube esque podcasts.
Movies
Gaming

I don't really listen to much music unless its a background track to something.

What I don't like about them (in order):

Voices sound muffled and murky. Also sound different in pitch to my other pair of headphones, alot deeper (unrealistically so) (old headset is a vengeance 1500)

Not much separation in audio. IE during shows the background music bleeds over the characters voices, its weird.

The bass is alright but I could use a bit more.

Also they don't fit me very well, they don't seal at the bottom, I don't know if my ears are just massive or what.

Things to note, I am using onboard audio, don't have a dac or amp or anything to drive high impedance headphones. I don't really want to spend a hundred bucks on one either.

My budget is around 150, I'd like it to be lower but since I intend on keeping these headphones for a couple years I can go a bit higher if its worth it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 20
Did you delete the Vengence software and update the drivers/software for the on-board audio.
What is the make and model of your motherboard?
An Asus Xonar ($18-$28) or Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z ($85) might improve the audio quality of the HD558s?
The SB-Z's CS4398 DAC chip is going to be a fair bit better then the on-board audio.
A little break in time might improve the audio quality of the HD558s.

Would you by chance have access to a A/V receiver, try plugging the HD558s into one see if the audio quality improves.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 20
I didn't delete the vengeance software because then I wouldn't really be able to compare them.

Mobo is a MSi Z77A-G45

I do have an yamaha receiver, I'll have to try that out later.

What other headphones do you suggest? I was thinking the DT770 32ohm but they are quite expensive. Anything cheaper?

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 20
  I didn't delete the vengeance software because then I wouldn't really be able to compare them.
Mobo is a MSi Z77A-G45
I do have an Yamaha receiver, I'll have to try that out later.
What other headphones do you suggest? I was thinking the DT770 32ohm but they are quite expensive. Anything cheaper?

You have "ok" on-board audio, sound card should improve audio quality.
I'm going to guess you will notice an improvement when you plug the HD558s into the Yamaha.
Post back when you have tested the HD558s with the Yamaha.
With the DT770 32-ohm headphones, it recommended (but not required) to use them with a headphone amplfier, to bring out their best.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 20
Wouldn't a 32 ohm headphone be fine? I have heard the HD558s were about 50ohms.

I can't do it tonight, other people are hoarding the TV. Ah well. I'll do it tomorrow then.

So my only other option is the DT770 then? (I'm not against using an amp but that would be more money than I'd care to spend)

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 20
Sorry to bump this but how do you feel about the custom one pros?

I hate to bug you guys with this but I hope you understand that I really need to return these asap.

Edit: and yes I will test them out with the receiver, but can't right now.

Edit2: Oh they are a bit out of my price range. I didn't notice that the price jumped up from the last time I looked. But still, suggestions guys.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 20
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000079-UE-6000-Headphones/dp/B0094S36RI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393687094&sr=8-1&keywords=ue6000

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 20
  Wouldn't a 32-Ohm headphone be fine? I have heard the HD558s were about 50ohms.
I can't do it tonight, other people are hoarding the TV. Ah well. I'll do it tomorrow then.
So my only other option is the DT770 then? (I'm not against using an amp but that would be more money than I'd care to spend)

Even though the DT770 is listed as "32-Ohm" it takes more to drive it then other 32-Ohm headphones, read for yourself.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

I've always assumed is better to get the cheaper DT770 Pro 250-Ohm and spend the leftover for an amplifier.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 20
  Can you recommend me a good amp to go with the DT770 250 ohm? Right now the price difference between the 32 and the 250 is only 20 bucks.

Schiit Magni, $99 or O2 $120.

You might find something used here.
http://www.head-fi.org/f/109/for-sale-trade-and-feedback-forums

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 20
Geh, I guess I should have said cheap amp. I can't afford more than 200 bucks total. Thats my top end, and I really don't even want to go that high if not necessary.

What would be the draw backs of using high impedance headphones without an amp? Just lower sound volume?

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 20
Geh, I guess I should have said cheap amp. I can't afford more than 200 bucks total. That's my top end, and I really don't even want to go that high if not necessary.

What would be the draw backs of using high impedance headphones without an amp? Just lower sound volume?

"non-amped" jack are not equal, you never really know how much voltage they will kick out untid you plug in the headphones.

Save money? buy the SB-Z (on sale for $75)

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 20
dt990 pro is $143 on Amazon right now, AKG k240 mkII is $115, standard k240 even less. Amp isn't necessary for the AKG I would say.

AD700x would be great for gaming, and those definitely don't need amping. Good luck!

Some audiophile lingo to help you:
Voices sound muffled and murky - probably lacking in treble presence. Look for words like bright, clarity.

Not much separation in audio - Look for words like imaging, presentation, soundstage, and of course separation.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #14 of 20
So my options are:

AKG k240 MK2 - Don't really know what to think about these. I don't hear of too many people using them, but thats not a bad thing. Also the price is (extremely) appealing. Based on their frequency response charts though the treble just dies after a certain hz range, would that be a problem?

AD700x - I hear it lacks bass, something I absolutely need and one of the main reasons I am upgrading.

DT990 pro - I honestly think I might like these the most, the bass is quite high which I enjoy. Though I simply can't afford an amp with them.

I kind of want the DT770s still as they are closed, and I have noisy neighbors and a loud computer. Sorry I didn't state this, honestly open headphones aren't a deal breaker.

I don't mind paying for good headphones but the need of a 100 dollar amp is just killing me. I can't justify the purchase on audio equipment sadly.

So to sum it up, I want enough bass so that I "feel" explosions, Sound stage is kind of meh as I don't listen to music much and I don't really play games where you can hear footsteps, separation is nice though. I wasn't getting it on the HD558s for whatever reason. Basically what was happening was the background tracks of say shows was bleeding over character dialogue.

Also just wanted to say thanks to you guys for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 20
lol closed might actually be easier :)

NVX XPT100 / Brainwavz HM5 -These are both rebrandings of the Fischer Audio FA-003, just easier to get in the U.S.

Audio Technica m50 - Lauded as the value king up until a few years ago.

Creative Aurvana Live 2 - similar sound to the original Aurvana, but with better build and looks.

All of these definitely don't need amping btw. Look them all up on head-fi / amazon for detailed reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back