Dont fully understand the difference between types and market share, interested in £100-£200 phones.
Nov 30, 2012 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jethro10

New Head-Fier
Hi,

First post, I hate first post, plus there isn't really a sub-forum suited to it, because it spans both IEM and full size ones.

Background:
Fisrtly I'm decent hifi aware, in the past when I had more time, I had decent HIFI, Linn/naim/tannoy etc.

But it all went, not sure why to be honest. But now to headphones.

I get the different reasoning between on ear, over ear and open/closed. And kinda between IEM's

My wife uses IEM for perhaps 6 hours a week in two sessions and I bought her with some help and advice, UE Triple Fi 10's and they sound stunning - I've had a crafty listen.

For me IEM get a bit uncomfortable  after a while  - I just have cheaper soundmagic, but they are still good. I've tried the Comply tips and my wife swears by them AND yes a big improvement, but still a niggling fault for me possibly.

Meat:
So to my issue. her  UE's have given me the bug, I want better ones, but probably not IEM's But when I look, there seems a way bigger IEM range and many manufacturers seem to only do IEM's like Etymotec, UE (until recently) or have a larger proportion of IEM models, and a lot of normal headphones are from the older traditional manufacturers I knew from the past when I was a kid like AKG, Grado etc.
It kind of sounds to me like a lot of new development and ideas are coming from IEM markets. I could be wrong, it just feels like IEM's are where new developement is and it's the area I think I'm less interested in. Am I right? are IEM's the way to go?

Question:
I'm not an overly lover of pounding bass, prefer fast detailed and energetic with enough bass to be engaging. I used to like BBC ls3/5a and Linn Kan speakers although they were a tad bass light.
I like the UE IEM of the wife's for the replaceable cable if they damage, is this a feature of many phones? I'd like it if I can.
I'm thinking open back phones (but am bothered I'm missing the IEM point), but need some ideas as I live in the lakes, and it will be a bit of travelling to try stuff so need a bit of a kick start.
Between £100-£200 probably. closer to £200 wont hurt, but over it and the wife probably will :wink:

thats it, done!

thanks
Jeff

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 2
If comfort is what you want, try the shure SE line. They aren't the best sound for their money when you get to the SE535, but they are very comfortable. The Westone W line are also nicely ergonomic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back