Dolby Headphone with Creative Aurvana Live!
Nov 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

inQling

New Head-Fier
Hey every one. Before I say anything I'll sat that I'm pretty new here and have only been lurking for a few days.

Anywho. I'm getting a new pair of headphones, an upgrade from Sony Wireless Stereo Headset. From what I've read, a good way to go is through Dolby Headphone. So I read Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide (and other guides and such) Seems CAL is what I'm going to go for. My question is what is the best way to obtain DH (I apologize if it's a stupid question).
On a side note, any other recommendations for headphones/sets? I play FPS games often but more casually than not (Borderlands 2, Dishonored, etc) I listen to music a LOT so that is also something that I need to take into consideration.

Sorry if this has been asked before and/or in the wrong location! Still a newbie here and a developing audiophile :) Have a great day.
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 4
A soundcard. Xonar DG/DX/D2/etc or the Creative alternative should all support Dolby headphone. I personally find it rather artificial. Not so bad for electronica and stuff, but awful for vocal, classical, etc.

EDIT: I should have a CAL arriving this week, so I can test it's performance with dolby headphone if you like. I expect it'll be similar to every other headphone I've tried with Dolby though.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks a lot! IF it's not too much trouble but it's understandable if you cant :) Thanks for the input on DH, the more I know the better :)

Initial impressions on the Aurvana Live. Very bassy, soundstage is quite congested. DH on level 1(reference room). Gets bassier, muddies the mids. Sounds a bit echoey.

Testing in game:
Mass Effect 3, no DH.
Direction ability of the headphones is decent. I can tell where most of my opponents are and what kind of distance they are at.

With DH
Direction ability is slightly worse. Sort of smeared across a larger area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back