Doing a review of HD650 vs LCD2 (etc) and a couple of amps... any questions/areas to cover?
Sep 16, 2012 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm doing a review (that's not the review just saying that I'm doing it) of the HD650 vs the LCD2, with a headroom balanced desktop amp, along with my trusty PPA that has a DAC inside it. I asked on the blog if anyone had questions or suggestions for the review, but I figured this would be a good place to ask the same. I'll throw in the A900 and Beats by Dr Dre as I have them laying around. I may even have some old HD280s somewhere too.

Is there anything anyone wants to know about the difference between these headphones? Any areas to cover? Questions?

I may not reply to questions or posts immediately... I seem to average about 2 posts a year these days, I read more than I post.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 16
Hi commando,

I am interested in your review. 
I recently bought a Sen HD650, and highly interested in the LCD 2.2 in the future. 
I was wondering if the LCD 2.2 is an upgrade or a compliment to the Sen HD650.
In addition, as I love everything about the sen HD650 except for new music releases (probally because of subbass) and as I have limited to music, so I would need to use headphone for some youtube video. The Sen HD650 do just fine, without punishing bad sound quality. So I wanna know LCD 2.2 can do the same.
And last but not least, comfort for long term listening in a chair while surfing the web.

Thank you. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 16
I would say the LCD2's a complement to the HD650. The 650s are probably better for classical and anything with super detail that's really well recorded. The LCD2 has more bass and so would suit rock and modern music better. Both are excellent headphones.

The 650s are more comfortable for long term wear, with their softer pads and lower clamping force.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 16
I came to the LCD-2 from the HD650 and without putting down the HD650 I can tell you the LCD-2 is in a different class altogether. It's not a question of "complement"; they occupy different stratospheres. 

Oops, think I just pre-empted your review, commando.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 16
hmmm interesting stuff indeed. pp312, can you be more specific when you say they occupy different stratospheres? does it mean LCD 2 is everything hd 650 has, but way way better? because i've always thought that each headphones (to some extent) have their unique way of presenting (sound signature), and hence where the complementing each other idea comes from.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 16
i find it interesting that you're saying the HD650 ( 450$ ) is a compliment to the LCD-2s ( 995$ ). in fact that indicates to nothing but the HD650 is way better value than the LCD-2 and I've read a while ago that some people prefer the D5k ( which i have ) to the HD650 and I consider the Audeze's a huge upgrade from the Denons but IF what you're saying is True then i should invest in the HD650 instead of upgrading my gear for the LCD-2s.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 16
i have the D5k too, and loving it. i'm somewhat skeptical when you say some people prefer it over hd650, since it sounds quite different and its not fair to compare the two.

i'm actually very interested in both LCD 2 and the hd650, so keeping a close eye to this comparison too ^^

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 16
I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but I've only spent a few hours with them in the past few days, before that I hadn't used them much in a while. They're different headphones, the basic differences are outlined above.

Quote:
I came to the LCD-2 from the HD650 and without putting down the HD650 I can tell you the LCD-2 is in a different class altogether. It's not a question of "complement"; they occupy different stratospheres. 

Oops, think I just pre-empted your review, commando.

Everyone's opinion is valid, everyone hears things differently :) You think the LCD-2 is a lot better than the HD650? Why is that? I'm not disagreeing, just asking the question :)

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 16
Good question, which I've actually addressed a couple of times already on this forum.

I'm a fan of the HD650 in its price range. I'm not sure you can do much better. But for around double its price plus a little more you can certainly do a lot better with the LCD-2. Why? Well, as good as the HD650 is, it still sounds like a good headphone, whereas the LCD-2, on any half-decent recording, can actually sound like live music, which is much more difficult and rare than is commonly supposed. I had about 5 years with the HD650, and though I was generally pleased with the sound, I never had any of those breathtaking "Oh my god it's just like the real thing" moments that I've had many times with the LCD-2. I could talk about more extended bass and treble, a more open midrange etc, etc...all the things people blather on about here--er, sorry, I mean discuss frequently here, but it comes down to the simple fact that the LCD-2 sounds more realistic, more like music. If you want a very good headphone, get the HD650. If you want the illusion of live music, get the LCD-2.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
i have the D5k too, and loving it. i'm somewhat skeptical when you say some people prefer it over hd650, since it sounds quite different and its not fair to compare the two.

I actually have both of these right now. they are closer than I would have thought. But the 650 has more breath and life to the music thought the 650's always take twice as much effort to get the low end out of.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I actually have both of these right now. they are closer than I would have thought. But the 650 has more breath and life to the music thought the 650's always take twice as much effort to get the low end out of.

i see i see. interesting! if a headphone sounding like a d5000 and hd650 combined, now that would be awesome! 

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
hmmm interesting stuff indeed. pp312, can you be more specific when you say they occupy different stratospheres? does it mean LCD 2 is everything hd 650 has, but way way better? because i've always thought that each headphones (to some extent) have their unique way of presenting (sound signature), and hence where the complementing each other idea comes from.

Actually I find the idea of "complementing" rather odd, as it belongs to that philosophy that says there's no really accurate or "best" sound; it's just what you happen to prefer. My own philosophy is that of hi-fi--high fidelity to the original sound, so the "best" sound is that which most closely approximates the sound as heard at the performance, whether it be live or recorded (we won't get into the vagaries of mic positioning etc; that's entirely another subject). So I don't even subscribe to the idea of having more than one headphone--why would you want more than one? For different kinds of music? A truly accurate headphone should reproduce all kinds of music equally well, since it's accurately reproducing the original performance (unless of course you don't want the original performance but something more exciting). Of course one might want open and closed headphones, or full-sized and earbud, for different purposes, but why would you want two full-sized open phones? Inevitable one will be more accurate than the other, in which case why would you be using the less accurate one?

OK, I listen entirely to classical/orchestral music, so my goal is to accurately reproduce the sound of a symphony orchestra. I know others listen to rap, electronica or whatever and possibly want exaggerated bass, treble etc. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to help those people (just kidding). In any case that's not "hi-fi", and this is after all Head-Fi, so one presumes the goal here is accuracy.

Which brings me the long way round to the comparison of HD650 and LCD-2. As I said in the other post, and can't really expand on, the LCD-2 simple sounds more like live instruments. Go from one to the other and the sound just seems to open up; you get far more of a feel for the timbre and tone of instruments; it's just more like they're really there. I'm not a believer in dissecting sound, dividing it into bass, mid, treble (let alone deep bass, mid bass, upper bass etc), so my review of any headphone would probably consist of one line having to do with how realistic it sounds--and maybe how comfortable it is. (Oh, and in that regard the HD650 wins hands down. The LCD-2 is comfortable enough but you never forget the weight). So rather than reviews, my advice to anyone and everyone is to compare the headphone in question with live music of their choice and buy accordingly. That way you're less likely to get caught up in forum BS, of which there's no shortage.  

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Does it sound more or less like live sound? 
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Does it sound more or less like live sound? 
wink.gif

I would say the HD650 sounds more like live. The LCD2 sounds like there's something (very small) between myself and the artists. I'm still listening to different music and trying to work out the difference, it's quite subtle to my ears.

Of course there will be variation between headphones as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back