Does your rolex get noticed?
May 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #16 of 140
Quote:

That said, any girl who is attracted to you because of bling is most likely not worth going out with.

True dat.

May 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #17 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That said, any girl who is attracted to you because of bling is most likely not worth going out with.

who said he wants to keep them around long enough to go out with them?

if you want a watch forever then buy a Patek but as far as being noticed i have had more compliments from the ladies about my Tissot T-race then any other watch. actually my T touch seems to get their attention alot more then the Breitlings, and one girl kept my Tissot PRC200 and stopped talking to me...

i'm not mad at her cause she made my time with her well spent more then the price of the watch itself
wink.gif

but if your really shallow and just want attention then just buy a fake Rolex and Breitling..after all your buying for the look and not the piece itself.

May 2, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 140
My wife has an Rolesor With mother of pearl face and it is a beautiful watch but my Aquaterra Omega gets all the attention. Hers was 7 grand and mine was just shy of 2 grand, go figure. The milgauss you picked out looks very nice, the typical oyster used to be 36mm and too small for me as I am a big person, so I choose the 39.5mm Omega. I see the Milgauss is 40 mm, unless your big as a house that is a good size. If you want super big in a normal watch then look at the Aquaterra's with the 42mm cases, there is no way in hell they will miss that one on your wrist.

May 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #20 of 140
The main reason for me to buy a nice watch is simply because I want a watch that I will be able to wear forever. I really like the milgauss, but with that huge jump in price over most omegas, it would have to be much more noticeable to be worth the money to me. I like the Tissot watches, just haven't had the time to check one out.

I am going to be in my mid 20's and starting college, and already have pretty much everything planned out and paid for. This is just one last purchase to decide on.

So, how often do you hear "hey is that a rolex?"

May 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #21 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by waffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just before I get mugged.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 140
Quote:

The main reason for me to buy a nice watch is simply because I want a watch that I will be able to wear forever. I really like the milgauss, but with that huge jump in price over most omegas, it would have to be much more noticeable to be worth the money to me. I like the Tissot watches, just haven't had the time to check one out.

I am going to be in my mid 20's and starting college, and already have pretty much everything planned out and paid for. This is just one last purchase to decide on.

I think if that response is what you want then I would recommend an Oyster as the shape and fluted bezel is what people recognize as a Rolex. I would also recommend the Jubilee band as it will not show scratches like the oyster bad will.

Like this: Official Rolex Website > Timeless Luxury Watches

But like I said, it depends on how big you are. 5'9" and the 36mm will work 6'1" and 39.5 or 40mm is good and if your build like a lumberjack then something bigger than 40, like the 42mm Omega.

If it makes any difference I do like that Miglauss you picked out, I would have taken a serious look at the had it been available when I went looking, the wife wanted me to get a Rolex like hers but it was just too small.

May 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #25 of 140
I wear a Rolex Submariner.

Gold & Stainless, with Royal Blue face and Bezel.

Oh, yes, it gets noticed. People comment from time to time.

But frankly, I didn't buy it for their comments. I bought it because I felt I deserved it. I had worked diligently and with great effort for decades, and finally was in the financial sweet spot. I bought it for fun. About $6k.

Since buying it, I've marvelled at how I'll never need another watch. It's quality and indestructibity are true to legend. It is a watch to wear 50 years.

But again, I'd buy it for reasons other than...will people notice.

May 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #27 of 140
You know, the price of the watch will probably cover all the textbooks you'd need to buy. Budgeted for or not, having that cash free and in the bank is worth more than any rolex.

May 2, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #28 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since buying it, I've marvelled at how I'll never need another watch. It's quality and indestructibity are true to legend. It is a watch to wear 50 years.

But again, I'd buy it for reasons other than...will people notice.

This is why I want to buy a nice watch, but I'm sure I can get one for less than $6200. I was wondering if the rolex was worth the extra money, not in terms of quality. As far as quality goes, I'm pretty sure the law of diminishing returns starts to take effect far lower than $6200.

May 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #29 of 140
Quote:

I'm sure I can get one for less than $6200. I was wondering if the rolex was worth the extra money, not in terms of quality. As far as quality goes, I'm pretty sure the law of diminishing returns starts to take effect far lower than $6200.

I agree. But as has been observed here many times, some of us shop around, and some of us just buy.

Personal preference.

May 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #30 of 140
Quote:

I used to be in my mid-twenties, too. Today I'm 36 and my tastes have changed substantially. I'm pretty sure my tastes will be different at 46 and 56, too. I'm certain that the watch I'm wearing today won't be on my wrist.

If you take any advice from this thread, realize that your tastes are not set in stone and that you might not want a Rolex at 30. I'd go so far to say that something else will catch your eye in the next few years and you'll justify selling the Rolex at a steep loss to finance your next toy. You haven't been around long enough to understand how you're going to change. I still don't entirely see it, either, but I've seen enough to know it is going to happen.

If you want a high quality watch at a reasonable price, I'm fond of the offerings from Fortis, Sinn and Stowa. Venturas are wonderful, but the company is gone. I still keep a Vmatic around because I love it. No one aside from watch geeks will drool over these brands. However, they are well made, accurate and attractive watches you can enjoy greatly.

If you want women to notice your watch, go pick up a vintage Accutron Spaceview and put it on a green alligator strap. Believe me, women will notice and comment. When they do, take it off and tell them to listen to it. Accutrons (at least the old ones) run off a tuning fork that hums at 360Hz. They're frighteningly accurate and reliable, but were killed off by quartz in the seventies. Anyhow, a humming watch will make people go wide eyed on first listen and the skeleton dial of the Spaceview is fascinating. You can get ones in good shape for $250-$350 and a service is about $100. Further, it'll give you the opportunity to talk to someone about the tuning fork and an opportunity to touch and/or hold hands while letting her listen. If you're tryin to pick someone up, that'll give you a lot more opportunity than a shiny Oyster on your wrist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back