Does Uncle Erik & Dugeh still post here?
Jun 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 69
I got into this forum malarkey a couple of years ago. I have 5000+ posts on another hifi site and then took a break because of the same sort of reasons duggeh referred to. I occasionally post on a car forum as well, but have much less to contribute and my car has been fine for a year now! There was an interesting thread there about how members come and go and if it has not already happened there will be academic studies of how forums function as they do take on a life of their own.

For me, forum longetivity is about developing a thick skin and selective blindness. People are going to be more opinionated when they are not face to face and many nuances of language are lost when we rely purely on the written word, so misunderstandings are more common.

I heard a workmate tell someone who was being deliberately provocative that he was not bothered by what they were saying because of mind over matter, "I don't mind because you don't matter". I have worked that way ever since.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 69

Quote:

I heard a workmate tell someone who was being deliberately provocative that he was not bothered by what they were saying because of mind over matter, "I don't mind because you don't matter". I have worked that way ever since.

That's to GOOD TO PASS UP!  Thank -YOU Prog Rock Man!! May I also use these lines when needed.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 69
Most stuff I post (even though I break no written rules) gets deleted. What's the point? Later.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 69

Quote:
I spend much less time on this site.. It's all about marketing now.. We had a tight nit community, not anymore.. & now my computer is on the fritz..Now my web brower has been corrupted..Websites like wiki lead me to Ads which i can't get out of.. My computer is now overwhelmed with virusus among other things..This only happened after the site change.. Was this even tested.. It's more of a BETA then anything else.. So today I'm getting my computer fixed.. I'm using my lap top to write this..

Then get a mac!!! .... sorry couldn't resist a joke
tongue_smile.gif
... but yeah, there are quite a few that seem more worthy of a beta than a finished product. Also I'm seeing some of the first signs of HF becoming larger than what I like, that happened to me in MacRumors, it was awesome 5 to 10 years ago... not so much now (although Apple and its ifocus on igadgets is partly to blame for that), I felt exactly as Doug described.

Its nice to think you might return Doug, I miss reading some of the familiar members more in HF.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 69
I'm very lucky to have a friend who is a whiz at computers.. He fixes mine for free.. & sometimes spends all day on it.. Friends like that are like gold. You cherish them. Still no DT48 Roger? Can't really call you on it.. I still don't have my HD800 yet.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 69
I guess that I didn't really notice that Uncle Erik and Duggeh were missing, no discredit to their names. It's really a shame, because I had rather liked them. Uncle Erik was always one of the most helpful members here, especially to new folks. Hopefully they will come back.

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #24 of 69

Quote:
I'm very lucky to have a friend who is a whiz at computers.. He fixes mine for free.. & sometimes spends all day on it.. Friends like that are like gold. You cherish them. Still no DT48 Roger? Can't really call you on it.. I still don't have my HD800 yet.

Hey usually I'm one of those geek-friends that help people with 'puters (and pretty much anything technology oriented), nice to see the appreciation 
L3000.gif
. Unfortunately still haven't had the chance to even try them, let alone acquire a pair... 
frown.gif
, but I'm going for a nice vacation tomorrow, so after that there is a good chance I'll have the opportunity to acquire my own pair 
atsmile.gif
, it promises to be a great summer!

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #25 of 69
Jun 15, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #27 of 69

Quote:
I get warnings about blocked viruses every time my browser loads pages from head-fi. I'm not saying these couldn't be false alarms, but it hardly inspires confidence...

Completely true. Always something cause a problem. Many tabs causing crashes.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #28 of 69

Quote:

That's to GOOD TO PASS UP!  Thank -YOU Prog Rock Man!! May I also use these lines when needed.

Fire away 9pintibe. I have no issues with either the new or old forum posting using Chrome. I prefer the look of the new forum.

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #29 of 69
Spent a wee while on the forum in light of coming back per se.

Huddler defo sucks. Like LOTS. the return of basic BB code functionality would be a primary prerequisate for the return of user-friendliness instead of the Windows 95 help wizard style of things at the minute.

Additionally, the inmates are in control of the asylum. It makes me dispair that *username not mentioned* (it'll be deleted as a personal insult) is now a member of the trade and I marvel at the ability of intelligent/experienced members to continue on in the face of the kind of stuff I've read.

The site format really does seem set only towards maximising inbound traffic and page hits to grind pennies out of the enterprise. Growing the cake at the expense of how good it tastes. Personally, I'd hypothesise that this will bake a bigger cake more quickly over a short time at the expense of long term cake growth. But then what do I know about running a forum?

I'd know enough to go back to the previous software unless the ongoing limitations can be sorted. And my guess is that if they were easily fixed, they'd have been fixed by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back