does Ultimate ears triple fi 10 need amp?
Jan 15, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 36
My TF10 sound excellent with my sansa clip+. however when plugged into my nuforce mobile amp, the extra emphasis on the higher end of the spectrum ruins the overall sound IMO. that's why i think the answer to your question depends on which amp you'd be pairing it up with...

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 36
They sound very nice without an amp (Ipod Touch 2G) and better with my amp (almost to detailed though as my amp is a bit on the colder side and analytical).

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 36
I have my TF10 vi connect to my iphone and they sound great. There a little improvement with my amp (ibasso P3+) it get a bit warmer sound. I would say that if you have an amp try it out see if you like it, but its not worth it to buy an amp specifically for your TF10.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #20 of 36
I don't much like TF10 with my very warm cmoyBB. Occasionally, I try it with the attenuator, but I don't think it powers that combo enough. Might look to get a better amp, but mostly because I like amping my RE0 so much. If I do, I will probably do nano 4g > new amp (T3?) > attenuator > TF10. I like the way the attenuator tames the bass of the TF10, which I find too boomy, but the nano cannot power that without an amp.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #22 of 36
They're way sensitive, so I don't see amping helping anything. Trust your ears, though.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 36
I just ordered two different amps and will try to post some detailed impressions with and without for those interested in a few weeks.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 36
I've tried my triple.fi's with an Graham Slee Voyager, an RSA Predator and a UHA 3 over the two years that I've been using them and I've always ended up selling them amp and just using them straight from my iPod.

Whenever I've used them with an amp they've always sounded over-driven to me; suddenly much too forward and harsh. Except with the Voyager which is a really smooth, bassy amp but even then the added oomph it gave them seemed unnecessary.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience, the attenuator brings the bass out more..

does it really bring out more bass? if it will i might just use it since i find the tf 10 lacking in bass. However i have heard that the sound attenuator affects sound quality, will it affect the sound quality after using it?

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 36
External amping will bypass the crappy amplifier of said DAP. A lot of DAPs' amplifiers are okay but why settle for just o.k.
tongue.gif

(The fact you dont have a spare $100 or so to throw around on an extremely small marginal increase in quality is probably a good answer to that question)

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #27 of 36
External amping will bypass the amplifier of said DAP. A lot of DAPs' amplifiers are okay but... why settle for just o.k.?
tongue.gif

(The fact you dont have a spare $100~$200 or so to throw around on an extremely small marginal increase in quality is probably a good answer to that question tbh)

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #28 of 36
I am really liking my new TF10s, I have a Headsix and a SCag LOD so why not use them. I have a nice case that I used for a cell phone along time ago that has a pocket for the DAP and one for the amp. I think the reason I use the amp mostly though is for battery life. I use the LOD and make sure the DAP is not sending any volume, and use the headsix to control volume. Because of the ease of carrying the amp I very rarely listen to my DAPs w/o the amp.

B
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #29 of 36
The milliwattage is so low that an amp is overkill. I've used amps to improve the Phonak Audeo PFE (which blows the doors off with an M^3) but when I used the same amp on the UM3X, it sounded so warm to begin with that I could not discern any difference amped. The PF10 has a sound signature similar to the UM3X. It has plenty of thump unamped.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #30 of 36
From what I have read a lot of people say that you don't need the amp but it helps. Obviously this is going to differ with everyone but people who use either a Thomahawk or Predator amp (favorites for the TF10s IMO) people say they get some good improvement with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back