Does the sight of this bother you?
Jul 18, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
That's too much kee-RAP on one amp for my minimalist minded brain to accept.

I found it here:

http://www.fredsoundofmusic.com

That thing is beautious! and Freds is a cool place, they're headphone phriendly.
wink.gif

All those jacks in such close proximity to one another might present a bit of a logistical challenge tho...

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

All those jacks in such close proximity to one another might present a bit of a logistical challenge tho...

Keep the Outlaws away from the Denon!!

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #34 of 48
"The tape out won't work?"

Not when you use a digital input. It will only output analog signals
frown.gif

markl

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #35 of 48
People who are in the market for Receivers should put Denon on their list. They really do make some very good sounding Receivers. I've owned 2 now and both were very good but not the cheapest around. A good Denon will run like $500 on up. I compared them to Yamaha's and there was no contest. I've paired mine with Energy Take 5 speakers and the combo is awesome. I've just received some Kimber 8TC speaker cables that I will install this weekend.

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by zbuddah
Is it me or do I see a phone jack in that!!!
eek.gif

I think that is an RJ-45 jack...one a Cat-5 networking cable plugs into. Maybe you can use your computer to control it over a network or something. Or perhaps they had a little space left over and had a bunch of RJ-45 jacks laying about and figured "What the hell, why not?"

Jul 18, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba

I think that is an RJ-45 jack...one a Cat-5 networking cable plugs into. Maybe you can use your computer to control it over a network or something. Or perhaps they had a little space left over and had a bunch of RJ-45 jacks laying about and figured "What the hell, why not?"

Yes, it is an RJ45, but no such luck on the computer control. I downloaded the manual and it is the Denon Digital Link for connecting to a Denon 9000 DVD. Basically, it appears that this lets you control the 9000DVD through the 5803 remote as if it was part of the 5803.

Jul 19, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #39 of 48
This is from the Denon news line

Quote:

Denon Digital Link: The Path to Ultimate Sonic Performance
The DVD-9000 is designed to function as part of an integrated system in conjunction with the new AVR-5803, when connected using the proprietary Denon Digital Link. This connection enables the AVR-5803 to receive digital audio data from the DVD-9000's transport section, including Dolby Digital, DTS, two-channel PCM and multi-channel DVD-Audio. The data can then be decoded and processed by the AVR-5803's state-of-the-art digital electronics for the ultimate level of sonic performance-with advanced digital bass management. The Denon Digital Link is a single cable connection that enables the DVD-9000 to function as a transport-only device while the AVR-5803 decodes digital audio formats according to the way it is configured.

<snip>
The Denon DVD-9000 will be available March 2002 at a suggested retail price of $3,500.

As that port is an RJ-45 digital connection so that the player can function as a trasport only, it may be an ethernet digital connection which is a superior digital connection than standard audio COAX or optical connections due to its speed and error correction capabilities. (Whether its actual implimentation is better is another matter.)

The next question is what exactly does that RS232C connection control? It has something to do with the "Multi-Zone" jacks and a "Control Terminal"

Markl, care to shed some light?

Jul 22, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #42 of 48
Maybe someone should...but mine will not be for home theater. It will be for pure audio--at first 2 channel, then multichannel surround audio (with my headphones returning to duty after 11 pm).

Jul 22, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #43 of 48
Is that the 9200?
(hard to make out the model number from the pic)

If so, why not go with seperates instead if you are starting out 2 ch first?
It would be cheaper at first and the quality might even be better.

Jul 22, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #44 of 48
Or if we want to talk about HT with a headphone slant, check out the Marantz PS-17.
(only available in Europe or Japan
mad.gif
)

e_ps17_med.gif

It is the only home A/V equipment that I know of that has a Dolby Headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back