Does the Pico live up to the hype?
Jan 10, 2008 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm very strongly considering downsizing (see sig) and just getting a Pico. I know there's a million threads on this amp already, so I know it's a good piece of gear, however I've seen flavors of the month pop up on these boards in the past
smily_headphones1.gif

So, does it live up to the hype?

--Illah

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 32
Absolutely IMHO. Especially with the DAC. I just can't see or hear any flaws as yet. For me, with laptop at work, I can't listen to any other source. Just stellar!

Jan 10, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've seen them, it's just that when gear is new and hyped, people *want* to love it
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Predator is new too.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very strongly considering downsizing (see sig) and just getting a Pico. I know there's a million threads on this amp already, so I know it's a good piece of gear, however I've seen flavors of the month pop up on these boards in the past
smily_headphones1.gif

So, does it live up to the hype?

--Illah

Man I'm right there with you.
biggrin.gif
You rarely see early negative feedback for a hyped product around here. Same thing happened when the hornet came out. Glorious feedback and then months later....tons of them thrown into the for sale forum. And the hornet is a great amp, I'm just saying it can be tough to get a good idea if a product will hold up to the hype.

Good Luck man, we need it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 32
Not to dissent too much, but what product that has a very early favorable response is unscathed months down the road? Reason being that there is such a pipeline of new amps (especially portables now) that what was wonderful in 1/08 may have been bested in 4/08. Not the fault of the 1/08 amp, just progress!

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to dissent too much, but what product that has a very early favorable response is unscathed months down the road?

That's what I'm saying. People rarely point out even one fault of any product that is new and hyped before released. But months down the road(after fotm has died down a little) people can usually talk about it's pros and cons.(a good example of this is the denon ad2000/5000)

It doesn't mean the gear isn't good or even great, but I feel like more unbiased reviews come out after the fotm status had died down a little bit. It's not that I don't trust the people who recommend it, its just that there is a lot of excitement around it right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with ASR, Headamp doesn't make flavor of the month products. I would also suggest you look at the used section and see if everyone is dumping Headamp products.

Not too long ago, the AE-2 was very popular in the used amp forum as well. Ending up there is not a bad thing as it can also mean more people are buying them. I'm not saying there not good products, I just need more of an explanation than "it's good for its size" or "it's good". This is where the comparisons have helped a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 32
If you are concerned about it being FOTM, wait a few months and pick one up used (or for people to grumble).

I tend to agree with a previous poster though--the Move was great for it's time, but since then there's a lot more USB options. No different than PCs, cameras, etc.; the technology is rapidly advancing and there are a lot of opportunities.

It's up to OP to decide if he wants to sit on the bench during the game or take a swing.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But months down the road(after fotm has died down a little) people can usually talk about it's pros and cons.(a good example of this is the denon ad2000/5000)

On the other hand, it takes a few months of wear and tear for the cups to fall off, pots to get scratchy, etc. The products also have to get into a number of hands statistically before issues surface. Well, except for the Diablo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back