Does the Pico live up to the hype?
Jan 10, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, except for the Diablo.

That was cruel. . lol. . . good one though. Not to get off track but what did happen to it?? I mean I read nothing now. I do agree though, it takes a while for everything to settle but sometimes there are products that continue to live up to initial impressions, which is nice.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 32
The situation right now is exactly this. The waiting line for the PICO is long and people want one. You buy it and don't like it, put it back in the box and sell it or send it back to Justin. Personally I don't see the point of this thread unless you are on the waiting list. What is it your worrying about? Loosing 10 dollars shipping money? I don't understand why you cant read some of the many reviews posted about this product in one of the other PICO forums. If what you say is true, that it sucks and its all hype, then wont you get the same kind of responses here? I think it should be based on who is reviewing it and not what thread your reading it on. Right?

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 32
I also want downsize my rig and just ordered a Pico few days ago. I based my purchase on the amount of praise for the Pico but most of all by whom the praise came from. I think that distinction is rather important, especially now that headfi has grown bigger.

Justin said it should ship be ready to ship near end of month, so the waiting time should be just under a month.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also want downsize my rig and just ordered a Pico few days ago. I based my purchase on the amount of praise for the Pico but most of all by whom the praise came from. I think that distinction is rather important, especially now that headfi has grown bigger.

Justin said it should ship be ready to ship near end of month, so the waiting time should be just under a month.

x2 for all of that... can't wait for end of month!

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i think this is right. i'm wary of the hype on many products floating around here...and when the pico started making its appearance last summer i was dubious. but two things got me on board: the reviews from specific members whose opinions i trust and that the amp was made by justin.

there may certainly be similar offerings in the future that do just as well or better the pico...such is technology these days. but for now, i think it's the best portable DAC/amp combo going around. some amps may be better, but the DAC is where the pico shines. and the two combined in this tiny package is pretty sweet.

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was cruel. . lol. . . good one though. Not to get off track but what did happen to it?? I mean I read nothing now. I do agree though, it takes a while for everything to settle but sometimes there are products that continue to live up to initial impressions, which is nice.

Not a clue. Between the initial issues, head-fi crash, etc. I stopped following the thread. Perhaps the big rollout is planned for CES
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 32
I spent a little bit of time with the PICO before it was officially released. To say I was impressed is an understatement. Top notch product.

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #23 of 32
Yeah, I know the head-fi die-hards have given it praise, but even with highly praised products I always seek out the bad reviews. Oftentimes they're nothing more than, "Product broke, had to return it, inconvenience = bad rating," type of nonsense. That to me helps reinforce that the good reviews really are good.

Problem with FOTM products is nobody sees the bad for a while.

Oh well, I'll probably pull the trigger. The last super-FOTM product I bought turned out to be a very good purchase...Grado HF-1 #83
wink.gif

--Illah

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The situation right now is exactly this. The waiting line for the PICO is long and people want one.

I'm glad I made the right decision to jump on board from the get-go after reading the initial impressions of the prototype from venerated Head-fiers.

Amazing little beast the PICO is.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not too long ago, the AE-2 was very popular in the used amp forum as well. Ending up there is not a bad thing as it can also mean more people are buying them. I'm not saying there not good products, I just need more of an explanation than "it's good for its size" or "it's good". This is where the comparisons have helped a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

My AE-2 was sold not long ago but not because I didn't love it. I was cruizing along with a great portable amp that I swore would be my last and then Justin cooked up the Pico and I couldn't resist. I did have the chance to give a prototype Pico a quick listen at a meet and that was all I needed to begin my next evil upgrade.

I did consider keeping the AE-2 but then decided to stay with my Porta Corda MkIII-USB as my iPod/backup amp.

I'm very happy with my Pico.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not too long ago, the AE-2 was very popular in the used amp forum as well.

Yes a few AE-2 went up for sale in recent months, mine included, but did you ever wonder why? Take a look at my sig for a hint.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My AE-2 was sold not long ago but not because I didn't love it.

I agonized over my decision to sell the AE-2, I absolutely loved that amp and there's still aspects of it that I miss.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If what you say is true, that it sucks and its all hype, then wont you get the same kind of responses here? I think it should be based on who is reviewing it and not what thread your reading it on. Right?

I wasn't saying it sucks, I simply said I was unsure if it is worthy of all the hype. Nothing wrong with being curious about that and nothing will resolve it besides hearing or owning the pico myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes a few AE-2 went up for sale in recent months, mine included, but did you ever wonder why? Take a look at my sig for a hint.
wink.gif

I meant a long time ago, before the pico was out or rumored about, but still I think the used fs forum example is a poor one because you never know why people put things up for sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem with FOTM products is nobody sees the bad for a while.

Oh well, I'll probably pull the trigger. The last super-FOTM product I bought turned out to be a very good purchase...Grado HF-1 #83
wink.gif

This is exactly how I feel. It's not like I think the pico is not good(I haven't even heard it). I just like seeing all reviews, the good and the bad.

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #29 of 32
Ok who are these "quality" people whom you trust with review? And where can i find reviews?

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok who are these "quality" people whom you trust with review? And where can i find reviews?

Me? When I said good and bad, I mean positive and negative reviews. Not better or worse reviewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back