Does the Onkyo HF Player on iPhone 5s truly output 24-bit/192 kHz?
May 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

s0ny

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about buying an Astell & Kern AK120 for quite a while. As an alternative, I want to try the Onkyo HF Player for my iPhone 5S. I was wondering if the actual output is really 24-bit/192 kHz or that the hardware DAC automatically reduces it to 16-bit/48 kHz.

I know iOS 8 is coming with HD Audio support, but I wonder if the iPhone 5S's Cirrus Logic DAC can truly output 24-bit or that they read 24-bit and convert it to 16-bit. If the Onkyo HF Player really outputs 24-bit on the iPhone 5S, I want to buy it. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT:

I checked the app information of the Onkyo HF Player in the Apple Store. Apparently, HD-audio is downsampled through the headphone out.

May 26, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 3
most people here who use the onkyo hf player also use the camera connection kit to ouput to an external DAC. i've used my 5s->CCK->ifi nano iDSD and output 24/192 flac to the iDSD. so yes, it can output high res, but not using the iphone's internal DAC and definitely not through the headphone out.

May 26, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 3
most people here who use the onkyo hf player also use the camera connection kit to ouput to an external DAC. i've used my 5s->CCK->ifi nano iDSD and output 24/192 flac to the iDSD. so yes, it can output high res, but not using the iphone's internal DAC and definitely not through the headphone out.
Thanks for the information. Past weekend, I ordered an iBasso HDP-R10 to get the best out of my music outdoor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back