Does the iPod Classic 160GB support FLAC? If not what other players with big storage would you recommend?
Jan 6, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
What about Cowon J3 32GB + a 64GB microSDXC card?
I think there was even talk of a 128GB microSDXC.

How do you get a 128GB micro sd card??? where do i buy one?? o.O

Quote:
How much storage is enough for you? The Cowon X7 is one, but it's more of a transportable player than portable....it's physically big in addition to the big 160GB storage.

80GB and above I guess? xD
i read that the X7s performance is pretty bad..

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
How do you get a 128GB micro sd card??? where do i buy one?? o.O

80GB and above I guess? xD
i read that the X7s performance is pretty bad..

A 128gb micro SDXC card can be had w/a Google search, or searching on Amazon.com.

And where did you hear the X7's performance was bad??? It's a great player for audio, decent for video (low res screen), the battery life is #1, the audio quality & sound enhancements are EXCELLENT, and the pricing is quite good for a 160gb DAP.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:

A 128gb micro SDXC card can be had w/a Google search, or searching on Amazon.com.

And where did you hear the X7's performance was bad??? It's a great player for audio, decent for video (low res screen), the battery life is #1, the audio quality & sound enhancements are EXCELLENT, and the pricing is quite good for a 160gb DAP.

I agree too.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #19 of 27
Not sure about this TBH - I think I remember reading that the XC cards wont work on the J3, just the SDHC cards.  I'm sure there is a file limit on the J3 too - mine has 40gb of FLAC on the 32gb + 32gb SD and have 2000 tracks already.

Quote:
What about Cowon J3 32GB + a 64GB microSDXC card?
I think there was even talk of a 128GB microSDXC.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:

Quote:
I agree too.

X 3 - wouldn't hesitate in replacing my classic when the times up with an X7.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
Not sure about this TBH - I think I remember reading that the XC cards wont work on the J3, just the SDHC cards.  I'm sure there is a file limit on the J3 too - mine has 40gb of FLAC on the 32gb + 32gb SD and have 2000 tracks already.

OK, the SDXC cards can be formatted to FAT32 and DO work in the Cowon, as well as other, players. Read the thread about it on iAudiophile.net and brush up on the latest info: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40113

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #22 of 27
Hey,
to Alphapheonix, have you tried holding down the power button for 40 seconds when its off? I did it with my Clip + (with rockbox) and it factory reset the device. It has worked ever since.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #24 of 27
converting to ALAC takes some time, heats up computer. makes such large files on your computer and etc.i've gotten used to it personally and just do it that way. plz note. ALAC usually/tends to not compress as well as FLAC resulting in larger files....this could be fixed in the near future maybe. ALAC was made for use by general public. some guy could take the code and tweak it a bit..maybe illegal.who knows.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 27
converting to ALAC takes some time, heats up computer. makes such large files on your computer and etc.i've gotten used to it personally and just do it that way. plz note. ALAC usually/tends to not compress as well as FLAC resulting in larger files....this could be fixed in the near future maybe. ALAC was made for use by general public. some guy could take the code and tweak it a bit..maybe illegal.who knows.

Conversions are actually very fast, about 30 seconds per album on my 3+ year old laptop. Sometimes the ALAC files are bigger than FLAC files, sometimes the FLAC files are bigger than ALAC files, but they both tend to average around half size of uncompressed lossless files.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
Conversions are actually very fast, about 30 seconds per album on my 3+ year old laptop. Sometimes the ALAC files are bigger than FLAC files, sometimes the FLAC files are bigger than ALAC files, but they both tend to average around half size of uncompressed lossless files.

every program is differnt sadly. I use dBpoweramp on a 4GHz Quad Core comptuer with dual channel DDR3 1333MHz Ram. half flaunting half stating information as teh CPU clock,number of cores, type of memory, channel of memory, and speed of memory do matter in encoding process. It takes about 10seconds for 4 songs..since im runnign a quad core computer, no hyper threading. and i also have it error check it after it's done with dBpoweramp. it takes me about 30 seconds to 1 minute for a album. i've had occasions where on albumb would take 2 minutes.like 12 songs...
yeah and that's why i said tended to be larger. depending on coversion level and the encoder itself. ALAC is "generally" less efficent than the general FLAC files found around. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 27
You can find a 5th generation iPod Video on eBay for around $100. Get a 160 or 240 gig hard drive (google for a list of compatible drives). Install the hard drive and Rockbox it. This is what I did, and I couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back