Does Soundstage even matter with fast rock
Jun 27, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 26
Well there always has to said..........something about the brain liking what it's used to. Old jeans, visiting a restaurant which is known. Liking the lack of surprise factors is all part of human nature.

And..........that's the rough part of new headphones...........the questions.........the fear.............the unproven nature of it all. Though if you never take the chance, you never know. The best advise maybe could be if someone could make a better science of it all to reduce the guesswork. Some, actually not some..........but many are on a three month course to discover the tone they like. It's not a result which happens to occur to the brain right away...it seems?

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 26
My favorite cans to listen to fast rock - AC DC Judas Priest, are still my HD 25s. They make this type of music get my adrenaline flowing, at times to where I feel like running through a sheet rock wall, Daniel Craig 007 style. I know this sort of thing isn't for everyone, but straight adrenaline is the best drug rush in the world. Don't ask me how I know. My youth was mostly ill advised.
These particular cans have zero Soundstage whatsoever. I have cans that have better width, depth, etc., such as the Beoplay H6 and Hifiman Edition S. I also owned the Hifiman He400s once upon a time. For whatever reason, the HD 25s just do rock better. Don't get me wrong, it also sounds great on my other cans, otherwise I wouldn't keep them. The HD 25s handle guitar distortion like a champ. Snare and kick drums are straight in your face with such a liveliness it's superb.
So I got to thinking, maybe it's the lack of Soundstage that makes these so great with rock, or maybe I simply don't prefer it with rock? They image as good, if not better than the other two sets, so maybe I simply appreciate imagining over Soundstage? I really don't know. I'm still relatively new to this.
On a side note, can anyone remove the drivers from the HD 25 and put them in a different set of cans? I literally hate everything else about them. Would this run the risk of killing the sound?
I think I know how you feel. I recently got some headphones that are lacking in soundstage, they are very mid centric and in your face...in the best way possible. I really like them for rock. I have been actually kind of confused by them because I always thought I liked and valued soundstage...I Love my modded Philips SHP9500s for example. However, I have found for Rock I really prefer the sound of a limited soundstage. My other headphones that I used to listen to rock on were open or semi open... but when I listen to them after listening to my Rock headphones, they sound unemotional, analytical, disconnected, technically better...whereas my rock headphones just ...ROCK.....
I agree, soundstage is not important when you want to rock.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #18 of 26
I think I know how you feel. I recently got some headphones that are lacking in soundstage, they are very mid centric and in your face...in the best way possible. I really like them for rock. I have been actually kind of confused by them because I always thought I liked and valued soundstage...I Love my modded Philips SHP9500s for example. However, I have found for Rock I really prefer the sound of a limited soundstage. My other headphones that I used to listen to rock on were open or semi open... but when I listen to them after listening to my Rock headphones, they sound unemotional, analytical, disconnected, technically better...whereas my rock headphones just ...ROCK.....
I agree, soundstage is not important when you want to rock.
Nice. Rock headphones just rock - perfect. So which cans are you referring to that are mid centric and in your face? I just may need these!

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 26
Nice. Rock headphones just rock - perfect. So which cans are you referring to that are mid centric and in your face? I just may need these!
Kinden...no model name, lol. With Senitek cloth pads, no longer available.
That's why I just keep calling them 'my Rock headphones"
They are clones of the Bosshifi B7 / Sivga SV005 ...I have these weird cloth pads on them that you can still get on Ali I guess. But the newest version of those other headphones come with good pads I am told. Long story short, another headfier has one of those other versions of the headphones with the newer pads...AND the same cloth pads and they sound nearly identical. (basically I bought a clone headphone and an off brand pad and they sound the same but I paid $50 instead of $80...because I am epically frugal)

Attachments

• IMG_20180603_151414_909.jpg
    IMG_20180603_151414_909.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 27, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 26
these:
IMG_20180603_151414_909.jpg

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 26
I see, possibly the new Monoprice M650s. I've been eyeballing those
I'll be honest, I am really interested in those...they look very much like an open version of my Rock headphones...it's definitely the same headband,and that headband is pretty dang good, and those things certainly LOOK the part of an excellent headphone...I am looking forward to someone taking the leap and getting a set.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #23 of 26
I'll be honest, I am really interested in those...they look very much like an open version of my Rock headphones...it's definitely the same headband,and that headband is pretty dang good, and those things certainly LOOK the part of an excellent headphone...I am looking forward to someone taking the leap and getting a set.
Do it! Let me know how they are. I just pulled the trigger on the HD 58X Jubilee, so I better chill for a bit. I've been on a can spending spree

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #24 of 26
I am torn...here's what I have been thinking....I have access to really high quality wood working equipment and a master carpenter that is kinda into headphones...so I could open up the cups on the set I have if I want to...and I like an open sound, but, would it ruin the charm of these headphones? Maybe they are at their best being kind of closed?
Then Monoprice came out with headphones that look a lot like what I was planning...so...I'm waiting to see what people think.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #25 of 26
Do it! Let me know how they are. I just pulled the trigger on the HD 58X Jubilee, so I better chill for a bit. I've been on a can spending spree
no...my next headphone is going to be...the 58x, or HE4xx...or maybe a good old fashioned DT880....oh! or maybe a Fidelio X2.....I don't know...the right door will open at the right time.

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #26 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back